ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I (safely) connect two sources to a powered speaker with an XLR Y connector?  (Read 9643 times)

Derrick Bordelon

• Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Sounds to me like they can buy their own speaker then.
See how much they refuse to learn when they have to fork out $$

This is absolutely correct. At no time should you wire someone the wrong way just because someone refuses to learn and do it correctly. He should absolutely buy his own powered speaker if he doesn't want to learn.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

Sounds to me like they can buy their own speaker then.
See how much they refuse to learn when they have to fork out $$

I'm guessing the pianist has more political capital than Lucian or this silliness wouldn't be needing the work around.  And when some kind of failure occurs it will be Lucian's fault, not the pianist.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dennis Wiggins

I'm guessing the pianist has more political capital than Lucian or this silliness wouldn't be needing the work around.  And when some kind of failure occurs it will be Lucian's fault, not the pianist.

Silliness aside... why doesn't some one just do it for the pianist?

-Dennis

Derrick Bordelon

• Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Silliness aside... why doesn't some one just do it for the pianist?

-Dennis

My guess would be the pianist is doing a solo gig on the days/nights that OP is not there.

Steve Loewenthal

I have the Radial Engineering Pro AV1 Direct Box that takes 2 audio signals and sums them at the output. Perhaps something like that work for the OP?
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS

Safely combining line-level and an unknown device? What if it was a mic. Wouldn't the line-level signal turn the mic into a tiny speaker... and probably/definitely blow it?

[Warning: Topic Swerve]

You might be surprised.  Although I would never do it on purpose, I have heard sound coming out of a microphone (SM58) when some patches were crossed and the monitor feed got cross patched to a vocal mic channel.  I thought I was imagining things at first, but the thin sound of the track was definitely coming out of the microphone!

Then there was the time I was trying to trouble shoot why the signal to FOH was so low, even though my console was red-lining.  Turned out some enterprising recording engineer decided the use the "extra" lines (my returns) in the split snake for his audience mics.  The C414s survived, although their low output impedance severely loaded down the feed from the console.  The condenser mics don't make any sound, of course.  The first clue to what had happened was that the inputs to the PA were making quite a loud "pop" when they were patched and unpatched (the phantom power coming from the recording console).

Those were all accidents, but one day I observed one of my reporter colleagues returning from a news conference with his EV 635A microphone pressed to his ear.  I jokingly told him that he was supposed to speak into the mic, not listen to it.   He very seriously replied that, "Oh no, I just move the plug from the mic in to the headphone out (of the cassette recorder), and I can listen to what I recorded.  That way I don't need to bring headphones."  AFAIK, the 635 survived that abuse too.

Maybe the solution to the OP's problem is one of those cheap "one channel" mixers (about $50 from BearRinger and others).  Set the levels where you need them, and then put a dab of hot glue on the controls so they won't get accidentally moved.  It will need to stay powered up, but it sounds like the speaker and piano will be on all the time too if the player has a hard time with switches.

GTD

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA

[snip]

Maybe the solution to the OP's problem is one of those cheap "one channel" mixers (about $50 from BearRinger and others).  Set the levels where you need them, and then put a dab of hot glue on the controls so they won't get accidentally moved.  It will need to stay powered up, but it sounds like the speaker and piano will be on all the time too if the player has a hard time with switches.

GTD

Maybe take it one step further and tie everything into a single power strip so there is only one master switch?  (And hot glue the plugs and blank covers to the strip too!)
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA

You might be surprised.  Although I would never do it on purpose, I have heard sound coming out of a microphone (SM58) when some patches were crossed and the monitor feed got cross patched to a vocal mic channel.  I thought I was imagining things at first, but the thin sound of the track was definitely coming out of the microphone!

I worked with a couple of DJs back in the 80s who used SM58s as headphones-or rather headphone.

They removed the ball grill and wired it up to a headphone jack and would simply pick it up and put the element up to their ear as needed.

I guess it worked for them.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

duane massey

You probably would not have an issue with two pianos, BUT I am not aware of very many pianos that have XLR or balanced outputs. Are you using an electronic piano or a mic on an acoustic piano?
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Andrew Henderson

• Lab Lounge
    • http://www.getlostinsound.com

I worked with a couple of DJs back in the 80s who used SM58s as headphones-or rather headphone.

They removed the ball grill and wired it up to a headphone jack and would simply pick it up and put the element up to their ear as needed.

I guess it worked for them.
Use the right tool for the job, man.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.