ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless Headsets  (Read 4226 times)

Michael Gorecki

Wireless Headsets
« on: December 18, 2016, 02:04:28 AM »

Hey guys, I'm looking for some recommendations on some headset mics for a high school theater department. They have 12 Audio Technica 3000 series body packs, and they get the job done. These packs only have a sensitivity of +/-6 and the students are distorting the body packs. So I'm looking for a mic with a high enough sensitivity to utilize these body packs.

I don't have much experience with different head worn mics besides the e6, HSP4 and 2 Audio Technica mics (Not sure of the models).

Eventually I'd like to swap out all of their receivers and transmitters, and I'm assuming most decent headsets will have a detachable cable. So I'm looking for a couple options, something affordable that they can purchase 12 of at once or something nicer that they can buy 3 or 4 at a time.

Like always, thanks in advance for the help.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Wireless Headsets
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 05:12:19 AM »

Hey guys, I'm looking for some recommendations on some headset mics for a high school theater department. They have 12 Audio Technica 3000 series body packs, and they get the job done. These packs only have a sensitivity of +/-6 and the students are distorting the body packs. So I'm looking for a mic with a high enough sensitivity to utilize these body packs.

I don't have much experience with different head worn mics besides the e6, HSP4 and 2 Audio Technica mics (Not sure of the models).

Eventually I'd like to swap out all of their receivers and transmitters, and I'm assuming most decent headsets will have a detachable cable. So I'm looking for a couple options, something affordable that they can purchase 12 of at once or something nicer that they can buy 3 or 4 at a time.

Mike

There have been a couple recent discussions involving "budget" microphones for theatrical use and I vaguely recall something regarding A-T transmitters.  I suggest a search.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Michael Gorecki

Wireless Headsets
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 10:47:28 AM »

There have been a couple recent discussions involving "budget" microphones for theatrical use and I vaguely recall something regarding A-T transmitters.  I suggest a search.

Hey Tim, I read every thread in the last two years regarding headset mics. "Budget isn't as much of a concern as functionality and durability. I'm sure that needing a unique capsule sensitivity eliminates a lot of the cheaper mics, but I could be wrong. If there's an older thread with other more info I didn't bother reading it simply because technology has been moving so fast. I'd like to keep them as up to date as possible.

Thanks,
Mike

Brandon Scopel

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 10:58:29 AM »

Countryman b3 low sens either w4 or w5 can be had for less than $200 shipped.

Also very sweatproof, but quite large.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Gary Greyhosky

• Carlisle, PA
    • Alliance Audio & Event Technology LLC
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 11:22:26 AM »

I've used the Audio Technica 899CWth mics with 3000 series units for years with no distortion issues at the transmitter pack. I set the pack sensitivity to -6. They are not earset type mics (with a boom) but the actors either locate the mic at the hairline or run the cable over their ear and use clear medical tape to secure the mic to the side of their cheek. Affordable and pretty durable. The Audio Technica BP894 model is an earset style boom mic with a cardioid pattern and is very effective for additional gain before feedback, but is more expensive.
Gary Greyhosky
Managing Partner
Alliance Audio & Event Technology LLC

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 11:32:35 AM »

Mike

All three versions (original, A, and B) of the A-T 3000 series body packs have 4 input level settings: -6, 0, +6, and +12 in addition to the instrument/mic selector.
I've never been in a situation where the transmitter has distorted when set correctly. Can't say it couldn't happen but something isn't right.
Scott Hofmann

Gary Greyhosky

• Carlisle, PA
    • Alliance Audio & Event Technology LLC
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 12:34:19 PM »

Are you sure it's the mic breaking up? The only mic I've experienced that situation with, was a very inexpensive Elite Core model that is meant for speech only. Have you checked the output level control on the back of the receiver? If it's cranked up, it may be overdriving the mic pre at the console. Not insinuating that you haven't already considered this. Just thinking "out loud".
Gary Greyhosky
Managing Partner
Alliance Audio & Event Technology LLC

Michael Gorecki

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 12:55:02 PM »

I've gone through the wireless rack twice and used it on two separate consoles for four separate events. I have the gains set to their lowest settings on the transmitters and receivers and I'm getting solid levels of around -6 to unity on my channel input meters. Using a Qu32 or GLD 80 (Different stage boxes on both systems and different PA systems entirely)

I had a similar issue at a church recently using ew100 G3 with an e6 and I turned the pack sensitivity down from -6 to -15 or -18 and my problem went away. That's what lead me to believe it was a similar issue with this system. Being that there is no way to lower the gain on the pack any further than -6 I assumed that there may be a headset with a higher sensitivity to combat this problem at the input side.

Also, this problem is only prominent with a few of the louder singers(who happen to be leads), and I've tried the 3 different headsets with at least 2 of the cast members and have had no luck.

Still open to any suggestions for adjustments on the equipment side of things.

Their next play isn't until the last week of April so I've got some time to try out a couple different options.

Thanks,
Mike

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 12:58:13 PM »

Mike, for the time being I'd move the mic further from the actor's mouths.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 08:24:11 PM »

Fwiw I find headset style Mics and all actor worn mics to be disposable, in general.   Actors sweat them out, things happen, especially with students and the mic needs significant repair or replacement. 

My first thought would be to make sure the school understands this. 

Then find something that works for your price/quality ratio.   I'm partial to the microphone madness mics, but building our own ear sets dependent upon show needs.  (And before any of my sound guys see this, let me say I don't build them, they do...)

Anyway, we work with enough community groups that even with good care, we replace 2 to 4 out of a dozen each year. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 08:24:11 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.