ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lake Cable AVB4TCAT5E 4-Channel 24AWG Tactical Cat5E Cable  (Read 3355 times)

Paulo Rodrigues

Lake Cable AVB4TCAT5E 4-Channel 24AWG Tactical Cat5E Cable
« on: December 12, 2016, 10:24:56 AM »

Hello All

Wondering if anyone has any experience using this cable for Dante network applications. Would like to know about jacket durability and how it deploys/coils. Specs look normal. We have Gepco and Whirlwind 4ch Cat5e snakes in inventory already which have been very durable/reliable, but the price of the Lake Cable is very attractive. Planning a large purchase.

Thanks

Dan Mortensen

Re: Lake Cable AVB4TCAT5E 4-Channel 24AWG Tactical Cat5E Cable
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 04:56:37 PM »

Hello All

Wondering if anyone has any experience using this cable for Dante network applications. Would like to know about jacket durability and how it deploys/coils. Specs look normal. We have Gepco and Whirlwind 4ch Cat5e snakes in inventory already which have been very durable/reliable, but the price of the Lake Cable is very attractive. Planning a large purchase.

Thanks

Going by what's visible online:

There's no shield so if that's important it will be a problem, but no more than the Gepco or Whirlwind unshielded products.

Construction appears similar to the Gepco but price is much better.

The unshielded works fine with Dante? Dante is immune to Electrostatic Discharge (static electricity) issues?

Writing that makes me realize that I should check a Dante network with my sparker. Since my AES Section is having a Dante networking meeting day after tomorrow, I'll do it there. Thanks for asking this question now!

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 04:53:00 PM »

The unshielded works fine with Dante? Dante is immune to Electrostatic Discharge (static electricity) issues?

Writing that makes me realize that I should check a Dante network with my sparker. Since my AES Section is having a Dante networking meeting day after tomorrow, I'll do it there. Thanks for asking this question now!

Turns out that since Dante uses Ethernet protocol and devices, there are by definition transformers in the signal path of the wires (4 transformers per Ethernet connection terminus), so therefore there is galvanic isolation.

I guess using shielded cable could change that depending on how the devices are set up, so unshielded CAT has the bonus of insuring isolation.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 04:53:00 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.