ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover bands  (Read 22282 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Cover bands
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 08:30:13 PM »

There is a franchise of sorts that features the nerdy, early techno-pop music of earlier-era MTV.  They use tracks extensively as replacements for keyboardists and rhythm guitars and some BGV (depending on the cast).  Everything you see on stage is in the mix, the guitarist IS that good and the front man singer can hit the high notes every time.  Someone spent a lot of time on the trax, though, because I've never had to work to make everything fit together.

The Spazmatics.

They are really good players. You have to audition to get that gig and be:
A) willing to wear the rediculous outfits
B) Be a legit great player
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 08:47:19 PM »

Being a house tech can be frustrating at times. Mixed cover band tonight that is good but like most leans on tracks. From my end mix was good and dance floor packed. People complimenting sound. They lead singer came out into crowd a couple of times during the night interacting. At end of night he felt the mix should have had tracks more out front. "Vocals, then tracks". Felt people need to feel it. Now band included drums, bass, guitar... thought a lot of sound guys tend to do same thing. Guitar doesn't need to be out there. So I said  "they should feel bass and kick in tracks , like your live kick and bass"? Smh. Basically turning this into a glorified Karaoke show. I'm venting, but frustrating when you take your job serious in providing a well balanced mix only to find all I needed to do is crank the tracks. Lol

We had a national act that plays hard rock come through recently.  96 inputs - 48 Pro Tools and 48 live.  The live went to the monitors and the PT inputs to FOH.  The band is the back up to their tracks.

We can talk about the dishonesty blah blah blah... or realize that in theatre almost everything critical is playback.  The producers, directors and designers want it to be 100% the same at every performance.  Many of the :A: level national and international acts that feature extensive choreography for the star are also using tracks for the star vocal (and maybe a whole lot more).  For a rock band with automation, synchronized video, etc it makes sense.  At least we can presume the recording was made by the people you see on the stage, Mr. Vanilli...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 12:31:34 AM »

I worked with a show band producer that did a lot of cruise ship work.  Trax on a MiniDisc triggered from stage, had click, BGV, bass, guitar and sound effects.  The "performing" bassist and guitarist were ghosting their parts and I was not to use them in the live mix (window dressing panto); the live BGV were doubling the track and if a singer was off I was to remove him/her from the live mix.  I think I did 2 runs with them before I needed to find a different neurotic to work for...  He had some really good players that were only heard in their headphone monitors.

There is a franchise of sorts that features the nerdy, early techno-pop music of earlier-era MTV.  They use tracks extensively as replacements for keyboardists and rhythm guitars and some BGV (depending on the cast).  Everything you see on stage is in the mix, the guitarist IS that good and the front man singer can hit the high notes every time.  Someone spent a lot of time on the trax, though, because I've never had to work to make everything fit together.

Last night I had a cover band opening a show for a reality TV band.  No keyboards (2nd guitarist covered), no tracks, just get up on stage and play and sing your ass off.  They finished right on time, got their stuff off the stage quickly and a good time was had.  Opening acts (especially local support) that "get it" get rebooked.

Disco Inferno and Spazmatics are two franchise bands that Tim refers to.  Both have Cleveland roots.  As he mentioned they are the real deal and the balance of tracks and live is just right for the genre.  These bands do as well as any bar band around and a timely visit from them can make a struggling venues month, they do that well.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 06:31:39 AM »

Mike, side note, I have worked with Scott Kirby several times from Illinois to New Jersey to Florida.  Haven't thought of him for some time.  Small world.

Bill

Hi Bill, Wish I was with them in Key West right now, 13 degrees here!

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 09:45:49 AM »

Hi Bill, Wish I was with them in Key West right now, 13 degrees here!
Right there with you.  It's 22 currently here in Illinois.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Rob Gow

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 04:33:10 AM »

Here's my cover band. No tracks.

http://youtu.be/Zt0i6Y_9slo

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2016, 06:35:40 AM »

Being a house tech can be frustrating at times. Mixed cover band tonight that is good but like most leans on tracks. From my end mix was good and dance floor packed. People complimenting sound. They lead singer came out into crowd a couple of times during the night interacting. At end of night he felt the mix should have had tracks more out front. "Vocals, then tracks". Felt people need to feel it. Now band included drums, bass, guitar... thought a lot of sound guys tend to do same thing. Guitar doesn't need to be out there. So I said  "they should feel bass and kick in tracks , like your live kick and bass"? Smh. Basically turning this into a glorified Karaoke show. I'm venting, but frustrating when you take your job serious in providing a well balanced mix only to find all I needed to do is crank the tracks. Lol

I see two angles here.

As far as the singer's comments are concerned...why did he wait until the end of the show to tell you how he wanted the mix to sound? Shouldn't he have mentioned that prior to curtain?

As far as you are concerned...so turn up the tracks! What do you care if they choose to have fake elements in their show? It's their show, not yours.
Member since 2005.

Jay Marr

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2016, 12:38:31 PM »

Band sounds excellent!  I'm a huge Bon Scott fan, so it's great to hear someone who can pull him off well!

But in all fairness to the conversation....it's AC/DC, what tracks could there be??  LOL

Bob Kidd

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2016, 01:03:03 PM »

I see two angles here.

As far as the singer's comments are concerned...why did he wait until the end of the show to tell you how he wanted the mix to sound? Shouldn't he have mentioned that prior to curtain?

As far as you are concerned...so turn up the tracks! What do you care if they choose to have fake elements in their show? It's their show, not yours.

I see it the same way and only find it amusing. I take pride in providing quality mixes and to make sure I represent what band is looking for. Sometimes we differ, part of business. I have mixed this band several times at this venue and recorded tracks as well (their request). Only positive feedback. Lead was drunk at time and don't feel he was saying mix was horrible or not great, just felt tracks should be pushed higher in mix. I fully understand it is not my show, but at same time have an obligation to provide the best experience to patrons as well. This is how I ensure bands return to venue and create buzz in area. But like I said, if band wants it a certain way that's what I provide. Not a big deal. I have offered numerous times to run virtual sound checks with them, but they can't get to venue until 30mins prior to start time. I have played back recorded tracks right after sound check and they loved it. Believe me I have no issues with tracks and feel at times is needed, but when you have a quality drummer and bass player and insist on drowning them out, not good. Thanks!

Bob Kidd

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 01:09:37 PM »

Sounds good Rob, Had band called Hell's Bells come through last week. Excellent band!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 01:09:37 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.