ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Distro Unit for Danley System and Lighting  (Read 6379 times)

Adamn Dumbster

Power Distro Unit for Danley System and Lighting
« on: December 16, 2016, 02:17:17 AM »

Starting to throw electronic music events and am searching for proper power distribution. The events will be in different venues with various power configurations and I need a portable, dynamic product to safely supply the equipment.

I'm running:

x2 DBH218s and x2 SH96s off of a DNA20k Amp

as well as:
x1 200w Elation Blinder
x2 30w ADJ COB par
x1 70w Chauvet UV

I was looking at the Lex Products Corp   PRM3KN-9CC which has a 50 amp input and 20 amp outputs. Would this product be able to handle the equipment listed above or would I need 30 amp outputs?

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: Power Distro Unit for Danley System and Lighting
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 06:41:21 AM »

I was looking at the Lex Products Corp   PRM3KN-9CC which has a 50 amp input and 20 amp outputs. Would this product be able to handle the equipment listed above or would I need 30 amp outputs?

If you're running EDM then there's going to be a ton of continuous bass, which is a lot different for AC power draw than acoustic based music with a high crest factor. To get that kind of continuous power out of a single chassis amplifier, you'll likely need a 30 amp AC connection in addition to 240 or 208 volts.

However, I'm sure Ivan will weigh in on this...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 07:24:37 AM by Mike Sokol »

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 03:24:55 PM »

Starting to throw electronic music events and am searching for proper power distribution. The events will be in different venues with various power configurations and I need a portable, dynamic product to safely supply the equipment.

I'm running:

x2 DBH218s and x2 SH96s off of a DNA20k Amp

as well as:
x1 200w Elation Blinder
x2 30w ADJ COB par
x1 70w Chauvet UV

I was looking at the Lex Products CorpPRM3KN-9CC which has a 50 amp input and 20 amp outputs. Would this product be able to handle the equipment listed above or would I need 30 amp outputs?

Do you have any devices that need a 30a circuit? I am guessing that the full list of gear you plug in is more than you listed. I also do not know the power requirements for the Danley amp you have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Andrew Henderson

• Lab Lounge
    • http://www.getlostinsound.com
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 03:31:01 PM »

Here's the spec sheet: http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/danley/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/DNA-Pro-Specs-v1.2.pdf

I assume you're running the tops at 8 ohms and the subs at 2 ohms, each speaker on its own channel? If I'm reading the chart on the spec sheet correctly, you'd be south of 40A @ 120V (20.3A @ 230V) even with all 4 channels driving hard at 2 ohms, playing music with a crest factor of 9dB. Since your tops are 8 ohms, you'd be pulling less than that in that scenario.

If it were me, I'd go with a 20A 240V circuit. The DNA20K4 has a current limiter built in too, so whatever you go with, you could back it down to a value just below your breaker capacity.

Adamn Dumbster

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 03:52:41 PM »

Here's the spec sheet: http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/danley/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/DNA-Pro-Specs-v1.2.pdf

I assume you're running the tops at 8 ohms and the subs at 2 ohms, each speaker on its own channel? If I'm reading the chart on the spec sheet correctly, you'd be south of 40A @ 120V (20.3A @ 230V) even with all 4 channels driving hard at 2 ohms, playing music with a crest factor of 9dB. Since your tops are 8 ohms, you'd be pulling less than that in that scenario.

If it were me, I'd go with a 20A 240V circuit. The DNA20K4 has a current limiter built in too, so whatever you go with, you could back it down to a value just below your breaker capacity.

Yes the tops will be run at 8 ohms and subs at 2 ohms. We'll be playing techno and other bass heavy electronic music for the most part. Do you have a particular brand or product that you would recommend? I've been looking at the LEX rack mountable power distros. They are 30 amp in/out for the most part. Is it easy to find a 30 amp receptacle on your average building/venue? Im not too familiar with power distribution.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 08:52:02 PM »

Lex

Motion Labs

These are the brands that I generally trust.   Motion labs is typically cheaper than lex. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew Henderson

• Lab Lounge
    • http://www.getlostinsound.com
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 11:03:32 PM »

Is it easy to find a 30 amp receptacle on your average building/venue? Im not too familiar with power distribution.
That will vary widely. Sometimes I'm lucky to find 2 outlets on 2 different 15A circuits. Other times they'll have CamLoks and we'll just plug our distro in. You'll want to connect with the venue ahead of time about power, and if it's not too far, even go by, take a look, meter it, and "sniff out" circuits as needed. If you're going to the same venues again and again, it starts to make sense to make/buy an adapter cable that is safe and legal, to go from whatever they have to whatever your distro takes.

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 11:10:06 PM »

I love the Furman ASD100. You can change from L14-50 to L21-30 by swapping the plug. It's pretty sweet. So if you are in a ballroom with l21-30 you are set, outdoors with a 14-50, change the plug. One of my favorite
Piece of gear we own

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 04:42:35 PM »

Is it easy to find a 30 amp receptacle on your average building/venue? Im not too familiar with power distribution.
HERE is where it gets difficult and dangerous.

There is NO standard, and if we started listing what is found at venues, it would not surprise me if there were 15 or 20 different plugs/tie in that are available.

It can run from a very simple plug in-to dangerous (read deadly) hot tie ins.

With your system, you would be fine running the DNA20K off of a single 15A breaker. I highly doubt you would ever pull that much with the speakers listed.

Just to be on the safe side-dial the EBP breaker protection down to 15A and you should be fine.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

veditor78

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 10:22:12 PM »

I have the Furman ASD-120. I have a short cable with a 50 amp CS connector on it and have different feeder cables to go to different plugs. It's flexible and small. Works perfect for my SRX800 rig and lighting. I don't use the sequencing feature but I do use the switches on the front to kill circuits when needed.
Josh Rawls

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 10:22:12 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.