ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: More powered speaker testings.....  (Read 21475 times)

Stephane Desormeaux

More powered speaker testings.....
« on: March 28, 2011, 09:30:31 PM »

I recently bought a pair of Yamaha DRS112 and I am 100% satisfied with them. They are great speakers. But, even though I am probably gonna get another pair of the DSR's as monitors, when I drive by a music store, I stop to take a look at what's available, and how some stuff sounds.

Last weekend was a sound test weekend. I stopped by at Solotech, in Montreal, and was introduced to EV's live X series.

I admit I was pretty impressed, both by sound quality, and price. The least expensive of the bunch by quite a bit, and not bad sounding at all. It sounded just a bit scooped, but not really lacking in any way. Then we started to A/B a bunch, including my DSR's. The DSR's are still the winner in my book, but at that price, many will opt for a very good box, with a decent mixer built in, and a sound that no one will complain about.

I have used my DSR's on 3 medium venues now, and they are perfect. In 2 weeks, I have their biggest gig yet. Can't wait to see them shine. Oh, and while I was at Solotech, I tried the DSR sub. It is really nice too, first time I heard it. Again, maybe not the best for boom boom dj dance stuff, but with ''real'' music (R&B, acoustic rock, etc...), it sounded great. Perfect match to the 112.

Bob Kenton

Re: More powered speaker testings.....
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 09:54:47 PM »

Thanks for the follow up. Ive been eyeing those subs. Havent really had a good listening yet. The first time I heard them I wasnt to impressed but figured that because I was listening to a poorly done MP3 burn and the horrible set up at GC that I would like to give them a better chance.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 07:17:23 PM »

Hey there Stephane,

I have been searching around the web looking for someone that had A/B'd the DSR's vs the ELX's.

I have purchased a pair of the DSR's too.  Compared to the PRX and the K12 they were an easy choice sonically.  I was wondering if the EV would be competitive.

One of the things I have noticed about the DSR's is that they have lots of volume headroom.  It isn't just that they get loud, they sound good getting loud (not all of their competitors do).

Did you have a chance to get the EV's up to some serious volume to see how well they worked when pushed?  Sadly, what sounds really loud at GC in a small enclosed room, gets swallowed up outside or in a decent sized venue.

I felt that the PRX sounded flat in comparison to the DSR when the volume was moved up.  The K12 actually started sounding bad at louder volumes.

Thanks for the review.  I too am interested in the other speakers.

FYI, I have heard of one person who purchased the Peavey Impulse 12D (it has a ribbon tweeter) and had one of them fail at the first gig.  There appears to be an issue with reliability which rumor has it was an early production problem ..... still, not a good thing.  Aside from the problem, he said it was a good sounding speaker (replaced K12's with them).

Derek D Sanchez

• DDSProductions.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 07:42:24 PM »

I got to see the yamaha dsr112 today at guitar center, i noticed you can put them on either side for monitor use, amp facing out or amp facing the the floor, i would assume for install so i can run wires underneath the stage. I would be using them for live use, i didnt like that from the back you can see the amp from the stage and was wondering if you add some big rubber feet to the amp side and put them with the amp facing down if you would get overheating issues? you get a nice back view with the amp not showing and you can run the wires underneath. Do you think this is possible or would cause the heatsinks to overheat, i would like the rubber feet to bring the speaker at least 2 inches from the floor for the wires to clear. Thanks Derek

Kurt Stephens

• SR Forums
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 09:51:03 PM »

I felt that the PRX sounded flat in comparison to the DSR when the volume was moved up.  The K12 actually started sounding bad at louder volumes.

Which got the loudest before limiting in your opinion?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 10:04:47 PM »

I got to see the yamaha

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real full name as required by the posting rules clearly displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section.

Mac

Stephane Desormeaux

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 10:41:03 PM »

To Scott : I agree with your review. I thought the Prx was pretty close, and for me it was more ''what color I like best'', but yeah, they seem to want to be pushed (the DSR's) and not skip a beat, as to others don't sound as good when driven hard. The EV live X were good sounding, until I heard the DSR's. Then it was a huge difference. I did not push them very hard, no where near the limit, so I can't say anything about their SPL or protection/compression/processor.

