ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: More powered speaker testings.....  (Read 21493 times)

Jon R Smith

Re: More powered speaker testings.....
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 12:19:50 AM »

One thing I have noticed in some of these "comparison" threads are comments about the sound at the upper limits of the speaker.
What I wonder about is what SPL are we talking about for each of these units.
It is one thing if they all get to the same SPL but one or more sound bad at the level that some others sound ok. But, if there is no measurement of actual loudness, it could be that they all sound fine up to some SPL level?
Ears are good for EQ determining but not so much for comparing loudness.

Rob, I was going to bring my meter but alas, I forgot and didn't ask at the store. I have both the DSR & PRX to compare and get some levels like you suggest. I will also get back to the store and get a level on the EV & QSC. I think it will help and also give us something objective to compare.
Jon

If you haven't seen the future, your not driving fast enough.

Randy Freemire

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 02:17:37 PM »

I finally did get to hear the Yamahas yesterday in the GC. First off my application or wants are probably a little different then most.
I'm looking for a speaker/speakers that will basically give me the most detailed, non-harsh, non-digital, smooth as silk sound for my "digital" ( ;D) piano....without having to spend between 5K to 6K on a pair of L'Acoustics, Meyer or Turbosound NUQs. :o
DPs are the hardest instrument to get right live imo, especially when the context is more Acoustic based music like Jazz. And piano players are among the pickiest bunch of pias around. ::)  ;)

The DSR112 does sound good ! Especially at that price point. I wasn't able to bring my Yamaha CP5 in as space was tight but I was able to persuade them to bring a Korg SV-1 from the adjoining keyboard room to demo with. Since my RCF TT08As are very small and don't take up a lot of space I brought one along just has a point of reference.

The DSR112 has a big sound in the low end and clear in the highs. Almost "too" big in the lows for me. In Jazz too much low end on piano can smother the Acoustic bass's sonic territory; that's a no-no.
After A/B ing the Yamaha with my RCF, even though it's an 8" to 12", I still preferred the RCF's more open, natural detailed sound to the DSR112 box.
The Yamaha with its 12" speaker obviously sounded "bigger", but through the DSR112 , the Korg's Acoustic piano, Rhodes and Wurlitzer sounds all came across a bit more digital or jarring as opposed to more of a smoother studio monitor vibe from the TT08A.

So while I think for someone using the DSR112s in a more rock application for foh vocals would be very happy, this was not the sound I was looking for.

I was told by the local RCF rep that he's working on getting the 722A and TT22A , one of each, for me to compare. I've been working on this since last Oct. so I hope it can happen next week or very soon after.

I'll post my thoughts, after getting a chance to hear both boxes, for anyone interested in a dedicated RCF thread..

Dave,
Forever on the quest for the best speaker!  I can relate!  I much prefer a "jazz" sound than the brasher "rock" sound (which hurts my ears)

So why are you still looking if you like the RCF TT08A's?  They sound like a perfect speaker for you: lightweight, small, open, smooth. 

Of course your RCFs are twice the price of the DSR's.  Have you found any under $1,000 speakers that meet your needs (or come close)?  How do the EV ZXA1's compare?

Do you use a mixer and eq on your gigs?  You'd be able to tame the excessive low end of the DSR with that, but that elusive openness on the top end can be harder to "encourage" with eq.

I've been intrigued by the jbl prx635 (yes, a large box, and at 60 pounds not lightweight) because it's under $1,000, is lightweight for a 3 way design, and gets the thumbs up by folks like you and me that want a non-harsh, acoustic music friendly sound. 

One review I read of the 635s compared them to other common/comprable 12's/15's (2 way speakers) on a stage with a lot of different acts, and noticed very little difference between them and the others when it came to heavy metal, but as the musical styles on the stage became more acoustic, the 635s sounded much better, open and transparent.

Do you always play with a bass?  I imagine that playing solo your 8" TT08As would be lacking a bit, esp. as you're playing eps and clavs.

Randy

Scott Bolt

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 12:21:03 AM »

Also on a side note since i have been using passive monitors, what happens when musicians spill beer or water onto powered monitors? The jbls have a port on the back so the water would not get in while the yamahas have two front ports and if you look through can see the amp below. Just asking because i always wondered, my passive jbls have gotten water on them with no problems. Derek

Hi Derek,

I hadn't thought about the water/spill proofing of my speaker  ;).  Since I am using mine as FOH, it would take a pretty violent beer spill to reach them with any substantial amount of liquid (I hope).

I am one of the people that have posted the performance of various speakers which degrade at higher SPL.  Essentially, I was concerned that gig volumes in medium clubs (crowd of say ... 150-200), would push these speakers and wanted to be sure that as they were pushed, they continued to sound good (no harshness, no breakup, not thin).

Some speakers didn't need too much before they started falling apart.  Others got so loud that I couldn't go on in a small space.
Quote from: Jon
Rob, I was going to bring my meter but alas, I forgot and didn't ask at the store. I have both the DSR & PRX to compare and get some levels like you suggest. I will also get back to the store and get a level on the EV & QSC. I think it will help and also give us something objective to compare.
Hi Jon,

I am looking forward to your technical review using an SPL meter ;)

I am lovin my DSR112's.  They are punchin the chest really well over our subs.

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2011, 11:15:24 PM »

Are any of you running the DSR subs? Or heard the DSR subs, would be interested to here your thoughts compared to the PRX or whatever subs you are running.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2011, 11:15:24 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.