ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendations for a lightweight powered subwoofer to pair with ZLX12p for e-drums  (Read 4755 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina

I know many aren't fans of the ZLX12p but I bought one as mini PA for stage volume just for my e-drums when I use them. Worked well but I'm thinking of getting a lightweight sub to match up with it.

Thoughts? I've looked online at EV ELX118p, a Turbosound IP15b because they are around 500-600 b stock via eBay. Other thoughts in that range?

What about doing things a bit differently and getting a 15" that is renowned to have really good low end like the Yamaha DXR15? That way you won't have to lug around (or purchase) a sub and could relegate your EV to monitor duty or even sell it to make up some of the cost.
The DXR15 is an amazing performer especially in the low frequencies- I used to own a pair and although I sold them because they didn't get enough use, I was always really impressed when I put them through their paces.  I know a few DJ's who use them without subs and they get great low end response.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

jesseweiss

I have a pair of RCF ART800a subs.  They're a molded plastic powered 15".  I use them for small acoustic gigs, but I think they'd be perfect for an eDrum set up.
GC.com has a used pair for sale.
Thanks I'll look.

jesseweiss

What about doing things a bit differently and getting a 15" that is renowned to have really good low end like the Yamaha DXR15? That way you won't have to lug around (or purchase) a sub and could relegate your EV to monitor duty or even sell it to make up some of the cost.
The DXR15 is an amazing performer especially in the low frequencies- I used to own a pair and although I sold them because they didn't get enough use, I was always really impressed when I put them through their paces.  I know a few DJ's who use them without subs and they get great low end response.
It's actually a good idea. Sell old Behringers to pay for another ZLX so those 2 are our monitors and the DXR15 for drums. Less to carry and can use DXR as my monitor when using acoustic kit.

Only caveat is money, as always as I seem to spend a lot of my own money on PA because I want us to sound good.

That's why I was looking at cheaper options. Also looking at Alto TS2 subs because can be had for like 450.

Anyone have experience with the newer Alto TS subs?

Jason Joseph

• Vibrant Soundz
    • VibrantSoundz.net

Rule of thumb is buy once cry once..

jesseweiss

How would a prx715 fare? GC has them new for 549.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina

How would a prx715 fare? GC has them new for 549.

Good price and a good speaker. It might be enough for you. I know the DXR will have a more enhanced low end but it depends on what will work for you. Generally you will get a better result from a 15" than a 12" speaker anyway for your application- if you choose to not get the sub that is.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Paul G. OBrien

I don't know if a 15" powered speaker will deliver what the OP wants here, the DXR15 is a very nice sounding box(I own a set) but up on stands they don't deliver much thump compared to a ZLX12p pole mounted over even a half decent sub.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 09:21:29 pm by Paul G. OBrien »

jesseweiss

It really depends on how much thump I need as it's just for "stage volume" when using it live since it will be in the FOH sub.

Then again just a sub is cheaper than a DXR15 and another zlx as a monitor.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 19 queries.