ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: STS subs - anyone familiar?  (Read 3939 times)

Dana Mattheson

STS subs - anyone familiar?
« on: April 10, 2019, 11:02:48 AM »

Hey, I'm being offered a free pair of STS speakers (image attached). I believe they are subs, but am having a very hard time finding any information on them online.

Is anyone familiar with these? Mostly concerned with what kind of amp I'd need to power them, and whether they can run in parallel, but I'd also just like any general thoughts/info people can offer (are they actually subs? are they such crap that they're not worth getting, even for free? etc).

Thanks!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 11:47:55 AM »

Hey, I'm being offered a free pair of STS speakers

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: STS subs - anyone familiar?
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 10:07:10 PM »

Hey, I'm being offered a free pair of STS speakers (image attached). I believe they are subs, but am having a very hard time finding any information on them online.

Is anyone familiar with these? Mostly concerned with what kind of amp I'd need to power them, and whether they can run in parallel, but I'd also just like any general thoughts/info people can offer (are they actually subs? are they such crap that they're not worth getting, even for free? etc).

Thanks!
Dana,

The speakers appear to be a folded horn bass cabinet from SoundTech Speakers, (definitely not the Southern Thunder Sound STS) likely using 8 ohm Eminence drivers of some sort, so a pair could be run in parallel on most any amp. As a guess, the drivers can probably take around 200 watts, no need for a mega-amp.

Likely from the mid-1990s, so they don't belong in the 1979 and prior era of the History of Concert Sound forum.

The horn probably has a low frequency cut-off in the 50-60 Hz range, not very "sub-ish" by today's standards, but may be decent as "kick" bins, depending on the condition of the drivers.

Whether they are worth getting depends on driver and cabinet condition, and if you have a use (and room) for them.

Art

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 03:29:45 AM »

Better than nothing, but not much better. May not be worth the effort to haul anywhere.

I assume these have 1/4" speaker connectors on the back. Don't try to hook them up with instrument cables.

Thanks!
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 03:29:45 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 26 queries.