ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense  (Read 20417 times)

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense
« on: January 06, 2017, 12:03:31 AM »

This is one of my favorite concert movies of all time... love all of the songs, and the production value is so incredible.

Does anyone know what type of vocal mics they used for the show? Looks like they're all nearly identical, and that they could possibly be some Audix mics, but I'm not 100% certain.

Timeless.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
Re: Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 12:51:59 AM »

There's a good closeup at 14:16.  Not an Audix.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 12:27:37 PM »

Looks Beyer-ish to me, but I can't be certain.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 02:45:22 PM »

Looks Beyer-ish to me, but I can't be certain.

Dave

been staring at that vocal mic for 30 minutes now and can't figure out what it is...

i really need to get a hobby....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 05:24:07 PM »

shure made for a hot moment sm57s and sm58s without output transformers and called them 77s and 78s. The David Byrne vocal mic looks to be one.  Why do I have this useless information rattling around in my head?  Because I still have a few of those mics  rolling around in the b stock mic drawers.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 05:49:26 PM »

shure made for a hot moment sm57s and sm58s without output transformers and called them 77s and 78s. The David Byrne vocal mic looks to be one.  Why do I have this useless information rattling around in my head?  Because I still have a few of those mics  rolling around in the b stock mic drawers.
Over the years there have been some "short runs" of products that most people are not aware of.

A couple I remember are the Crown MT1000.  NOT the 1200.  It was the first one out-but not for long.

There was also a Crown MT1200 that was a cross between the MA and MT1200.  I guess it was during the transition to the MA series.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 06:07:43 PM »

shure made for a hot moment sm57s and sm58s without output transformers and called them 77s and 78s.

You may have won a kewpie doll!

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Ted Kulczycky

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 04:16:03 AM »

According to the equipment manifest for this tour, the following mics were used:

5 x 421 Sennheiser
5 x 441 Sennheiser
5 x SM56 Shure
1 x SM57 Shure
2 x SM58 Shure
1 x SM77 Shure
5 x SM78 Shure
4 x 451 AKA
2 x 414 AKA
1 x SM81 Shure
1 x 416 Sennheiser

This is one of my favorite concert movies of all time... love all of the songs, and the production value is so incredible.

Does anyone know what type of vocal mics they used for the show? Looks like they're all nearly identical, and that they could possibly be some Audix mics, but I'm not 100% certain.

Timeless.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 08:18:03 AM »

I have 3 of the 78's too. They sound awesome on light, breathy vocals. And saxes too.

The handles were covered in a soft-touch rubber that has degraded into goo by now. Mine are wrapped in gaff tape.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 12:32:14 PM »

According to the equipment manifest for this tour, the following mics were used:

5 x 421 Sennheiser
5 x 441 Sennheiser
5 x SM56 Shure
1 x SM57 Shure
2 x SM58 Shure
1 x SM77 Shure
5 x SM78 Shure
4 x 451 AKA
2 x 414 AKA
1 x SM81 Shure
1 x 416 Sennheiser

That's great info, I'd love to know how you found that!

BTW - You'll need to change your username to your full name which is a requirement to post here.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 01:06:29 PM »

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Ted Kulczycky

Re: Posting Rules
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 07:36:49 PM »

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Fixed. Thank you.

Mike Smith

• Event Technical Systems
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 02:30:47 PM »

Over the years there have been some "short runs" of products that most people are not aware of.

A couple I remember are the Crown MT1000.  NOT the 1200.  It was the first one out-but not for long.

There was also a Crown MT1200 that was a cross between the MA and MT1200.  I guess it was during the transition to the MA series.

I bought some of the first Crown Microtech amps when they were introduced in the mid 80s. As a big Crown fan at the time, and user of multiple black-face DC300A-II models (the upside-down ones) I jumped at a chance to get improved power, efficiency, and packing density (The fans are inside? I'll take that!). Eventually had three 1000 amps, only blew up one (on monitors at a Lonnie Mack club-gig). They were crude amps by today's standards but I suppose they competed fairly well with their contemporaries. It would be decades before I bought another Crown product! Of course, the Macrotech Series was an improvement over the Microtech in just about every way imaginable, but I'd already moved in a different direction.

...and to sort of get back on topic, I do remember those funky gray little Shures, and Stop Making Sense is my favorite live concert film ever. David Byrne had moments of genius during his career.
Mike Smith

Event Technical Systems

http://www.eventtechnicalsystems.com/

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 07:38:41 PM »

I bought some of the first Crown Microtech amps when they were introduced in the mid 80s.  Eventually had three 1000 amps, only blew up one (on monitors at a Lonnie Mack club-gig). They were crude amps by today's standards but I suppose they competed fairly well with their contemporaries. It would be decades before I bought another Crown product! Of course, the Macrotech Series was an improvement over the Microtech in just about every way imaginable, but I'd already moved in a different direction.

What I "heard" was that the original 1000 blew up a lot.  And they discontinued it and reworked it and came up with the 1200.  Which was a very solid amp.

I had several brought to me to repair-and when I saw the insides and the damage done, I turned the repair down.  To much work.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 10:19:01 PM »

shure made for a hot moment sm57s and sm58s without output transformers and called them 77s and 78s. The David Byrne vocal mic looks to be one.  Why do I have this useless information rattling around in my head?  Because I still have a few of those mics rolling around in the b stock mic drawers.
I also bought several SM 78s, they did not have the "classic" Sure transformer distortion, and were available in several "designer" colors. The pseudo-suede like finish picked up dirt like a sponge, so the mics would look ratty in a month, and you could not re-paint them with any normal paint. They did not "catch on" with the touring business, sold them all off by 1982 or 1983.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 03:52:10 PM by Art Welter »

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 10:52:24 AM »

What I "heard" was that the original 1000 blew up a lot.

They were Crown's knee-jerk response to the Carver PM1.5. At that time, Crown was self-congratulatory over the introduction of their "revolutionary" PSA-2. The rush to market in the MT1000 next product showed...(There was an MT "LX" series that sucked also.)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 10:55:09 AM by Jim McKeveny »

Mal Brown

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2019, 12:20:38 AM »

I am a huge TH fan.  saw them many times in my back east days.  Saw the Stop Making Sense tour once in Sprinfield, MA.  One of the best Heads shows ever for me.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2019, 11:37:27 PM »

I'm so glad I happened to stumble back to this post - I had missed a lot of great info and history. Thanks everyone for sharing!!! I really love this.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2019, 06:51:19 PM »

Slightly related: worked with Clutch last week. Lead vocal was an SM58 with a black grille. Looked great. Considering buying a few black grilles to have on hand for ours for certain gigs.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2019, 08:32:06 PM »

Slightly related: worked with Clutch last week. Lead vocal was an SM58 with a black grille. Looked great. Considering buying a few black grilles to have on hand for ours for certain gigs.

Clutch was always one of the friendliest bands I worked with. Super great bunch of guys....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2019, 09:47:05 PM »

Clutch was always one of the friendliest bands I worked with. Super great bunch of guys....

Confirmed!

Pat Latimer

• Charleston, S.C.
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2019, 07:50:19 PM »

Confirmed!

Agreed! Solid group of guys.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2019, 04:14:44 PM »

They came through Wichita a few days after your show.  As always, Clutch was a pleasure to work with.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2019, 04:14:44 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.