ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: fog/haze machine recommendations  (Read 5979 times)

Graham Spice

fog/haze machine recommendations
« on: December 20, 2016, 01:25:08 PM »

My student production club has been having trouble borrowing the theater department's fog machine. So...it's time for me to start investigating a fog/haze solution for them to purchase.

They have been doing a few outdoor gigs here and there with moving lights as well as indoor. They have 4 moving lights, 10 LED PARs, a 10' truss, and 4 trees. Not a ton of gear but the atmosphere would greatly improve the look.

Can you recommend a few reliable and affordable solutions? I generally lean towards the even look of haze but recognize that some jobs, especially outside, might be better suited for another solution. Their budget is $800-1000 and we would prefer something water-based to alleviate any fire alarm-related headaches.

One final idea that I'm considering is purchasing a reasonably priced hazer for indoor jobs and renting something for outdoor as the requirements seem fairly different.

Thanks for your input!

Steve Garris

Re: fog/haze machine recommendations
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 01:41:21 PM »

My student production club has been having trouble borrowing the theater department's fog machine. So...it's time for me to start investigating a fog/haze solution for them to purchase.

They have been doing a few outdoor gigs here and there with moving lights as well as indoor. They have 4 moving lights, 10 LED PARs, a 10' truss, and 4 trees. Not a ton of gear but the atmosphere would greatly improve the look.

Can you recommend a few reliable and affordable solutions? I generally lean towards the even look of haze but recognize that some jobs, especially outside, might be better suited for another solution. Their budget is $800-1000 and we would prefer something water-based to alleviate any fire alarm-related headaches.

One final idea that I'm considering is purchasing a reasonably priced hazer for indoor jobs and renting something for outdoor as the requirements seem fairly different.

Thanks for your input!

At the low budget end I've seen this recommended. I have no experience with this unit though:
http://www.pssl.com/Antari-Z-350-Fazer-Water-Based-Haze-Machine

Graham Spice

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 01:57:04 PM »

At the low budget end I've seen this recommended. I have no experience with this unit though:
http://www.pssl.com/Antari-Z-350-Fazer-Water-Based-Haze-Machine
Thank you, Steve. I have also seen the Elation Antari Z-350 recommended on these forums. I will hope to hear from other folks that can also make a recommendation based on their experience. Thanks again

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 02:27:07 PM »

I like a hazer much better than a fogger for indoor general purpose use.

The Chauvet Hurricane Haze 4D is very impressive. About $400. Water based.

I've used one in some fairly large rooms. About 150ft x 100ft x 25ft.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 02:33:20 PM »

I use a z-350 in a 600 capacity club. It does a nice job keeping our stage lightly covered without concealing. I leave it on constantly at about 1/2 the max output.

It sips fluid. My cost for a 4 hour show is about $1.50

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Graham Spice

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 05:18:18 PM »

I use a z-350 in a 600 capacity club. It does a nice job keeping our stage lightly covered without concealing. I leave it on constantly at about 1/2 the max output.

It sips fluid. My cost for a 4 hour show is about $1.50

Thanks for your comments, Jay. How long have you had the Z-350 and how many nights a week is it run? Thanks again for your input

Graham Spice

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 05:50:14 PM »

I like a hazer much better than a fogger for indoor general purpose use.

The Chauvet Hurricane Haze 4D is very impressive. About $400. Water based.

I've used one in some fairly large rooms. About 150ft x 100ft x 25ft.
This is a somewhat odd video of two Antari Z-350 being compared with the Chauvet Hurricane Haze 3d: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0IUBKQIBnk

Not sure what to make of it

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 06:01:58 PM »

Thanks for your comments, Jay. How long have you had the Z-350 and how many nights a week is it run? Thanks again for your input
We have had it a year, and it is run 2-3 nights a week.

Jay Barracato

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 06:05:29 PM »

Why do you think a water based haze will solve fire alarm issues?  Curious as every system is different and what works in one venue often does not work in others.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 07:45:00 AM »

My experience is for optical sensors, the water based haze will often initially trip earlier, but with less residue left on the sensor, continues to trip about the same level.

Oil based, often is harder to trip the first time, but as the gunk builds up, trip at a lower and lower level over time.

Bonus points for naming the physics principle for the scattering of light by the colloid.

Jay Barracato

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 07:45:00 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.