To Derek : I am sure you can (flip them on the other wedge side) if you install decent rubber feet. I can tell you that on the few gigs I used them, they got a little hot, but not very hot. No where near the heat that my old Crown Microtech's produced. So using them this way should not be too much of a problem.

To Kurt : The DSR's got the loudest without noticable compression & protection.

Kurt Stephens

• SR Forums
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 11:24:41 PM »

To Kurt : The DSR's got the loudest without noticable compression & protection.

Interesting - I have heard different opinions on this. How big of a difference in max real-world SPL could you notice between the PRX and the DSR? Any further comments? Which hit the limiter quicker etc... maybe you didn't get to test them that closely.

I am actually thinking of replacing my K12's as well - possibly with PRX's or DSR's

Stephane Desormeaux

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 08:42:56 AM »

Interesting - I have heard different opinions on this. How big of a difference in max real-world SPL could you notice between the PRX and the DSR? Any further comments? Which hit the limiter quicker etc... maybe you didn't get to test them that closely.

I am actually thinking of replacing my K12's as well - possibly with PRX's or DSR's

How big a difference...... tiny.

I was almost on the fence between the DSR and the PRX. Both get just as many plus points. I found the DSR to have a slight edge to the color of it's sound over the PRX, but this was in actual A/B testing. Had I heard them even 30 seconds apart, I would have probably not noticed it, or would have had a hard time determining witch I like best. But I used R&B and acoustic rock as test songs. With this type of music, the DSR won to my ears. There is a huge difference when you use dance.

For the SPL limit, I drove many speakers to high levels, and the only 2 that did NOT change sound (or even plain sound bad) were the PRX and DSR. I did not keep pushing them until they failed (or sounded bad), but at very high levels, the DSR just seemed to be able to give a little more, as to where the PRX sounded just a bit at it's limit (bass was a tad slower, and slight harshness from the highs), but not in a big way.

All this is from just a few tests by the way, and it is almost funny how an evaluation can change from time to time, room to room, etc....

The first time I heard the K series, I was 100% blown away. And the first time I heard the DSR, I thought, wow, this is way too harsh. I am 100% certain that either of these speakers (DSR or PRX) will make you happy. The PRX also wins in weight, and handle placements (Not crazy about the top handle only on the DSR, when I get them up on stands). And also, unless we use a spectrum analyser, SPL meter, etc....., all reviews are colored by the tester's personnal preferences.

Have fun shopping, :)

Stephane

Scott Bolt

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 08:22:01 AM »

Reguarding SPL, I think that both the PRX and DSR will get loud enough (really loud) that you won't be able to crank them all the way in a small to medium sized bar without causing pain to people in the bar.

I don't know that I would say the SPL of the DSR is higher than the PRX, I would say that the bottom says tighter on the DSR and that the highs are clearer on the DSR.

I had my choices down to these two.  As Stephane stated, I was also "on-the-fence".

I A/B'd them extensively attempting to eq each speaker to get its best sound (using the parmetric eq on a Presonus digital mixer).  I figured that this would take any "color" issues out of the equation and focus my buying decision on the "quality" of the sound of the box.

I wanted the JBL to be the better box.  I like the look of the JBL, I love the 34lb weight of the JBL, and I really like the angled pole mount option the JBL has.  I like the side handle better on the JBL (The DSR has its handle on top).

There was a fairly clear difference in sound quality between the two speakers.  The DSR had more clear and airy vocals.  The DSR had a more round and punchy bottom end.

It really did come down to sound quality for me.  The DSR simply came out on top.

I can carry both of my DSR's up my basement stairs by myself, and I can put them on a pole by myself as well (but I am not a small guy).  This is a big step (smaller ;)) up from my Klipsch KP301's which weigh 81lbs each and are 2.5 times bigger.

.... but I sure wouldn't mind it if my DSR's were as light as the PRX's ;)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 08:22:01 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.