ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving heads...what to buy?  (Read 11618 times)

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound
Re: Moving heads...what to buy?
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 10:09:51 AM »

I have the 355z intimidators.  I love them.  They cut through extremely well, I was pretty shocked at the output.

Steve Garris

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 06:14:25 PM »

These might be overkill but this is what has me excited lately:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x9jgcra3h4

So many different looks available from just a few lights plus all the latest features - spinning gobos, 32 facet prism, beam wash and focus, etc...
Next light on my buy list for sure.

Wow, those are awesome! Someone did some nice programming there as well.

Dave Batistig

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 08:37:09 AM »

One thing to be aware of when linking via Powercon, check the fixture manual.  With lower priced units, fhe internal small gauge wiring can be a limiting factor.

They typical venue we play in is would be in the 400-1000 ppl range. Some are laid out such that we are playing across the short wall of the venue...think a wedding reception hall with the dance floor down the middle and the tables to the right and left of the band. Other halls we play the length of the venue, in typical fashion. Stage size at these venues varies in size from 20wide x 12 deep to as large as 30 wide and 15 deep. I wouldn't use this expanded light rig in a bar scenario, with the exception of one room we play that holds 300 ppl.

Outdoors is a different situation. We are routinely on stages 30-235 ft wide and 20 ft (or more) deep, with adequate height to be able to get our trussing up 15 f-20 ft or more.

The lights mentioned in a earlier post look pretty interesting. Any venue where we would be using the full rig, which includes confetti cannons and CO2 cannons, we have adequate power, so that isn't a concern. The weight of those lights is a bit of a concern. Our crew complain enough as it is! :)

The Chauvet Trio look really good...I keep going back to the videos of those lights and they do a lot at their price point. We do use 2 hazers on the stage, so there is some haze for the lights to cut thru.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 04:31:59 PM »

Outdoors is a different situation. We are routinely on stages 30-235 ft wide and 20 ft (or more) deep, with adequate height to be able to get our trussing up 15 f-20 ft or more.

If you're honestly playing stages 235ft wide, outdoors, with rigging 20ft+ off the deck, then you need to be shopping for a whole other level of fixture.  Something along the lines of the Chauvet Rogue RH1 Hybrid might be a good place to start.  You'll likely get more bang to buck out of the discharge fixtures versus LED too.  I'd also question the quantity/quality of the other lights you're using to fill such a stage (as in what else are you using besides your Slimpars, and how many do you have?).

I find it interesting that you quote stage sizes and not venue sizes.  What are you trying to achieve with these new fixtures?  Wash the stage, scan the crowd, fire beams into the air?  The reason I keep questioning venue size and desired effect is that understanding this is crucial to making sure the fixture packs enough power and "throw" to achieve what you're looking to do.  If you just want a little movement on stage, some Rogue R1 Washes or similar might be just fine.  That same light won't project a crisp tight beam 300ft! 

You also might want to take a hard look at what the 'average' venue you play is, and where you can best justify the expense (you still haven't given us a ballpark figure you're looking to invest).  I use a completely different inventory of equipment for smaller indoor shows versus larger outdoor ones.  Maybe buy what you need for indoors and rent what you need for outdoors?  Hope this helps!

Dave Batistig

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 05:33:24 PM »

If you're honestly playing stages 235ft wide, outdoors, with rigging 20ft+ off the deck, then you need to be shopping for a whole other level of fixture.  Something along the lines of the Chauvet Rogue RH1 Hybrid might be a good place to start.  You'll likely get more bang to buck out of the discharge fixtures versus LED too.  I'd also question the quantity/quality of the other lights you're using to fill such a stage (as in what else are you using besides your Slimpars, and how many do you have?).

