ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Short multipin connectorized drop snakes  (Read 9203 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Short multipin connectorized drop snakes
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 04:53:16 AM »

We don't do powered monitors so the IEC thing isn't a big deal but having a down stage AC stringer is a Very Good Thing.  Another stringer upstage for back line.

For what you're doing with the X32R - kind of a template setup because your guys are operating - accommodate 80% of what encounter and have a graceful way to deal with the exceptions.

Over the years I've noticed that what makes setups fast is that if certain elements always go in specific places - with that certainty you can build "fast" infrastructure.  Change something and it can go to shit in a hurry.  Splitter or snake stage box location (or X32 in this case), distro or electrical common point (where the extension cords come together), amp rack location, etc.

There are lots of permutations on looms/stringers/multi and what works for you depends on how you work.

Tim - This is exactly what I am trying to do.  Minimize the exceptions and improve setup time on the gigs that fit the template.

We also can roll a different rig and/or a different system for those gigs.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Andrew Henderson

• Lab Lounge
    • http://www.getlostinsound.com
Short multipin connectorized drop snakes
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 08:56:32 AM »

The 500-0051-4 is perfect.  I can make a multidrop with power for the monitors and the XLR.

Here is the question, how can I legally break out the power and signal?  I have some cool IP65 boxes that would do the trick but you can't have LV and HV in the same box.  Maybe I can fashion a divider.  Would that be legal? 

I am thinking an XLR pigtail, IEC pigtail and a convenience outlet for any pedalboards etc. would be sweet.

Honing in on a solution.  I would terminate the business end with an Ethercon.

thx
I've been looking at making a similar move for a while. I was eyeing Gepco RunOne, but their CAT5 isn't shielded. Glad to see the Sommer Cable is so it can be used to supply phantom power.

I'm planning to go EtherCon and PowerCon on every cable (both ends), and then buy some Insta-Snakes (or another brand) and some OA Windsor PowerCon stringers. Rack panel TBD. That leaves me plenty of options for monitor and stage power. Still debating on the blue/white PowerCon or True1.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2016, 11:33:32 AM »

I've been looking at making a similar move for a while. I was eyeing Gepco RunOne, but their CAT5 isn't shielded. Glad to see the Sommer Cable is so it can be used to supply phantom power.

I'm planning to go EtherCon and PowerCon on every cable (both ends), and then buy some Insta-Snakes (or another brand) and some OA Windsor PowerCon stringers. Rack panel TBD. That leaves me plenty of options for monitor and stage power. Still debating on the blue/white PowerCon or True1.

Yes, Windsor/Powercon all these are amazing options but would like to move somewhere south of the 12k it would take to do 8 systems that way. 

It appears any decent solution is going to be more than the mixer.  Makes sense.  $800 mixer in a $300 case with $1200 worth of cables.  Some folks think charging $25.00 a night is too much.

This business is a trip.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2016, 12:27:08 PM »

I used a W1 panel from Whirlwind and a pair of their drop snakes on a project. I would do it again. Just cause the mixer price has come down, I would not use it to compare interconnect pricing.

The trade off here is interconnect price once for labor savings many times. Has nothing to do with mixer cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2016, 03:09:38 PM »

Yes, Windsor/Powercon all these are amazing options but would like to move somewhere south of the 12k it would take to do 8 systems that way. 

It appears any decent solution is going to be more than the mixer.  Makes sense.  $800 mixer in a $300 case with $1200 worth of cables.  Some folks think charging $25.00 a night is too much.

This business is a trip.

If you can't charge your client more money, pay your techs less or have this give you a significant competitive advantage this move isn't saving anything.  We pay our techs by the show and anything we package up that results in time savings has usually been done to prevent errors in patching or deployment.  That it might save physically connecting 2 dozen XLRs is mostly a side benefit.

As for dealing with exceptions... mostly everything *we* do has a significant "exception" component to it.  That lovely 12+4 sub snake on multi only benefits you if you use it the same way almost every time.  Making that sub snake more exception-friendly also means you lose the standardization that saves time or makes it much more expensive (patch bay, more multipin connectors, etc) and possibly more error prone as well.

What makes this whole thing possible, Scott, is that your guys are doing the work and can call the input list order and patching to your satisfaction.  Once you have to answer to the "band guy" the carefully planned infrastructure gets dismantled, patched around or not used because changing it (and restoring it after the gig) is more hassle than just running a dozen mic cables.

Don't get me wrong, I like what you're attempting to do... just don't expect the input side to save you time beyond having some sub snakes in the right places.  IMHO having your AC for wedges in a stringer or loom and having an input loom for those powered wedges will same more time & effort simply becase the wedges tend to be placed in the same spots every show.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2016, 03:09:38 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 24 queries.