ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is the best policy for dividing gig $$ if one band member owns & can rent FoH & Mon gear?

Charge for gear rental at 50% discount (band expense comes off the top), then divide remaining funds amongst players.
- 10 (47.6%)
Bring ONLY your own instrument(s) (or mic); tell band to rent FoH & Mon gear from 3rd party.
- 2 (9.5%)
Share everything you can that contributes to the band's gig - at no charge; divide gross evenly.
- 6 (28.6%)
As Option [1], but offer a bigger discount (smaller rental charge).
- 3 (14.3%)
As Option [1], but everyone is responsible to supply their own wedge (or IEM); FoH remains a collective burden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Policy for renting gear to a band in which you yourself play.  (Read 15713 times)

Rick Powell

Re: Policy for renting gear to a band in which you yourself play.
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2016, 04:38:31 PM »

hmmmmmm   - Sugar Daddy - hahah

I can tell my guys in the band that one.

I own all PA and lighting but I also do small rentals like weddings, speaking engagement up to 3 day festival rentals which helps bring up the annual rental income level.

Since I have that income on the side, when my band plays I take $100 for PA and we ALL move it and SET UP. I also take $100 for fuel on most out of town shows.  We are lucky enough where we make good money so the guys in the band get a good cut each week and real nice amounts in summer fest season.

But, I will still admit, I am always looking at that next piece of gear............. just moved from a LS9-32 to a Midas 32 with a stage box and the WHOLE band is happier !

Happy New Year !!

Patrick
www.jurysout.com

Patrick, I have seen you, Don and the guys load out and you have a well-oiled machine where everybody puts on the gloves and starts humping a few minutes after the last chord! <envy emoticon>

Something similar to what you do was going to be our original plan, but one night early on I looked around after a gig when Ian and I were wrapping cords and throwing stuff in the van, and I noticed we were the last ones left. That, plus my wife who is the niece of a successful musician who actually makes money urging me to get paid what we are worth. So the price went up, and we kept on doing all the work which we were doing most of anyway. And the rest of the guys appreciate that all they have to do is show up with their gear and play, so it hasn't created problems that way.

Happy New Year to you guys too, and for all who participated here. It's a fascinating look into how everybody does the sound thing at the lounge level.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 04:40:58 PM by Rick Powell »

Rick Powell

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2016, 04:57:06 PM »

No one's ever called me that....but yeah, that's close to me.
I just don't supply personal mics/stands/monitors....but I used to.

You left out: book the band, bring set lists, host rehearsal, provide rehearsal equip, create/update website, do taxes....lol

A band where everybody is an "equal contributor" is rare, and a form of the sugar daddy model is probably more prevalent than we think. The music business, even at the hobby level, really has more followers than leaders, but the leaders don't always get compensated like those in other businesses do. Unless the band leader is a super motivator and delegator, and the other band members have the requisite skills to carry out the tasks, and they are all relatively equal financially, there is often an unequal burden within a band. But being a labor of love, there is probably as much joy as there is grumbling among those band leaders who have to carry the load.

I do less than I used to...the rehearsals are held at another member's house, we all manage to find gigs (and have gotten pretty good at it), the singer picks and brings the set list, and everybody participates in the song selection and creative process. I do own the rehearsal PA, but it's all stuff I've had for years or got dirt cheap or free (think $80 power amp and $0 mixer). For the part where I do more than everyone else, I do get the highest cut in the band, so I'm OK with it. And I'm really more of the band facilitator than the leader...the things I do allow the young guys in the band the freedom to put on a good show.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 05:06:49 PM by Rick Powell »

Rob Gow

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2016, 07:42:15 PM »

I supply everything except the personal instruments.  That way there's no question whose power cable that is, whose XLR. It keeps things simple.

Jay Marr

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2016, 07:58:47 PM »

The music business, even at the hobby level, really has more followers than leaders, but the leaders don't always get compensated like those in other businesses do. Unless the band leader is a super motivator and delegator, and the other band members have the requisite skills to carry out the tasks, and they are all relatively equal financially, there is often an unequal burden within a band. But being a labor of love, there is probably as much joy as there is grumbling among those band leaders who have to carry the load.

This.....100%

Rob Gow

« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2016, 02:25:31 AM »

All set up for tomorrow.

http://youtu.be/DlRINL3Yz30

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2016, 02:36:22 AM »

All set up for tomorrow.

http://youtu.be/DlRINL3Yz30

I don't want to alarm you, but the band is missing....
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Richard Penrose

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2016, 03:40:20 AM »

I am in a band that plays for a living and I charge a small amount for my PA. To dry hire a basic small PA from local companies costs £150. This doesn't include monitors and you have to collect the PA yourself, carry it to the gig and set up/pack down yourself and return it. My PA is a step up from the systems offered and includes monitors and mics. I don't charge as much as the local sound companies but enough for me to re-invest/upgrade.
The band helps with setup and pack down as the PA is treated as a dry hire. Sometimes the DJ wants to use my PA and this is an extra charge.

Rob Gow

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2016, 10:28:20 AM »

I don't want to alarm you, but the band is missing....

No problemo. Tracks & holograms.

;)

Jay Marr

« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2016, 01:18:14 PM »

I am in a band that plays for a living and I charge a small amount for my PA. To dry hire a basic small PA from local companies costs £150. This doesn't include monitors and you have to collect the PA yourself, carry it to the gig and set up/pack down yourself and return it. My PA is a step up from the systems offered and includes monitors and mics. I don't charge as much as the local sound companies but enough for me to re-invest/upgrade.
The band helps with setup and pack down as the PA is treated as a dry hire. Sometimes the DJ wants to use my PA and this is an extra charge.

This made me remember one of the biggest reasons why we(I) own our own PA, rather than a 'dry hire' as you mention....and I'm bring it up for anyone who is on the fence about buying vs. renting vs. hiring.

The thing I love most about having a band PA is that we are never walking into a cold system. 
We use digital boards...but even when I was analog....the board is ALWAYS dialed for our band.  Sound check takes about 2-3 minutes (as long as everyone has plugged in properly).
Monitor mixes are almost always spot on, right when we power up.  If anything the drummer likes one or two small tweaks (why do they always want their kick louder??).
But the value of having the system already dialed makes our set up/sound check REALLY fast.  This means I can leave later for gigs...which means I can eat dinner at home instead of at a bar...which means I can also have dinner with my family.  I leave an hour later for gigs, since the times when I used to hire a sound company.  That makes a big difference when you're a hobby band (and have a day job and a family).

We've all hired sound in the past, and we all have experienced excellent engineers with a great sounding system....and awful engineers (even though they may have great equipment).  For a control freak like me....not knowing what I'm going to get sometimes, is just frustrating.
Even when I've used the same companies over and over again....every once in a while you get an engineer that just doesn't know what they're doing.
Me: "my mic keeps cutting out because you have a gate on it......look, don't you see that light turning on telling you the gate is engaged?!!!"
Him: "what's a gate?"
And when you find a great engineer, it now becomes a game of trying to schedule him/her like a member of the band.  It's hard enough dealing with the band member schedules, but trying to make sure you get a good engineer each time is a hassle I got tired of dealing with.

Just food for thought....

Lyle Williams

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2016, 06:14:05 PM »

There are lots of items and expenses involved with any venture.

If someone owns a van, do you rent the van from them or just pay for gas?

If you practice in someone's garage, do you rent the space or just pay for consumables (beer?)

The PA is just one element of many.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2016, 06:14:05 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 28 queries.