ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bands & lighting, lots or little ?  (Read 15279 times)

Tim Palmer

Re: Bands & lighting, lots or little ?
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 05:07:31 PM »

I guess I'll just use a few pars, and rent extra stuff if the venue needs it. :(

Anyone in the bar circuit should balance the coolness of their light show versus what it really gains them. If anyone's light show means the bar staff has to stay 2, 3, 4 etc hours after closing time while you load out, let alone dealing with feeder cable and tie-ins and other things they'd rather you not do (like taking ceiling tiles out, cables across walkways to find more circuits, etc).... then you might find that the large light show is a hindrance to the band's bookings more than a help.

Agreed, but these days most everyone at that level should be looking at LED fixtures.  The power draw is minuscule and with lightweight fixtures, bringing in portable stands and or trussing is a simple matter.  I bring in about 30-40 fixtures and our total power draw is less than 15amps!

My setup consits of 4 tripod stands and 4 sections of 5 ft truss. 8 small par led, 6 medium par led, 4 flat panle led, 2 star ball, 2 400 watt follow spots, 1 hazer. All will run off 1 20 amp ckt

Small bar setup - 2 tripods, each side / front of satge with 3 medium pars on each, each fixture pointing at a band member, clamp1 flat panel on each side and 1 star ball on each side, point these towards dance floor.

Medium bar set up - 2 tripods front/ side 3 pars each side for band member -  2 tripods rear to support truss, minimal 10ft wide, up to 20 ft wide depending on venue. put the 8 smaller pars and the 4 flat panels on that rear turss spread accrding to the width, back lighting and eye candy

larger shows, use the same type setup as medium, add the 2 follow spots at FOH areas and can move pars into whatever configuration looks best.
Use the hazer at all size where allowed, it makes all the difference in the world.
Run it all with bluelight

Steven Leonard

• Sands Productions
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 02:36:18 AM »

I play in band and I do all the Sound and Lighting. Almost all of the Bars we play the sound and lighting is provided. Most of the time I am providing PA and Lighting it is for Corporate events and Weddings that we are playing at. These pay better so the added work is worth it. For lighting I usually send out:

2 Led trees on stands for back lighting. Each T bar has 2(sometimes 4 for larger shows) Elation Opti Tri Pars.

2 Elation ELED Strips. These go behind the band as either Cyc lighting for a rear wall or floor back lighting if there is no wall or drape behind the stage.

For front lighting I have 4 ETC S4 36 Degree Lekos split on two Global Truss Stands w/ T Bars. 2 Lekos per side aimed at the band frontline. The global truss stands are heavy but great. They go very high and are sturdy as a mother....well they are sturdy.

I also have 2 S4 pars that I either use for additional front lighting from the floor or from above depending on situation. I love the ETC stuff. Great quality.

I am pretty confident that are lighting is second to none in the local area. Honestly a lot of bands dont even provide anything! By offering it ourselves and for pretty cheap we are providing something other bands cant, and I think adding value. It is a good amount of work though! I custom wired all the trees back in December. The t bars with looms probably saved 20 minutes of setup time and it looks much nicer! See attached pic!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 03:15:23 PM by Steven Leonard »

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 09:24:43 AM »

Have pics of your rig in action at a show, Steven?  Like to see them if you do.

Especially like to see how you are using the strip lights

Steven Leonard

• Sands Productions
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 11:19:45 PM »

Have pics of your rig in action at a show, Steven?  Like to see them if you do.

Especially like to see how you are using the strip lights

Below are some pics taken from my phone. By no means good quality but you get the idea.

Next time I'll try to get some closer shots of the Strip lights.

Thx!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:23:26 PM by Steven Leonard »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 11:19:45 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.