ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Technica M2 In-Ear Drop Outs becoming more common......  (Read 11377 times)

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound
Audio Technica M2 In-Ear Drop Outs becoming more common......
« on: December 04, 2016, 04:37:30 PM »

I will be the first to admit I am not a wireless expert in regards to frequencies, interference etc, so keep that in mind.

I run an X32 rack and when my band plays, I prefer to be on in-ears and I know they enjoy it as well to keep the stage volume down.  I run 1964ears Quad driver custom molds.  Have a real solid mix, enjoy it, however recently I have been having issues more frequently where if I turn a certain way there are spots on stage that send a LOUD interference sound, white noise-ish type sound.  Even if I mute the board, its obviously between the transmitter and receiver.  I have tried relocating the transmitter (from 50 feet away to just 5 feet away right next to me) moving my belt pack, switching to multiple channels and it never seems to be eliminated. 

I have had this thing for a while now (probably 7 years or so?), it has always done it but not nearly this bad.  Is it the quality of this unit and I need to upgrade?  Or what might I be missing?

Appreciate the help!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Audio Technica M2 In-Ear Drop Outs becoming more common......
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 09:45:12 PM »

I will be the first to admit I am not a wireless expert in regards to frequencies, interference etc, so keep that in mind.

I run an X32 rack and when my band plays, I prefer to be on in-ears and I know they enjoy it as well to keep the stage volume down.  I run 1964ears Quad driver custom molds.  Have a real solid mix, enjoy it, however recently I have been having issues more frequently where if I turn a certain way there are spots on stage that send a LOUD interference sound, white noise-ish type sound.  Even if I mute the board, its obviously between the transmitter and receiver.  I have tried relocating the transmitter (from 50 feet away to just 5 feet away right next to me) moving my belt pack, switching to multiple channels and it never seems to be eliminated. 

I have had this thing for a while now (probably 7 years or so?), it has always done it but not nearly this bad.  Is it the quality of this unit and I need to upgrade?  Or what might I be missing?

Appreciate the help!

Jerome, that sounds like (no pun intended, but I'll use it) direct interference from a DTV transmitter or a severe intermodulation hit.

You might want to try this question over in the Wireless and Communications forum.  They'll want to know where you're located (US Zip Code or City/Provence/State) and the frequency range of the system you're using.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 10:14:14 PM »

Have a real solid mix, enjoy it, however recently I have been having issues more frequently where if I turn a certain way there are spots on stage that send a LOUD interference sound, white noise-ish type sound.

Be sure the ear receiver shows no RF level at all when the transmitter is off.  Ideally use a spectrum scanner to look at the RF around your frequency.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 12:42:05 AM »

Be sure the ear receiver shows no RF level at all when the transmitter is off.  Ideally use a spectrum scanner to look at the RF around your frequency.

Pete, I didn't ask Jerome if we was the only wireless IEM on stage or if the guitarists, bass player or singers were using wireless transmitters and if the dropouts had any consistency in location... I figured his post would be moved to the Wireless forum before you saw it here. ;)

The symptoms sound familiar to me (I worked with a youth musical theatre group that owned fixed-freq systems)...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 11:45:43 AM »

Another consideration or thought, Some of the wireless mics receivers have a squelch setting,  Would the IEM receiver have this to help prevent the His or loss of signal noise ?

Andrew Henderson

• Lab Lounge
    • http://www.getlostinsound.com
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 12:33:02 PM »

Another consideration or thought, Some of the wireless mics receivers have a squelch setting,  Would the IEM receiver have this to help prevent the His or loss of signal noise ?
I can confirm that it does. I haven't ever adjusted mine.

Jerome Casinger

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 02:51:49 PM »

Jerome, that sounds like (no pun intended, but I'll use it) direct interference from a DTV transmitter or a severe intermodulation hit.

You might want to try this question over in the Wireless and Communications forum.  They'll want to know where you're located (US Zip Code or City/Provence/State) and the frequency range of the system you're using.

Shows what I know....after 10years or something on this forum, I never paid attention that we have a Wireless and Comm forum...Doh....

Jerome Casinger

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 02:53:28 PM »

Pete, I didn't ask Jerome if we was the only wireless IEM on stage or if the guitarists, bass player or singers were using wireless transmitters and if the dropouts had any consistency in location... I figured his post would be moved to the Wireless forum before you saw it here. ;)

The symptoms sound familiar to me (I worked with a youth musical theatre group that owned fixed-freq systems)...

I am the only wireless anything on stage, with only the one belt pack for In-Ears.

Jerome Casinger

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 03:30:31 PM »

Frequency is 614-647, I was in ZipCode 45377.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 03:56:52 PM »

Frequency is 614-647, I was in ZipCode 45377.

That would be an L band system. The tuning range covers 5.5 TV channels, 2 of which are occupied. You are likely to get interference if you are using a frequency between 620-626MHz, or 632-638MHz. Those are the ranges of the 2 DTV channels in that zip code.

There may be other local sources of interference.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 03:56:52 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.