ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Technica M2 In-Ear Drop Outs becoming more common......  (Read 11286 times)

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound
Re: Audio Technica M2 In-Ear Drop Outs becoming more common......
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 08:52:28 AM »

Interesting. I realize now looking at the map I was right next to an airport as well, not sure if that has anything to do with it.  I have had this unit a while, is this band typically ok, or when/if I upgrade is their a better band for future to be in?  I am looking at maybe putting this as a spare unit and getting a Senny EW300's or Shure 900 series unit.

That would be an L band system. The tuning range covers 5.5 TV channels, 2 of which are occupied. You are likely to get interference if you are using a frequency between 620-626MHz, or 632-638MHz. Those are the ranges of the 2 DTV channels in that zip code.

There may be other local sources of interference.

Mac

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 11:27:12 AM »

Interesting. I realize now looking at the map I was right next to an airport as well, not sure if that has anything to do with it.  I have had this unit a while, is this band typically ok, or when/if I upgrade is their a better band for future to be in?  I am looking at maybe putting this as a spare unit and getting a Senny EW300's or Shure 900 series unit.

What frequency in the L Band are you tuned to now?

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 12:54:31 PM »

Jerome,

I notice that you have the limiter bypassed - is that intentional?

As you've noticed with this interference, wireless IEMs can do a lot of damage quickly if something goes awry; I suggest engaging the limiter or looking into an in-between unit like this:

http://preservear.com/store/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 07:49:04 PM »

Jerome,

As you've noticed with this interference, wireless IEMs can do a lot of damage quickly if something goes awry; I suggest engaging the limiter or looking into an in-between unit like this:

That wasnt my post, I do have protection in my system.

Andrew Henderson

• Lab Lounge
    • http://www.getlostinsound.com
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 08:57:06 PM »

Jerome,

Hey Jordan, that was my photo. I bypass mine when I have access to a better (variable threshold) limiter. I believe I was receiving from a Behringer P16 sometime before I snapped that photo. It has an adjustable limiter, so I had the built-in IEM limiter bypassed.

Karl Winkler

• http://www.lectrosonics.com
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 01:33:19 PM »

Hey Jordan, that was my photo. I bypass mine when I have access to a better (variable threshold) limiter. I believe I was receiving from a Behringer P16 sometime before I snapped that photo. It has an adjustable limiter, so I had the built-in IEM limiter bypassed.

Keep in mind, though, that there is a difference between having a limiter in front of your IEM transmitter, and having one in your receiver. The limiter in the receiver can help prevent hearing loss in the case of RF "hits" etc, while the one in front of the transmitter can't do that.
Karl Winkler

Lectrosonics, Inc.

Andrew Henderson

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2016, 02:58:33 PM »

Keep in mind, though, that there is a difference between having a limiter in front of your IEM transmitter, and having one in your receiver. The limiter in the receiver can help prevent hearing loss in the case of RF "hits" etc, while the one in front of the transmitter can't do that.
I remember reading about that in a recent thread. While I've never experienced a loud RF hit, it's still good advice. Thanks.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2016, 05:01:42 PM »

I remember reading about that in a recent thread. While I've never experienced a loud RF hit, it's still good advice. Thanks.

If you've experienced drop outs due to receiver desensitization by interference, you're in a good position to experience an RF "hit," too.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 05:13:38 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Andrew Henderson

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 05:12:31 PM »

If you're experiencing drop outs due to receiver desensitization by interference, you're in a good position to experience an RF "hit," too.

Any improvement regarding those dropouts?
Deferring to Jerome...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2016, 05:13:56 PM »

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2016, 05:13:56 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.