Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Taps  (Read 6734 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: Taps
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 08:16:45 pm »

That looks like one of those things for tying a tarp to a pipe structure I see all the time at flea markets.  I wonder now what kinds of tents were being used.

It was a 50' by 100' tent with 8' walls and a vinyl roof and walls. Roof peak was probably 16' in the center. Big cement blocks or 55 gallon water barrels for the tie-downs on a parking lot or 4 ft stakes if it's on grass. This is standard issue for weddings and small corporate events in our area.

They just seem to have no understanding of how much electrical power if required to run the inside lights, big fans (for hot weather) or propane heater blowers (for cold weather). I could easily teach a class on this topic, but I don't think anyone would attend.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 01:04:54 am by Mike Sokol »
Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
www.NoShockZone.org

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 11:03:14 pm »

excess

Lyle Williams

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 06:18:53 pm »

Doing outdoor power "to code" is hard, heavy, and expensive.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 01:44:13 am »

Doing outdoor power "to code" is hard, heavy, and expensive.

Doing almost anything "safe" is also often hard, heavy, and expensive.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Rick Earl

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 10:46:33 am »

Maybe a talk with the local HAJ.  Around here, tents and stage roofs have to be inspected by the fire marshal.  I know our local one shut down an event over wiring like that.

Riley Casey

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2017, 06:50:38 pm »

In any sort of contracting enviroment with a life safety element the first and second things that guide your choices are what's safe and legal. A distant third is being helpful to other contractors that have already shown a propensity for doing neither. Sound nasty and uncooperative to you?  Suppose you had stepped in to save the day after seeing this and despite using your local distro some one from the tent vendor had still managed to start a fire of electrical origin.  Now it's a five figure problem for you as the lawyers look for likely targets on a gig you cleared a grand on.

While silly and quite funny.

Why not go above and beyond and help them out? Teach them to use multiple runs and split things up. Calculate current draw, etc.?

I realize events might be hectic and we can't always do that, but at the more laid back ones why not?

Also, why not from your distro? If you're not using all the power throwing a heater or the bulbs wouldn't be a bother and you might make a friend.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 07:01:44 pm by Riley Casey »

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 08:19:31 pm »

In any sort of contracting enviroment with a life safety element the first and second things that guide your choices are what's safe and legal. A distant third is being helpful to other contractors that have already shown a propensity for doing neither. Sound nasty and uncooperative to you?  Suppose you had stepped in to save the day after seeing this and despite using your local distro some one from the tent vendor had still managed to start a fire of electrical origin.  Now it's a five figure problem for you as the lawyers look for likely targets on a gig you cleared a grand on.

Yeah, early in my career i got taught this lesson the hard way more than once.  It goes against my nature to not try to help people out.  But after being bitten a few times i have come to understand that i need to own MY department and let someone else worry about theirs.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
bdmaudio@gmail.com

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Daniel Levi

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2017, 08:57:28 am »

Someone over on the SOS forums (Mike Stanks?) said that he once lent an extension to someone only to have the power go out not long after, they initially tried to blame him (iirc) obviously reckoning that it was a piece of his equipment that was faulty.
It turned out that the extension was not only overloaded but still wound an the cable which had caused the cable on the reel to melt and the cores had shorted.
Remember if someone is an idiot with kit you have given them then hen something goes wrong who are they going to blame, the idiot or the person that lent them the kit in the first place.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2017, 09:10:50 am »

Remember if someone is an idiot with kit you have given them then hen something goes wrong who are they going to blame, the idiot or the person that lent them the kit in the first place.

Sort of like Mariah Carey blaming the production crew for her failure on New Year's Eve... She's blaming everyone except herself.
Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
www.NoShockZone.org

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2017, 09:53:55 am »

Yeah, early in my career i got taught this lesson the hard way more than once.  It goes against my nature to not try to help people out.  But after being bitten a few times i have come to understand that i need to own MY department and let someone else worry about theirs.

Someone over on the SOS forums (Mike Stanks?) said that he once lent an extension to someone only to have the power go out not long after, they initially tried to blame him (iirc) obviously reckoning that it was a piece of his equipment that was faulty.
It turned out that the extension was not only overloaded but still wound an the cable which had caused the cable on the reel to melt and the cores had shorted.

Sort of like Mariah Carey blaming the production crew for her failure on New Year's Eve... She's blaming everyone except herself.

I see your point and I agree, safety/legal are the top priority. But after that the show must go on is a decent motto in our industry. I see it as going above and beyond expectations.

I get that in the higher levels where y'all are at that having the wrong type of extension cord and 'loaning' them to others or nearly anything else is and can be a huge deal where lawsuits get involved even though you had no part except 'loaning' your one extension cord which then they now come after you.

With that said; I've never booked a repeat gig because I was safe or was legal I book them because I consistently go "above and beyond" the normal call of duty. If it costs me money so be it. If it costs me time. So be it. People like my work not because of how good of a job I do, but because of how I am personal and hear them out and try to cater to THEIR needs/wants not mine.

At any rate, what I was trying to convey, If it is safe and legal to help someone else out (vendor, client, or otherwise) why not do it?

You can argue the the whole loaning a cable and them coming back and blaming you for their mistake all you want, and that probably (*does) apply at the higher end gigs/shows, but I don't think that mentality will win us any friends and when we're down for the count can step in and help out.

It's a mentality thing.

I don't know Mike, I've read his posts and generally think he WOULD try and go above and beyond if he can legally and safely do so.

But I don't think the average reader would see that. They might see him as being a jerk for not helping out and making fun of the tent people.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2017, 09:53:55 am »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.