ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hacking an LED drape? Chauvet Sparklite  (Read 4460 times)

dave moldover

• Dance Jam Productions
Hacking an LED drape? Chauvet Sparklite
« on: December 30, 2016, 11:47:38 AM »

We have Chauvet Sparklite LED drape installed on a multi day show. The driver unit died. Probably the main power supply. Can't get a replacement fast. Anyone have a guess how to hotwire the drapes themselves? 5pin xlr goes from the driver to each drape panel. I'm guessing DC low voltage current is sent on different pins to make different intensity for the Red, Green, Blue LEDs. Seems like we could use a power supply to get at least a single color going just to finish the show. Any ideas? Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 12:58:37 PM by dave moldover »

Jerome Malsack

Re: Hacking a LED drape? Chauvet Sparklite
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 12:27:23 PM »

We have Chauvet Sparklite LED drape installed on a multi day show. The driver unit died. Probably the main power supply. Can't get a replacement fast. Anyone have a guess how to hotwire the drapes themselves? 5pin xlr goes from the driver to each drape panel. I'm guessing DC low voltage current is sent on different pins to make different intensity for the Red, Green, Blue LEDs. Seems like we could use a power supply to get at least a single color going just to finish the show. Any ideas? Thanks.

I see on the IEC power connector a place for the fuse on the power supply was this checked and replaced with a known good fuse ?

dave moldover

• Dance Jam Productions
Re: Hacking a LED drape? Chauvet Sparklite
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 12:58:23 PM »

I see on the IEC power connector a place for the fuse on the power supply was this checked and replaced with a known good fuse ?
Yes, I confirmed mains power is present beyond the fuse and power switch. No fan, no menu, I will have it checked next chance I have. Hoping for a way to power the LEDs so our drape is not dark the next 3 show days.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Hacking an LED drape? Chauvet Sparklite
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 04:28:56 PM »

Most LEDs are not driven with pure D.C.  Usually it is a pulsed signal with the duty cycle variable for intensity. If you try D.C. , then be sure to current limit or you may fry it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

dave moldover

• Dance Jam Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 09:48:23 PM »

Thanks. did not end up experimenting with this. The controller is in the shop. Hopefully it can be repaired. I was hoping for a simple solution to get a static scene on those drapes. They were dark through the whole show...

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 12:28:09 AM »

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to see how much a spare/backup controller-power supply costs. (Depending on how important the LED drapes are to the show.) YMMV.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

dave moldover

• Dance Jam Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 01:06:49 PM »

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to see how much a spare/backup controller-power supply costs. (Depending on how important the LED drapes are to the show.) YMMV.

Yes.. looking into the cost of a spare controller. So far no luck as these were discontinued in 2014.

dave moldover

• Dance Jam Productions
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 03:14:30 AM »

It DIED again! first day of a 5 day event and no sparklite in my drapes... Anyone in NYC area have a Chauvet Sparklite drape controller we can rent or buy? ANyone have an old unit collecting dust somewhere. Would love to have a spare. Chauvet is no help since it's a discontinued fixture. Thanks.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 04:21:39 PM »

Can you see if all 5 wires are actually being used coming out of the controller to the LED panels? LED ropes/strips operate on a 4 or 5-wire setup, so you might be able to get a generic PSU (that matches the output of the ADJ unit) and DMX decoder (Probably about $50 total) that could power everything relatively easily.

If you can find a pinout diagram that would be even better, I wouldn't recommend going full power as you can easily burn out emitters if they're wired incorrectly.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 05:45:16 PM »

two words: 'logic analyzer'
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 05:45:16 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.