ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Large garage  (Read 5458 times)

Jon Quincy

Large garage
« on: January 05, 2017, 12:14:16 AM »

I know this is a Pro Audio Forum but I am looking for some advice, and I think it might have to be pro equipment. I have good friend that has a large 12 car garage. On the one wall he has a 100" TV and he sits back on a patio table and watches his movies/music and has never been happy with the sound. He spends most of his time at home in the garage. We have tried several different consumer sound setups and nothing has sounded very well...Being a garage there is an echo. We are just trying to figure out how to get a good sound that fills the room. My friend knows he will have to spend some money to make it work, So i am looking for some thoughts. I was thinking a set of Bose 802 and a Behringer iNUKE NU3000DSP, or amazon has a set with amp and subhttps://www.amazon.com/Bose-Portable-Loudspeaker-Amplifier-Accessories/dp/B0057YGZFS/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1483592867&sr=1-2&keywords=bose+802 for $3195. He would pay it if we knew it would sound good in the garage but it seems like a gamble without knowing. Of course im not married to Bose and would take suggestions of other brands.

Thanks!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Large garage
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 01:09:16 AM »

I think someone that can afford a 12 car garage can hire a professional to make it sound great instead of set of Bose speakers and a very average amplifier.

If it were my 12 car garage I would probably put in a bunch of pendant speakers so it did not have to be cranked up to get uniform coverage.  A really nice sub that can go deep deep deep would warm it up nice.

I also asked a mod to move this to the lounge or basement.

BTW welcome. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 07:28:45 AM »

How loud does he like it, how bass-heavy, what styles of music? 

I would start with some acoustical treatment first.  Perdue has options that both perform well and look nice, such as the Wave series.  Even Acoustics in a Box, their DIY option, really helps and is easy to install and isn't crazy expensive.

Check out Tannoy AMS series or Martin CDD series, with Lab.Gruppen, Powersoft, QSC, or Crown power. 

Hire someone who does this regularly.  It's the difference between getting great sound versus a pile of mediocre gear. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Jon Quincy

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 09:57:05 AM »

How loud does he like it, how bass-heavy, what styles of music? 

I would start with some acoustical treatment first.  Perdue has options that both perform well and look nice, such as the Wave series.  Even Acoustics in a Box, their DIY option, really helps and is easy to install and isn't crazy expensive.

Check out Tannoy AMS series or Martin CDD series, with Lab.Gruppen, Powersoft, QSC, or Crown power. 

Hire someone who does this regularly.  It's the difference between getting great sound versus a pile of mediocre gear.

Thanks for the info! He listens to alot of Michael Jackson/Prince but likes pop-country and classic rock as well... yes he likes to really crank his music up.

The tiles are interesting to help with the echo.

This is in rural Nebraska so there is no Professionals close by. I had the company that was re-doing our church sound system come look a year ago and thy installed an amp and an Octasound SP800 and said to just crank it up...its better than what he had (speakers in the TV) but nothing great.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 10:59:09 AM »

What part a rural Nebraska?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Jon Quincy

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 01:22:37 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Columbus area

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 10:24:52 AM »

Isn't *ALL* of Nebraska "rural" ?!? :-D
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 03:17:25 PM »

Thanks for the info! He listens to alot of Michael Jackson/Prince but likes pop-country and classic rock as well... yes he likes to really crank his music up.

The tiles are interesting to help with the echo.

This is in rural Nebraska so there is no Professionals close by. I had the company that was re-doing our church sound system come look a year ago and thy installed an amp and an Octasound SP800 and said to just crank it up...its better than what he had (speakers in the TV) but nothing great.

It appears there wern't any "Professionals" around at that time either!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 01:45:35 AM »

Isn't *ALL* of Nebraska "rural" ?!? :-D

Once you're out of Omaha or Lincoln, you're on your own.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 02:26:00 AM »

Once you're out of Omaha or Lincoln, you're on your own.

I visited a friend in Council Bluffs and he would get really annoyed when I said Omaha. 

I don't get upset when people say I live in Cleveland, I don't even live in the same county.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 10:23:45 AM »

I visited a friend in Council Bluffs and he would get really annoyed when I said Omaha. 

I don't get upset when people say I live in Cleveland, I don't even live in the same county.
Yes, but you do live at least, in the same state!
 ;)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 10:23:45 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.