ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover bands  (Read 22289 times)

Jay Marr

Re: Cover bands
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2016, 08:05:24 AM »

Bagpipes in "Its a long way to the top".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironically enough....this is the only AC/DC song my band does.  And we do it with live bag pipes.
Of course we only do the song when my buddy who's a piper, shows up to hang out.....and of course, he never forgets to have his pipes in the car :)

Scott Levine

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2016, 11:00:50 AM »

And I have never miked up bagpipes! 

Regards,

"Not so Mean" Scott Levine
Strike Sound & Lighting

"There is nothing that can't be repaired or improved through the judicious use of gaffe tape."

Jay Marr

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2016, 11:08:18 AM »

In the clubs we play, we just lower one of the vocal mics in front of it and it picks up just fine (for rock and roll!).

You think girls like the lead singer.....it's nothing compared to how they swarm to a piper after he gets up and kills that song.
And he deserves it....that instrument is insanely hard to play.  I've tried his pipes and I can barely get a honk out of them.  Much respect for the pipers.

Scott Levine

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2016, 06:32:25 PM »

In the clubs we play, we just lower one of the vocal mics in front of it and it picks up just fine (for rock and roll!).

You think girls like the lead singer.....it's nothing compared to how they swarm to a piper after he gets up and kills that song.
And he deserves it....that instrument is insanely hard to play.  I've tried his pipes and I can barely get a honk out of them.  Much respect for the pipers.
I do a lot of cultural shows. All kinds of fun instruments. The one I hate the most is the brake drum. Ha ha. There is almost always a wandering guy at West Indian festivals banging away on one and for some reason he chooses to circle the mixing console. I am glad HE had a good time. Ha ha.

Regards,

Strike Sound & Lighting

"There is nothing that can't be repaired or improved through the judicious use of gaffe tape."

Rob Gow

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2016, 08:59:40 PM »

Just put a 57 on it ;)

Scott Levine

« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2016, 09:02:58 PM »

Just put a 57 on it ;)
I know...  I know...

Regards,

Strike Sound & Lighting

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2016, 09:52:25 PM »

LOL... there are plenty of "cover" bands that play live all that you hear.  *Tribute* acts may or may not use various levels of pre-oozed sweetening with the live performance; it depends. ;)

Tim, You know I've worked with MIDI files to supplement the back line for many, many years and as time went by started using fewer musicians. The problem with most people who use tracks is usually the poor system they use to replicate the instrument, or inability to work in proper time with the track behind them.

What you can't duplicate are guitars, so I guess that's my salvation. But horns, organs, keyboards and bass, those you can always replicate through a good sound module I think I've said in the past that support for my backline is run through a dual system separating the vocals from the instruments. That being said though, the real key to success has been the best Roland sound modules money will buy, and using their ability to run instruments through eight separate outputs to eight separate mixer channels all running to their own sub system within the board. Maximum impact and the proper sound can only be achieved by tuning each channel for the instrument it supports. Nothing like a great horn section that doesn't have some whiner from Berkley nit picking because his music stand light is too dim. And better yet, you don't have to pay the sound modules.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Mike Smith

• Event Technical Systems
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2016, 10:15:33 PM »

Just put a 57 on it ;)

Poke it with a 57 until you let the air out of it.
Mike Smith

Event Technical Systems

http://www.eventtechnicalsystems.com/

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2016, 10:21:13 PM »

Nothing like a great horn section that doesn't have some whiner from Berkley nit picking because his music stand light is too dim. And better yet, you don't have to pay the sound modules.

I've worked with that guy
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2016, 10:55:34 PM »

Tim, You know I've worked with MIDI files to supplement the back line for many, many years and as time went by started using fewer musicians. The problem with most people who use tracks is usually the poor system they use to replicate the instrument, or inability to work in proper time with the track behind them.

What you can't duplicate are guitars, so I guess that's my salvation. But horns, organs, keyboards and bass, those you can always replicate through a good sound module I think I've said in the past that support for my backline is run through a dual system separating the vocals from the instruments. That being said though, the real key to success has been the best Roland sound modules money will buy, and using their ability to run instruments through eight separate outputs to eight separate mixer channels all running to their own sub system within the board. Maximum impact and the proper sound can only be achieved by tuning each channel for the instrument it supports. Nothing like a great horn section that doesn't have some whiner from Berkley nit picking because his music stand light is too dim. And better yet, you don't have to pay the sound modules.

Some of my favorites whiners have come from Berklee!

I totally get your use of MIDI, Bob.  Thing is you could still make *music* if your samplers took a dive; might not be the Bob's Big Band effect but you'd manage to credibly play for the 45-60 min until you could jump start the rig.

You have also crafted the instrument sounds to your liking and reworked arrangements to suit your needs.  What you're doing isn't karaoke.

I'm seeing more and more *original* acts that rely on tracks, bands that couldn't present 10 minutes of program without the playback elements.  I get anywhere from 1-6 tracks at FOH; most of the time it's ONE track and ONE line from a drum pad sampler.  I'd love to get more granularity in the sources...

Welcome back, you home for a while?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2016, 10:55:34 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.