I find it interesting that you quote stage sizes and not venue sizes.  What are you trying to achieve with these new fixtures?  Wash the stage, scan the crowd, fire beams into the air?  The reason I keep questioning venue size and desired effect is that understanding this is crucial to making sure the fixture packs enough power and "throw" to achieve what you're looking to do.  If you just want a little movement on stage, some Rogue R1 Washes or similar might be just fine.  That same light won't project a crisp tight beam 300ft! 

You also might want to take a hard look at what the 'average' venue you play is, and where you can best justify the expense (you still haven't given us a ballpark figure you're looking to invest).  I use a completely different inventory of equipment for smaller indoor shows versus larger outdoor ones.  Maybe buy what you need for indoors and rent what you need for outdoors?  Hope this helps!

Sorry...that was a typo... outdoors we do get on stages 30-35 feet wide. The max height we can take our back truss is 18 ft, which is the max for the lifts we use for the back. Up front can be as high as 20 ft, which is the max for the line array lifts we use. I set the truss across the forks of the lifts with the array hanging underneath. We typically rent Eventer 25's for these larger outdoor shows.

Dave Batistig

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2016, 05:43:50 PM »

I thought I had addressed the venue sizes, art least indoors. I am not looking to scan the crowd out to 300 feet. We have 6 LED blinders on the front truss for outdoor shows, and they do what we are expecting from a "light up the crowd" aspect for the first 50 ft from the stage. We also use these blinders indoors, just fewer of them, when we are in a firehall or a reception hall with enough ceiling height to use the front truss. My intent with the movers is to add a new visual dimension to our show, not light up the crowd or scan the dancefloor. . There are 18 SlimPar Q12's on the back truss, 14 on the front plus 6 Colorado1's on the front. We are an 80s Tribute band, but we (my keyboard player and I) own a production company where we run community days type festivals, fundraisers, etc. We did a 6 band festival at the end of last summer as a fundraiser for 2 wounded Vet's organizations, using a Stageline SL50 stage. The front lights were at about 18.5 feet when hung from their truss. I would like to keep the budget under $1K per fixture. I was hoping one of the 90W LED movers would fit the bill. There are none anywhere near here to rent to try.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2016, 06:08:19 PM »

Sorry...that was a typo...

Ah, that makes more sense then.  Something just wasn't adding up for me!  For the money, the 355z's will be hard to beat unless you either step up to the Rogue Series and settle with fewer but brighter fixtures for the same money or try your luck with Chinese no-name imports.  Of course for outdoor use, the brighter the better, but I'd wager the 355z would be a suitable compromise between output and applicability for the size of events you're playing.  It should also be a decent fit with the rest of your current system.  Good luck!

Dave Batistig

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2016, 07:15:02 PM »

Ah, that makes more sense then.  Something just wasn't adding up for me!  For the money, the 355z's will be hard to beat unless you either step up to the Rogue Series and settle with fewer but brighter fixtures for the same money or try your luck with Chinese no-name imports.  Of course for outdoor use, the brighter the better, but I'd wager the 355z would be a suitable compromise between output and applicability for the size of events you're playing.  It should also be a decent fit with the rest of your current system.  Good luck!

Thanks Jeff....I think the 355z's might be the ticket. The Chinese "no-name" imports scare me. Granted, they are lower cost, but my experience with imports hasn't been good. I had a handful of the Colorado 1 knock offs from DaisyLight and when they quit, they quit. Unlike the Colorado 1, which has an actual fuse internal on the power supply board, the DaisyLight has this little capacitor that decides to give up the ghost and that's the end of that. It is a thru hole component, so I was able to fix them (all 4 I had did it) and sell them. For the money, they are a decent light, but reliability-wise I'll pass on the imports.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 05:41:51 AM »

An issue with no name lights is the difficulty in getting an identical replacement in two years time.

Michael Gorecki

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2016, 07:30:14 PM »

An issue with no name lights is the difficulty in getting an identical replacement in two years time.

That is an issue with lights from major manufacturers as well. It seems like Chauvet has been replacing fixtures every year for the last 5 years or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2016, 07:30:14 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.