ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: What? No NYE Pics?  (Read 18967 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: What? No NYE Pics?
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2017, 05:06:41 PM »

They are 30" square baseplates with 75lbs of sandbags per side. What is the proper way to calculate the amount of ballast needed and baseplate size?

I'm only an eyeball engineer, but you need to find the center of gravity, which in this case is very high.  Movers and speakers all up there.  You can then see how what angle you need to get to have the CG pass the baseplate edge (15" from center).  With an 8' high CG the angle is around 9 degrees.  This lifts the far edge of the baseplate about 4 1/2", and the ballast somewhat less than that.  Probably wouldn't happen, but I would rather see a long leg to the rear with ballast on that.  Even 2 or 3 feet would multiply the safety factor greatly.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Rob Gow

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2017, 07:11:50 PM »

Couple videos from our NYE gig

Mony Mony
http://youtu.be/xjNfoXKqjG0

TNT
http://youtu.be/sSEdunzYJBI

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2017, 09:44:10 PM »

I was going to post a picture, but who needs to see me sleeping on the couch with my dog.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2017, 11:52:33 PM »

I was going to post a picture, but who needs to see me sleeping on the couch with my dog.

"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Steve Garris

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2017, 05:25:50 PM »

Great posts everyone. I'm pretty proud of my light show, and when I run for my main band we always go all out. This is a 250 seat club, we had about 300 in the room. The older PRX PA with an SRX sub is all house. The large truss and front wash is also house. We bring in the back truss (toy), small pars, everything you see in the back, and my side mounted bars have some cheap movers. I run this with preset scenes on a Magic 260. I mix sound via iPad on a Mackie DL. We like thumping, power driving 80's rock with big hair, lot's of smoke and fans at the front of the stage. All these people are 40+ BTW. As a soundman, I get lot's of love because I truly care and want to be the best.

I thank those of you here for excellent advise since I joined this forum several years ago. Yes, I know those speakers are flown from the handles.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2017, 11:19:16 AM »

Nice gig.  Liane Carroll is amazing.
Great musicians and nice people.  They have been doing NYE here for the last eight years.  Last time I did this gig though was five years ago and they still remembered me.

You don't need any effects on the PA as the room is awash with natural reverb.
I did a folk gig in a church last month (Reg Meuross), After a quick sound check we decided that reverb would not be necessary!

Steve.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 11:25:46 AM by Steve M Smith »

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2017, 02:16:10 PM »

I kind of like the speaker mounts on the side of the truss.
What's keeping the truss from tipping over?
It looks like smallish bases with sandbags.
Seems inadequate to me, One big drunk tripping and slamming into the upright....

I have wondered about this for a while. With that style of truss and the pedestal with a mover on top. The base plate never looked big enough for the height of the COG. How would I determine the ballast and size base plate needed for this type of setup?
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2017, 02:27:14 PM »

I have wondered about this for a while. With that style of truss and the pedestal with a mover on top. The base plate never looked big enough for the height of the COG. How would I determine the ballast and size base plate needed for this type of setup?

How high up the tower is the "drunk slammer" energy being applied?  The lower the hit, vertically, the less likely it is to tip.  With flat bases (we use 30" x 30" or 48" x 48") it's more likely to slide horizontally on the floor.

That doesn't mean any particular arrangment is safe, only that WHERE the force is applied is also part of the equation.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2017, 03:09:54 PM »

Great posts everyone. I'm pretty proud of my light show, and when I run for my main band we always go all out. This is a 250 seat club, we had about 300 in the room. The older PRX PA with an SRX sub is all house. The large truss and front wash is also house. We bring in the back truss (toy), small pars, everything you see in the back, and my side mounted bars have some cheap movers. I run this with preset scenes on a Magic 260. I mix sound via iPad on a Mackie DL. We like thumping, power driving 80's rock with big hair, lot's of smoke and fans at the front of the stage. All these people are 40+ BTW. As a soundman, I get lot's of love because I truly care and want to be the best.

I thank those of you here for excellent advise since I joined this forum several years ago. Yes, I know those speakers are flown from the handles.

Nice...I like. Now where's that can of hair spray left over from the '80's?

Terry Martin

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2017, 02:33:14 PM »

Looks like a fun band - what's the location?   We do a similar act, but no wigs.   Can't imagine how hot that would be!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2017, 02:33:14 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 26 queries.