ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover bands  (Read 22286 times)

Steve Garris

Re: Cover bands
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 01:23:22 PM »

Disco Inferno and Spazmatics are two franchise bands that Tim refers to.  Both have Cleveland roots.  As he mentioned they are the real deal and the balance of tracks and live is just right for the genre.  These bands do as well as any bar band around and a timely visit from them can make a struggling venues month, they do that well.

Here in Seattle they're The Aphrodisiacs and Spazmatics - same guys do both bands. They call the tracks "Sammy". These guys are phenomenal musicians, and still hanging in there. I've mixed them a a couple of occasions in the past 20 years.

John Chiara

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 01:44:10 PM »

I am contracted at a new local venue...lots of radio station sponsors shows.
Except for straight acoustic acts...EVERY electric touring band has used tracks. From simple supplements to a keyboardist and a singer with full accompanying music and background and lead vocals. From the audience perspective, I am for whatever makes the show enjoyable! There is a regional cover band I have seen thatbis basically performers playing along with tracks. No drum mics...etc.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2016, 02:36:15 PM »

It's hard when there isn't enough money for a stage full of musicians and the music people want to hear has all this production in it.

One of the more interesting bands I've seen had a live drummer, bass, and guitar.  Along with a front man/singer.  Everybody else sang and the rest of the things were on tracks.  This gave a live, grooving rhythm section compared to the usual thing of canned rhythm and playing the color parts live.  Main thing was that the drummer was very good and could lock in with the tracks without sounding like he was chasing them.

Rick Powell

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2016, 06:12:52 PM »

Main thing was that the drummer was very good and could lock in with the tracks without sounding like he was chasing them.

^^^^^
THIS is what separates the big kids from the little kids. When the track sounds like it grooves to the drummer instead of the other way around.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2016, 07:28:47 PM »

^^^^^
THIS is what separates the big kids from the little kids. When the track sounds like it grooves to the drummer instead of the other way around.
https://youtu.be/uiXE87DWaAg

Scott Levine

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2016, 06:26:19 PM »

Band sounds excellent!  I'm a huge Bon Scott fan, so it's great to hear someone who can pull him off well!

But in all fairness to the conversation....it's AC/DC, what tracks could there be??  LOL
Bagpipes in "Its a long way to the top".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards,

"Not so Mean" Scott Levine
Strike Sound & Lighting

"There is nothing that can't be repaired or improved through the judicious use of gaffe tape."

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2016, 06:54:45 PM »

dot-dot-dot

Tim.  When did this all happen?  As recent as (I'll say) 2010, bands actually (really) played without tracks.  Those that tried to were easily detected.  Here in northern Illinois we had 2 really great bands that actually played.  One was 'Dot-Dot-Dot'; the other 'High Infidelity'.  They were a blast to dance to.

Whew!  I gotta get back in the beer tent!

-Dennis

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2016, 07:23:55 PM »

Tim.  When did this all happen?  As recent as (I'll say) 2010, bands actually (really) played without tracks.  Those that tried to were easily detected.  Here in northern Illinois we had 2 really great bands that actually played.  One was 'Dot-Dot-Dot'; the other 'High Infidelity'.  They were a blast to dance to.

Whew!  I gotta get back in the beer tent!

-Dennis

LOL... there are plenty of "cover" bands that play live all that you hear.  *Tribute* acts may or may not use various levels of pre-oozed sweetening with the live performance; it depends. ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2016, 09:32:06 PM »

Company Holiday party had some Latin band from LA that played some covers and some of their own stuff.  Full line up and two horns but lots of tracks with various folks ditching their instruments to be frontmen.  Drummer had his hands full starting and stopping things.  At times it grooved by often sounded disjointed.  Also, their BE went overboard cranking it.  I was getting 110dBA slow at the back of the dance area.  Everyone I talked to at work the following week said it was way too loud.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2016, 05:22:46 AM »

Some bands actually get's better with tracks.

I'm working with a band that wanted tracks on some songs and they never got it working because they didn't invest the time and gear necessary to make it happen. Not a lot needed but more than a ipod with one channe of click and one channel of tracks.

We landed a solution with 5 channels from Qlab (mono click and 2x stereo tracks) and IEMs for the drummer/lead vox. This changed two things.

The songs with tracks now works and sounds great.

Added bonus, the whole set sounds tighter and more composed. The drummer is a great guy but he has "tempo tourettes", as a set progress along he has a tendency to start the songs too fast. Now the set has three to four tempo autocorrect points, it really makes a difference.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2016, 05:22:46 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.