ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover bands  (Read 22290 times)

duane massey

Re: Cover bands
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2016, 11:33:52 AM »

As a working musician I have several issues with tracks, but I am NOT critical of those who use them if they need them. I just happen to play two the instruments most commonly replaced by tracks (trumpet and keyboards), and the use of tracks has certainly not helped me in most ways. I have been doing a jazz/pop gig lately (no tracks, live everything), and we have used several substitute bass players this month, and the ones who have been playing mostly to tracks are noticeably weaker in terms of timing and groove than those who rarely if ever play to tracks.
As far as the whiny horn players, I bring my own stand, light, mic, and powered monitor to every gig. No excuse if you're a working pro. However, I have been irritated many times by the popular concept that horn players either (1) don't need a monitor, or (2) can all share one with the same mix as ___________. I've been told "You don't need a mic, you're loud enough", or "Here, you guys share this mic, cause I need two for the snare drum".
Oh, Merry Christmas to all.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

David Buckley

« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2016, 04:19:09 PM »

What you can't duplicate are guitars.....

But you can get close... (MP3 380KB).

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2016, 10:04:23 PM »

Tim,
Hopefully I'll be back for a while. Pretty tough to put everything on hold, and the worst part is the effect on this 65 year old body. Tired all the time now.

Duane,
I'll take a live horn section any day of the week if only you could keep one together for more than an hour, have them show up for a practice or two, and basically stop arguing about all the tiny itty bitty things that nobody cares about.

David,

Not even close. No expression, no touch, no feel, and pretty piss poor tone. Other than that it sounds OK.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2016, 12:08:16 AM »

Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2016, 02:31:21 AM »

I remember having a soundsheet (like a record that came in a magazine) of the Yamaha wind controller when it came out.  The guy did a pretty convincing Jimi with it.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2016, 03:48:19 AM »

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2016, 03:56:15 AM »

I remember having a soundsheet (like a record that came in a magazine) of the Yamaha wind controller when it came out.  The guy did a pretty convincing Jimi with it.
If one were to take the DI'ed signal from a e-guitar and create multi-layer samples triggered by midi then going through some ampsim/stomps then it would probably sound more convincing than the mp3 some posts ago. The dead giveaway is the lack of articulation. A breath controller can help with that, I guess...

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2016, 09:03:17 AM »

If one were to take the DI'ed signal from a e-guitar and create multi-layer samples triggered by midi then going through some ampsim/stomps then it would probably sound more convincing than the mp3 some posts ago. The dead giveaway is the lack of articulation. A breath controller can help with that, I guess...

You could... or you could just stay at home and listen to CDs!

Steve.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2016, 10:25:05 AM »

Or you could run a cord from a Strat straight to a Fender Twin and dime the thing. Plenty of people that couldn't "really" play got away with doing it this way.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

John L Nobile

« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2016, 01:07:02 PM »

But you can get close... (MP3 380KB).

There's gotta be better examples out there.

Having said that, guitar has to be one of the hardest things to mimic and I'd never try to replace one with a synth. But I do remember getting a great guitar sound running a Wurlitzer through a Roland Jet Phazer years ago. But no expression or feel.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2016, 01:07:02 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.