ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite lighting T-Bar/Tripod?  (Read 9598 times)

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
Favorite lighting T-Bar/Tripod?
« on: December 28, 2016, 03:22:24 PM »

I have 24 LED PARs that I currently have deployed in groups of 6 (4 tripods). I'm not super pleased with my current tripods (Monoprice; purchased as a trial) and am looking for options.

I don't need crank lifts or anything crazy. We have trussing that we use for bigger shows.

We're looking for portable tripods that are stable, and can raise to around 12-feet. If they can fit into a flight case (with fixtures attached), all the better. Those Monoprice t-bars are an odd size/length, and I can't find a flight-case for them anywhere... Don't really want to have custom ones built if I can avoid it.

What are you using? What have you used?

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Favorite lighting T-Bar/Tripod?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 07:11:58 PM »

My go-to stands for this type of application are the Global Truss ST-132s.  I believe Ultimate Support also makes a stand that can reach 12ft.  Why the ST-132s, which are clunky and heavy, for such a light-duty application when lighter and cheaper options exist?  Simply because of how stable they are.  The weight of the stand itself helps to prevent any accidental tip overs, especially when using them at their full height.  When comparing to a 12 pound stand with a 24" leg span, the center of gravity is way too high with such a small base for me to be comfortable, even with just a half dozen LED Pars.  I own a few Odyssey stands which are nice and lighter-duty, but I never take them over 8ft.  Hope this helps!   

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
Favorite lighting T-Bar/Tripod?
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 10:54:32 PM »

Thanks, Jeff. We already own the ST-132s, and use them with our trussing. But to use them to hang 20-Lbs of LED PARs for a bar gig is overkill and I can't justify loading them into the trailer...

Really hoping to find some good tripod t-bars that can fit into a fairly readily available road case.

12-ft is an extreme; most times we're 8-9 feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 11:06:34 PM »

The Ultimate TS99-BL goes pretty high (11'+ IIRC), has a wider span on the tripod legs than many, has a clutch for raising and lowering the load more safely, and has a leveling leg. I have 2 pair, which I also use for speaker stands. The 1.5" diameter tee bar is about 48" wide, but could be cut down easily (it is aluminum.). Going up full height is kinda shakey if you have much of a load.

That said, the Global Truss ST-132 crank lift is way more substantial, stable, expensive, and heavier. It comes with a square tubing tee bar, but a 2" round tee bar is also available.  If the tripod needs to be out into the dance floor (for face light), I'd would feel much more comfortable with the ST-132. I own a pair of the ST-132 stands.

Edit:  I see you have ST-132 stands.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 10:10:49 AM »

For a push up tri-pod stand I like the Odyssey LTP-2. Goes up about 12ft. It's a little heavier than some others...but that's why I like it.

Steve Garris

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 12:52:52 PM »

I've purchased quite a few lightweight stands in the past few years, and returned some of them.

This one is my favorite:
https://www.amazon.com/American-Lightstand-Inch-Tubing-Goes/dp/B0002DNUHU

It has great clamps, and holds very steady even at 12 ft. I do not use the angled supports, and the T-Bar comes off at every show. I place the prewired lights and T-Bar in a Keyboard bag for transport. I have 4 lights hanging below, and an ADJ Megabar across the top. The top pole is larger than a speaker cup so these are for lights only.

If you must have speaker cup sized poles, this one isn't bad.
https://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-LTP2-Tripod-Stand-T-Bar/dp/B0002DUWVM

It is taller even when collapsed, and a good bit heavier than the one above. I also don't use the angled supports, but the T-Bar tilts down about 1" on both tripods. It has good clamps and seems really heavy duty. I have 4 lightweight LED Pars and a small LED washlight mover from these.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 05:12:37 PM »

For what it's worth I have a few Odyssey LTP-2s and LTP8-PROs - both decent stands for the money.  If you're going to do what Steve pictured above where you're indoors with the stands essentially barricaded behind the backline, you can certainly get away with these smaller stands just fine.  The trouble starts when you use these stands outdoors or out in the open where they're subject to blowing wind and drunk party-goes (or just oblivious general public).  That's when you really have to watch out for tipping hazards, which is where the ST-132s really work well. 

As far as the top bar goes, you can generally source what you need or cut down an existing bar to the size you're looking for.  Most of it is very standard pipe sizes and will fit with the T-connector usually included with the tripod (depending on model).   

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 10:50:36 PM »

Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys!

So... question... where can I find the T-cup adapters, preferably non-plastic ones? It seems like my best bet might be to keep my Monoprice tripods, which have 36" span legs and just fit a more "compliant" T-bar across the top. Then, I could put the T-bar inside of a standard flight case and be all set.

My biggest beef with the Monoprice stands is the T-bar part. All of the components "up top" are plastic, and the bars are an odd length. It would be great if I could fabricate my own T-bar using a solid, reliable, dependable T-cup on top.

Although... now that I re-read the thread, those stands from Steve G sound awfully tempting, especially since the bars fit in a keyboard case... hmm... :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 11:00:58 PM by Steve Litscher »

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 12:09:53 AM »

You can use dual O-clamps (that fit 1.5" tubing), or you can look at hardware for drum set racks.  The rack hardware will look more like a traditional tee fitting. Another source is "Kee Clamps", used to make guard rails and such in industrial settings.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 06:54:12 AM »

Another source is "Kee Clamps", used to make guard rails and such in industrial settings.

I've used those too, and while they do work, I haven't gotten mine to lock down tightly enough for my liking.  Maybe I just haven't gotten the sizes of tubing and clamps matched right, but I prefer either the dual clamps or the gridlock product from The Light Source.  Both give you all-metal solutions that seems to work well with a variety of different tubing diameters.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 06:54:12 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.