ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Low Lying Fog  (Read 5090 times)

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
Low Lying Fog
« on: December 19, 2016, 08:23:25 AM »

I have been looking at low lying fog machines for awhile. Happened to go to a TSO show last week and whichever one they are using seemed to work pretty well. Any thoughts or suggestions on machines to look at or stay away from? Not really looking to use a co2 one but some of the all in ones are interesting.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 02:48:21 PM by Steve Alves »
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

Brook Hovland

• DiA Events
Re: Low Lying Fog
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 09:21:53 AM »

I have been looking at low lying fog machines for awhile. Happened to go to a TSA show last week and whichever one they are using seemed to work pretty well. Any thoughts or suggestions on machines to look at or stay away from? Not really looking to use a co2 one but some of the all in ones are interesting.

We have some Antari ICE machines and have had good results if you don't want to mess with dry ICE or C02.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 01:39:07 PM by Brook Hovland »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 10:41:10 AM »

I have been looking at low lying fog machines for awhile. Happened to go to a TSA show last week and whichever one they are using seemed to work pretty well. Any thoughts or suggestions on machines to look at or stay away from? Not really looking to use a co2 one but some of the all in ones are interesting.

TSA?  I've accused them of practicing "security theatre" at the airports but I've never seen a whole show.

If you mean Trans Siberian Orchestra... I can tell you it involves liquid CO2.

Most of the ground-hugging fog effects traditionally involve dry ice, hot water, fans and big hoses.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 11:43:50 AM »

I have this Ultratec Unit. http://www.ultratecfx.com/Products/low-lying-fog/dry-icer Works great for weddings and such. How big of a space are you trying to cover?

Rob Gow

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 01:11:33 PM »

I have a Chauvet Nimbus dry ice machine. It works pretty good.

http://youtu.be/vu9ZzZGY3Gs

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 02:49:37 PM »

TSA?  I've accused them of practicing "security theatre" at the airports but I've never seen a whole show.

If you mean Trans Siberian Orchestra... I can tell you it involves liquid CO2.

Most of the ground-hugging fog effects traditionally involve dry ice, hot water, fans and big hoses.

Duhh.... I fixed it.. That will teach me to read news stories prior to posting.

So TSO is using the co2 machines?? Do you know which ones?
Steven Alves

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 02:52:00 PM »

I have a Chauvet Nimbus dry ice machine. It works pretty good.

http://youtu.be/vu9ZzZGY3Gs

I have a Nimbus. The problem is they are not very cue friendly. The second you load them, even with the arm up.. You get effect. I need something that I can cue to start without it fogging while it is being loaded.
Steven Alves

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 04:32:58 PM »

So TSO is using the co2 machines?? Do you know which ones?

Yes, I'd too be curious to hear how they pull off their effects!

John Chiara

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 05:39:22 PM »

I have been looking at low lying fog machines for awhile. Happened to go to a TSO show last week and whichever one they are using seemed to work pretty well. Any thoughts or suggestions on machines to look at or stay away from? Not really looking to use a co2 one but some of the all in ones are interesting.

I thought years ago there was a home brew setup for running chemical fog through a cooling unit.

duane massey

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 07:45:11 PM »

If you're doing a small stage and want a short-term effect I used to use the ADJ Mr Kool. Uses regular ice, regular fog fluid. If you're a DIY person, you can just get a large Igloo chest, cut a hole on each end towards the top, fill it halfway up with either ice or dry ice, and use almost any fog machine. Won't be as thick or heavy as CO2 but can be effective.
In the 80's we built our own dry ice machine, using two 55gal barrels stacked. The top barrel held the ice and dispersion tubes, bottom had heating elements and a pump. A remote relay triggered the pump and sprayed the hot water on the dry ice, and the water drained back into the bottom tank to be reheated. We could use it 2-3 times a night on a large stage and generate 2-4' high layers of fog. PITA, but very, very efeective.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 07:45:11 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.