ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggest a Small Digital Mixer  (Read 3212 times)

Joey Breaux

Suggest a Small Digital Mixer
« on: November 26, 2016, 02:56:48 PM »

I've been using the QU-16 for a couple of years and love it; but I'm no longer doing the band-thing. I'm about to start doing some acoustic stuff with another guitar player so I'm thinking smaller mixer; maybe the QSC Touchmix 16. Recommendations?

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: Suggest a Small Digital Mixer
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 03:40:44 PM »

I've been using the QU-16 for a couple of years and love it; but I'm no longer doing the band-thing. I'm about to start doing some acoustic stuff with another guitar player so I'm thinking smaller mixer; maybe the QSC Touchmix 16. Recommendations?

Are you OK with using a tablet as a wireless controller?

If so, I'd recommend any of the surface-less mixers: Behringer X32 Rack, A&H Qu-SB, Behringer XR18, Presonus, Mackie, etc.

Using a rack mounted mixer means that you can rack everything you need up and keep it connected (power strip, WiFi, wireless mics, IEMs or headphone amps, etc). It works great for quick repeatable setup. The QSC Touchmix has analog gains which means that they must be checked every time. It's also a "tabletop" mixer. Even though it's small, you have to get it out and plug in all the connections to get it going. 

Joey Breaux

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 06:17:24 PM »

Yes, I'm OK with wireless. The A&H QU-SB would make the most sense to me since I'm already familiar with the app.

The QSC just looks so darn portable.

Are you OK with using a tablet as a wireless controller?

If so, I'd recommend any of the surface-less mixers: Behringer X32 Rack, A&H Qu-SB, Behringer XR18, Presonus, Mackie, etc.

Using a rack mounted mixer means that you can rack everything you need up and keep it connected (power strip, WiFi, wireless mics, IEMs or headphone amps, etc). It works great for quick repeatable setup. The QSC Touchmix has analog gains which means that they must be checked every time. It's also a "tabletop" mixer. Even though it's small, you have to get it out and plug in all the connections to get it going.

Joey Breaux

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 07:10:00 PM »

What about the Soundcraft Ui16?

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 10:24:35 PM »

The QSC just looks so darn portable.

...and it is. Whether it's more or less convenient depends on how you plan to use it. Note: there's a huge power brick that comes with it you have to find space for.

I've used the TouchMix 8. It works well for what I wanted it for which is spoken word events. The ability to record multi-track on board is handy.

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 01:20:34 AM »

For the ultimate portable acoustic set up I have a XR12 and two Shure wireless receivers mounted in a 3 sp rack. Only the front lid gets removed, one cable out for power, one for signal and one for power to my Meyer UPM-1P speaker. If it's a really small gig I set the speaker on the floor. My trip from the car is: guitar, 3sp rack, speaker (I can do it in one trip). If it's a little bigger I may bring a second speaker and a stand or two. If I don't want to use my wireless headset I need a mic stand but everything stays wired into the rack. Small set up is five mins, larger set up is 10.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 08:19:34 AM »

The QSC Touchmix has analog gains which means that they must be checked every time. It's also a "tabletop" mixer. Even though it's small, you have to get it out and plug in all the connections to get it going.

It is rack mountable with the  optional top mixer rack mount plate which would allow you to leave all your connections in place. I do that with my dl1608, and just pull out a pre connected snake to drop on stage. Of course since the OP already has the QU-16, I'm assuming he wants something a lot more compact.

The Touchmix 8 is small enough that you could sit it on top of a small round folding stool for those really tight stages, making it easy to access for adjustments.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Mark Amber

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 04:14:50 PM »

There are some use cases where the touchmix excels. Having local controls and not having to send out an iPad is a clear win and no fussing with addresses is great. However the interface is slow and the cost is very high compared to other option and the power adapter is annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Bolt

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 04:27:12 PM »

Honestly, for my small "grab and go" rig, I use my Allen & Heath ZED 10fx.  It is a very simple, very good sounding little mixer with more than enough channels for a duo..... and it is truly tiny.

If you want digital (which would require a tablet as well), I would also suggest the XR12.  I have considered this rig as a replacement of my ZED since it offers better processing (by a long shot) and is even smaller than the ZED.

I would not suggest the larger channel count mixers since you already have a Qu-16 which is going to be a much better option than something like the TouchMix for bigger channel count venue requirements.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 04:27:12 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 24 queries.