ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC K12 VS. JBL SRX712 OR Yamaha DSR112  (Read 23015 times)

Paul Miller

Re: QSC K12 VS. JBL SRX712 OR Yamaha DSR112
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 08:50:54 AM »

If you have the safety factor, pick up the speakers another 5 feet and tip them down.
More even coverage and all the energy will hit the crowd.

I keep the bottoms of the cabinets about 5.5' high, which is probably a bit on the conservative side. I think I can get another foot of height out of the stands. I'll try that and the tilt down orientation. The TS88B would get me just over 9'. Anything more than that and I'd need a Global Truss ST132 or similar, which just seems like overkill.

The sub/speaker within the railing wrap is well-protected...unless a yahoo decides to hop up on the sub and dance....

The biggest issue is keeping drinks off the stacked subs as they make a nice table for anyone standing nearby. Next biggest issue was girls that wanted to dry hump them, solved by putting stanchions in front. I haven't yet had anyone trying to climb up onto them but anything can happen.

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 09:12:53 AM »

I keep the bottoms of the cabinets about 5.5' high, which is probably a bit on the conservative side. I think I can get another foot of height out of the stands. I'll try that and the tilt down orientation. The TS88B would get me just over 9'. Anything more than that and I'd need a Global Truss ST132 or similar, which just seems like overkill.

The biggest issue is keeping drinks off the stacked subs as they make a nice table for anyone standing nearby. Next biggest issue was girls that wanted to dry hump them, solved by putting stanchions in front. I haven't yet had anyone trying to climb up onto them but anything can happen.

"I haven't yet had anyone trying to climb up onto them but anything can happen."  It's only a matter of time before it does....  Sometimes you have to "out-punt" a punter.   A yahoo (punter) would probably think that dancing on a speaker would make a great selfie....

I have seen (on other forums) other DJ's make a cover (out of plywood, painted, etc.) that sits on the sub (with a hole for the speaker pole) that creates a sloped surface that drinks cannot sit on.

Best to be proactive.

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 03:40:31 PM »

To me, if I can provide significantly better sound at the same size and weight that's a win. The SRX712s are rather unassuming in the looks department, so I'm going to check with the promoter to clarify exactly what his expectations are.

Speaking as a club DJ who plays a lot of today's music, I think bringing your SRX tops will definitely be noticed. I've DJed on K12s, and they do not appreciate being pushed. I haven't DJed on SRX-712s but have on 715s and they thrived on it - never losing their composure at high SPLs.

I'd like to see four K181s. I think your 712s will outrun just three.

Regarding patrons on subs, the club I'm currently employed in has large laminated signs on the tops of each sub saying "Do not stand or place drinks on Subs!" That's the first line of defense, and actually does a pretty good job. For those who ignore the signs, security catches them. There's four in the room, and the primary job of one is to monitor the dance area.

Ladies twerking on subs is allowed as long as they don't climb on them. I wouldn't want to lose that. It makes my night go by much faster :D

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 09:48:19 PM »

I've had people put their drinks on the no drinks sign.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 10:12:40 PM »

^ That's why they're laminated lol. They're not foolproof (and I mean that literally) but they do stop quite a bit of that kind of stuff.

Jay Marr

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 12:51:47 PM »

I've had people put their drinks on the no drinks sign.

Me too.

That's when I accidentally kick them off....

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 01:49:29 PM »

Speaking as a club DJ who plays a lot of today's music, I think bringing your SRX tops will definitely be noticed. I've DJed on K12s, and they do not appreciate being pushed. I haven't DJed on SRX-712s but have on 715s and they thrived on it - never losing their composure at high SPLs.

Regarding patrons on subs, the club I'm currently employed in has large laminated signs on the tops of each sub saying "Do not stand or place drinks on Subs!" That's the first line of defense, and actually does a pretty good job. For those who ignore the signs, security catches them. There's four in the room, and the primary job of one is to monitor the dance area.

Ladies twerking on subs is allowed as long as they don't climb on them. I wouldn't want to lose that. It makes my night go by much faster :D
I agree on 4 of the subs. Btw, make sure all the polarity switches are in the same position. I once didn't and they cancelled pretty good.

Higher and aimed down. ST132s are much more stable, sturdy and go higher. That makes for better sound and more safety. More safety isn't overkill.

Make slant tops for the subs. Solves the drinks and climbing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2017, 02:21:35 PM »

Me too.

That's when I accidentally kick them off....

I was working a show in a club Wildwood, NJ where the customers would use any kind of flat surface as a place for their drinks (mostly a stand-up venue).  I tipped the wait staff to remove them from my mixer (covered, with a NO DRINKS sign on it) for a couple days, then they refused my money.  It seems they did well from selling replacement drinks and if a customer objected to its removal they just pointed to the sign.

I will try to explain this in simple terms:  The *public* doesn't give a fuck about your precious subwoofers, PA speakers, monitor wedges, amp racks, mics or consoles.  It's just furniture or props provided for their good time.  How dare you challenge their full and unfettered enjoyment of your stuff!  The effect is multiplied after a couple of alcoholic beverages.

All of the talk about making stuff drunk-safe is either spot on or wasted effort, depending on how you look at it and where your live/work.  Here in Kansas, a drunk person swinging from the PA and having the speakers land only on the drunk would likely result in a small, if any settlement - provided you meet the "reasonable person" test regarding your efforts to keep your rig from falling over.  In other jurisdictions you or your insurer might be paying out big time $$ because some drunk asshole hurt himself in spite of your best efforts.  You *can* significantly reduce the attraction of idiots to your system but chances are most of the effective deterrents are ugly, expensive or offensive and therefor not acceptable to your venue or client.

The pubic are clueless, unobservant and generally stupid.  Public drunk or on stimulants are even worse.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Richard Penrose

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2017, 03:28:06 PM »

I have a foam acoustic tiles with spiked pyramids on top of my subs with a "No food or drinks" sign on top and I've STILL had two ocassions where a drunk person tried to balance a drink on top of the spikes unsuccessfully!! The first time this happened the drink fell down the back of the sub into the mains board behind them which resulted in a blackout onstage! However, generally this has significantly reduced people putting drinks on the subs!

Paul Miller

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2017, 03:33:39 PM »

Yes a fourth KW181 would be ideal but that's beyond the scope of this post.

I agree on 4 of the subs.

Well it seems like we can all agree that 4 subs would be best.  :)

Come to think of it, this season I will have access to one more KW181, but it would be a bit of a hassle to get to each week. Remember, so far I haven't been getting paid to supply equipment. Maybe I can use the third sub I've been bringing, this newly available fourth, and my SRXs to complete a more compelling upgrade package deal.

When I took over the job, the previous tech was renting the event his two KW181s, which the venue ended up buying from him. When he was going over the setup with me, he recommended that I use both of them and 2 K12s to make the promoter happy, even though in his opinion it was "way overkill". I guess people have different ideas of how much is enough.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2017, 03:33:39 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.