ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: What? No NYE Pics?  (Read 18784 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: What? No NYE Pics?
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2017, 12:53:19 AM »

Yeah, I know where you're coming from. We had to make a change a couple of years ago, based on a couple of clients' comments. Cool-looking flashy moving lights used to be the baseline that we built up from. Good face lighting is now the baseline that we build up from. It's kind of like when I discovered that the lead vocal being on top is more important than the "synergy" between the bass guitar and the kick drum! :)

I will never, ever say another bad word about a lampie again.

Three or four months ago I stopped by a gig I was providing the PA for just to make sure the system was ready to go for the show.  Their lighting guy had been in a car accident on the way to the gig.  Nobody hurt but the LD was gone.

We are talking about a regional touring act, three of the guys played in a band you possibly have heard of and they carry around a decent rig with an ETC console.  The band did setup and the LD had all the fixtures labeled so setting up wasn't a problem.  The band leader asked me if I could possibly stay and busk the show.  Famous last words, there are lots of scenes in the board and you know are songs.

Well yeah, I know who solo's and a few cues.  This guy had hundreds of scenes he would layer, busk and tempo out.  What I put together was beyond awful, punctuated by activating the blinders on one page and then not being able to find the scene they were on in so we went half into the next song with the blinders at OMG and the strip lights in chase mode and the movers squirming around in an epileptic fit. 

So to all you LD's that make it look easy my hats off to you.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2017, 06:53:29 AM »

I will never, ever say another bad word about a lampie again.

Three or four months ago I stopped by a gig I was providing the PA for just to make sure the system was ready to go for the show.  Their lighting guy had been in a car accident on the way to the gig.  Nobody hurt but the LD was gone.

We are talking about a regional touring act, three of the guys played in a band you possibly have heard of and they carry around a decent rig with an ETC console.  The band did setup and the LD had all the fixtures labeled so setting up wasn't a problem.  The band leader asked me if I could possibly stay and busk the show.  Famous last words, there are lots of scenes in the board and you know are songs.

Well yeah, I know who solo's and a few cues.  This guy had hundreds of scenes he would layer, busk and tempo out.  What I put together was beyond awful, punctuated by activating the blinders on one page and then not being able to find the scene they were on in so we went half into the next song with the blinders at OMG and the strip lights in chase mode and the movers squirming around in an epileptic fit. 

So to all you LD's that make it look easy my hats off to you.

Lights are a totally different animal than sound.  In my local sound-providing travels I have run across a few local light providers that just "do" lights.  A common thread for the ones' that I have worked with (locally) is that they seem to be theater people; amateur actors that took a liking to light-design.  Totally nice people to work with.  Most, of which, look at what I do (providing sound) and say "I don't know how you do it..."  I feel the same way about what they do...

To stay somewhat relevant in my little sound venture I purchased a basic (16 fixtures, Elation board, etc.) light rig several years ago.  Part way through the first year that I had it, it paid for itself and has been a steady revenue-maker for me ever since.  I have even been hired to "just do lights" for several small/local band shows.

Lights done right; truss, movers, fog, etc. makes an act look like they sound better.  This gives truth to the notion that people sometimes "listen with their eyes".   

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2017, 07:17:25 AM »

Well, yea, he set up all the pages, one would hope he knew where everything was.  While the house guy for a techno club, I designed and ran the lights, too, with many compliments from the guests, but if you stuck me in front of someone else's console, I wouldn't know where to start.  At least with lights, they are either off or various shades of bright

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2017, 07:25:53 AM »

I've provided at one of the venues for First Night in Evanston, IL now for a few years.  This year my headliner was Erwin Helfer and his trio, consisting of Katherine Davis vocals, and John Brumbach on sax.

Simple rig in the First Congregational Church-a pair of SPL Runts(early editionof the Danley SH95), a pair of my 12" coax monitors, one amp rack, and my QU-24 mixer, which are far house right hiding behind the Christmas tree.(out of view).

Legendary talent.  At 80, he can still tear up that piano with some boogie woogie.

Best regards,

John

Dave Bednarski

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2017, 07:58:30 AM »

I sat out this year and found myself kinda depressed about not working and poking around the NYE video from the previous year!  https://youtu.be/hAjl3AiqvXg

David Smeaton

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2017, 08:04:34 AM »

I had a very easy New Year's Eve gig.  The Liane Carroll Jazz Trio at The Royal Hotel, Ventnor, Isle of Wight.  A posh place which wouldn't usually allow the likes of me in!

A Soundcraft Si with a pair of EAW JFX290s FOH and another pair for monitors.

When I got there, the Yamaha piano was playing all by itself, so it did a soundcheck before the band turned up!

Steve.
Nice gig.  Liane Carroll is amazing. 

I did a NYE gig at the Bath Pump Rooms in ... err..... Bath, in the UK.  Beautiful venue but a horrible room to play with very high ceilings with marble walls!  You don't need any effects on the PA as the room is awash with natural reverb.  Not even 350 revellers could calm it down!!  Only bad thing was we had to wait for the function to finish at 1.30am before we could start to tear down and load out.  I was home for about 3.30am!!

veditor78

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2017, 11:55:45 AM »

Here's a video I made that includes time-lapse of the setup and video of the countdown.

Once change I made after I did setup was I mounted the speakers on the truss. It removed a tripping hazard and got the speakers higher. I used the solid On-Stage wall mount brackets and attached half-couplers to them.

Feel free to criticize!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2hGbH2-S20
Josh Rawls

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2017, 01:52:40 PM »

I kind of like the speaker mounts on the side of the truss.
What's keeping the truss from tipping over?
It looks like smallish bases with sandbags.
Seems inadequate to me, One big drunk tripping and slamming into the upright....
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

veditor78

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2017, 03:47:48 PM »

I kind of like the speaker mounts on the side of the truss.
What's keeping the truss from tipping over?
It looks like smallish bases with sandbags.
Seems inadequate to me, One big drunk tripping and slamming into the upright....

They are 30" square baseplates with 75lbs of sandbags per side. What is the proper way to calculate the amount of ballast needed and baseplate size?
Josh Rawls

Kevin_Tisdall

• Milford, CT
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2017, 03:58:21 PM »

Local Beatles Tribute in a local church NYE.  My audio and lights, such as they are.  It went off well.

https://flic.kr/p/PGtUb7

« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 04:01:06 PM by Kevin_Tisdall »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2017, 03:58:21 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.