ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie questions....Confused on use of DMX Dimmer packs?  (Read 18806 times)

Steve Garris

Re: Newbie questions....Confused on use of DMX Dimmer packs?
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 12:38:49 PM »

We used these LED PAR64 18x10W  There were a bit brighter than the ETC Ellipsoidal fixtures they replaced.  We ended up keeping two of the ellips's per side focused on the pulpit.  We could then soft light the rest of the stage during the sermon. 

Those 18x10W Chinese pars are really quite a good value. I've seen them out in the field and planning on grabbing a couple soon.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 08:20:56 PM »

A single DMX channel can only control a single function of "something."  That control can be a simple "on" or "off" function, or it can send an incremental signal (0% to 100% to a dimmer; actual values are 0 to 255). 

Regular incandecent lights only have one electrical function: current to the filiment, which can be 0% (off) to 100% (full on). A dimmer lets you move seamlessly from 0% to 100%. One DMX channel typically controls one dimmer, a one-to-one patch. If you daisy chain any number of dimmers, they will all act in unison.

Modern LED lights used on stages usually have three or more colors of LEDs combined within a single lighting fixture.  A simple RBG (red, blue, and green) LED light typically uses (at least) 4 control functions: the relative intensity of "red", the relative intensity of "blue", the relative intensity of "green", and a master intensity of the light output (like a dimmer).

More complex LED lights can have more or different colored LEDs, and can control physical movement and focus ("moving head lights", "intelligent" or "obedient" lights).  As such, you might have 30 or more attributes (functions) for each LED light.

DMX channels don't care how they are addressed (numbered), but it is customary to address DMX functions on a "per light" (or group of identical lights) block of numbers.   Each LED light lets you set the starting address for its group of control channels.

Lighting control boards (and software) are typically limited to the total number of DMX channels it can control.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 09:48:08 PM »

For church volunteer operation, I think you will find the Chauvet Obey 10 controller a poor choice. The non-logical sequence of button presses to accomplish the most basic operations is not helpful. It MIGHT be able to do a simple crossfade between two static scenes, and you MIGHT be able to create a simple cue list, but I would definitely find out for sure before purchasing. It's really intended for moving lights and chases, neither of which I doubt you have or need.
Not a fan.
Scott Hofmann

Will Padgett

• Lubbock, TX
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 10:23:03 PM »

No you misunderstand.....the older analog PAR 56 cans on the bar will be taken down completely and a new set of LED lights and cables and controller in back will be in it's place. Only the bar to hold the lights will remain.

What I was talking about for the house lights, is that they are basically wired with the same kind of dimmer pack that is on our bar with the older lights now (We have two in the attic and two on the bar) and they will only work with our old analog lighting controller ...that is why we will have to keep our old board  ...the two up in the attic would stay and  would be used strictly to run the house lights but nothing more...basically turn them off/on or dim them...but that is all.

The new system will be completely separate and the new lighting board to run the PAR cans would sit where it is in the back along with the old lighting board.

I was just wondering if we needed new dimmer packs for the LED lights on the bar only....it seems we do not.... so that is a good thing and will save us money.

Glenn

Depending on what the dimmers are in the attic you may be able to get signal converters to go from dmx to whatever they need. We have since remodeled and went to led house lights but I had to go from dmx to mpx several years ago for the house light dimmer.
Will Padgett
The Worship Center
Lubbock,TX

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 10:23:03 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.