Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Taps  (Read 9381 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Taps
« on: December 28, 2016, 01:36:29 PM »

This is what the tent people installed for their distro at a gig I did last week. There was about 200 ft of extension cord feeding this mess, and it powered all the tent's interior lights plus 3 propane space heaters. About an hour into my system test their extension cord overheated and the lights cut out, so they ran a second 200 ft of extension and split the power between the two sides of the tent. I was on my own distro and refused to let them plug any of their stuff into my power. Ugh... 

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Taps
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 01:48:23 PM »

While silly and quite funny.

Why not go above and beyond and help them out? Teach them to use multiple runs and split things up. Calculate current draw, etc.?

I realize events might be hectic and we can't always do that, but at the more laid back ones why not?

Also, why not from your distro? If you're not using all the power throwing a heater or the bulbs wouldn't be a bother and you might make a friend.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Mike Sokol

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 01:55:21 PM »

While silly and quite funny.

Why not go above and beyond and help them out? Teach them to use multiple runs and split things up. Calculate current draw, etc.?

I realize events might be hectic and we can't always do that, but at the more laid back ones why not?

Also, why not from your distro? If you're not using all the power throwing a heater or the bulbs wouldn't be a bother and you might make a friend.

Well, this is same tent supplier I've worked with numerous times, and no matter how often I suggest they upgrade their power distro system, they just won't spend the money on it. And I had suggested they do two separate power runs the day before during setup, and even brought cable ramps for them to run the power cords across the access road. But they thought it was too much trouble and insisted that one 20 amp circuit would be fine. By the time they found out they were in trouble it was 1 hour to showtime, and I didn't bring a full distro since the client was supposed to have supplied a power drop next to the tent, not 200 ft away. I'm just a sub-contractor doing sound, so there wasn't much I could do at that point except point out to them where to do the power split for the second extension cord at the last minute. You can lead a horse to water, etc...

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 02:10:03 PM »

Well, this is same tent supplier I've worked with numerous times, and no matter how often I suggest they upgrade their power distro system, they just won't spend the money on it.

Which is funny because tents in our area are some of the best/fastest ROI/money making thing you can have/rent.

And I had suggested they do two separate power runs the day before during setup, and even brought cable ramps for them to run the power cords across the access road. But they thought it was too much trouble and insisted that one 20 amp circuit would be fine.

By the time they found out they were in trouble it was 1 hour to showtime, and I didn't bring a full distro since the client was supposed to have supplied a power drop next to the tent, not 200 ft away.

I'm just a sub-contractor doing sound, so there wasn't much I could do at that point except point out to them where to do the power split for the second extension cord at the last minute.

You can lead a horse to water, etc...

Ahh, clarity :)

Sorry to imply you didn't try and help out. Those who read from the shadows need to know you did go above and beyond  ;)

I think most people here, including you would try to lead the horse to water and maybe even splash it some. Can't fix stubborn.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 03:07:57 PM »

The bungie cord holding that mess together is a nice touch.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Mike Sokol

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 03:13:17 PM »

Hey, safety first!!!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 03:15:07 PM »

Yeah, Taps is what will be played when the tent catches fire from this electrical mess.  If Ted doesn't care about electricity what makes you think he cares about the fire retardant on the tent?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 03:19:40 PM »

This is what the tent people installed for their distro at a gig I did last week.

Fractal power!
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 04:49:01 PM »

You don't have to be an electrician to know this is complete B/S!!
As Mike alluded to, this is someone trying to save money and had been warned them before. I  would not be keen to bail them out either.
Let them take ownership of their mistakes.
I certainly have to.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 05:58:30 PM »

That looks like one of those things for tying a tarp to a pipe structure I see all the time at flea markets.  I wonder now what kinds of tents were being used.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 05:58:30 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.