ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LED PAR spot/flood with homogenized single beam  (Read 5761 times)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: LED PAR spot/flood with homogenized single beam
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 05:57:39 PM »

I think a lot of it really comes down to what your definition of a "truly homogeneous beam" is.  By (my) definition, any of the 12x 4 in 1 type lights won't meet that because they don't use a common optical path.  The generic COB units would probably count (again, by my definition), so long as the beam and field angles are relatively close and the lens doesn't cause any noticeable "pixelation" of the COB light engine.  In comparison, ETC's Source Four LEDs use an array of LEDs followed by a series of mirrors and lens to produce the even and consistent output that the conventional S4s are known for.  Does anybody know the real "industry" definition of a homogenized beam?  I've only associated this term with lasers until it became the next best thing with LEDs!

I'm sure the Chinese clones will follow in due time since Chauvet, Elation, and others are now producing these lights in addition to the much higher dollar products such as what ETC sells.  The question though is whether or not to buy Chinese when the optics of such a unit are so important to its critical function.  That's a decision that only you can make.  I'm of the buy once cry once mentality, especially when the unit in question is critical to my product, but at the same time LED stage lights are still progressing so quickly that it's hard not to question a 5-figure investment on a few dozen of these lights only to know they'll be obsolete next year...  Fun discussion though!           

Steve Garris

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 03:29:03 PM »

I dunno, it's still listed on ColorKey's website.
http://www.colorkeyled.com/product/stagepar64-cob-tri/

I also looked at the ADJ "Dotz" COB pars at a local GC, but they didn't impress me much - a very wide flood, 36 watts, and also RGB only.

For some reason, it is hard to find a narrow spot LED light that isn't a mover. You can get a relatively cheap 50w mover these days, but I'd rather have something that I can permanently mount to a light bar instead of something as fragile as a mover that needs to be cased and individually hung and taken down every show. We already have 3 movers and that's enough hassle for the size of shows we are doing.

I agree - there's no good Chinese option for a good, led focusable spot. The 40w Dotz are too dim. There is the Chauvet 80W Core Par, used with a lens gets a 25 deg beam,but they're only RBG and they're not cheap:
https://www.amazon.com/Chauvet-Effects-Ultra-wide-Narrow-Sound-Active/dp/B016O8X8K0/ref=pd_day0_267_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B016O8X8K0&pd_rd_r=DMT900TKSK26CTZXGVGQ&pd_rd_w=w20qy&pd_rd_wg=FSdrr&psc=1&refRID=DMT900TKSK26CTZXGVGQ

Steve Garris

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 03:44:52 PM »

I need to correct my post on the ADJ COB Cannon.  It is RGBA and not RGBW.  At 40 degrees, its more of a WFL than a MFL replacement.  It falls in between with a very homogenized beam, akin to a Fresnel wash.

I'd rather have the amber than the white. That Cannon light is close to what I'm looking for, except it's 4x the price I want to spend. I need (2) bright wash lights with cob led's, and a 24-40 deg beam angle. 50 w led's minimum. Mine will be speaker mounted to wash the front of the stage.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 09:22:49 PM »

I mean the ETC s4 led lustr 2 is the gold standard for homogenized beam lights.  It's also $2000 or so....

The Chinese stuff will get there but that ADJ cannon seems to be an awfully good price to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 09:22:49 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.