ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: axisymmetric speaker..  (Read 13268 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: axisymmetric speaker..
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 06:15:09 PM »

Yes, the definition is incomplete.  Axisymetric means symetrical rotationally around an axis.

I will ask again.

Why does a coax not meet this description?

A coax with no horn-or a round horn seems to be symmetrical around a point.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 06:26:40 PM »

I will ask again.

Why does a coax not meet this description?

A coax with no horn-or a round horn seems to be symmetrical around a point.

It may be, but not always.  What if the horn/HF driver is asymetric?  Then the entire assembly is a mirror image in one axis but not the other.  Axisymmetric, the way that I interpret the definition, seems to require the pattern being symmetrical in both axes although not necessarily conical.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 06:36:11 PM »

It may be, but not always.  What if the horn/HF driver is asymetric?  Then the entire assembly is a mirror image in one axis but not the other.  Axisymmetric, the way that I interpret the definition, seems to require the pattern being symmetrical in both axes although not necessarily conical.

Lee
As I said-how can a coax that does not have a horn or a ROUND horn have anything other than a round pattern?

The last time I checked-Round was pretty symmetrical.

OVAL is NOT round.

I would love to see an example of something otherwise.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 07:47:37 PM »

As I said-how can a coax that does not have a horn or a ROUND horn have anything other than a round pattern?

The last time I checked-Round was pretty symmetrical.

OVAL is NOT round.

I would love to see an example of something otherwise.

Agreed with you as far as the no horn, round horn goes with the exception of cabinet interactions if the face is not symmetrical as well.

There are coax with horn loaded HF and assymetric horns for the HF that would not fit the axisymmetric definition from what I have seen.  It seems like any CD horn would fit if the definition requires the device to be mirror imaged symmetrical along either axis.  If it requires rotational symetry then only a conical or spherical/hemispherical pattern would allow that.

EDIT;
I just looked up another definition for axisymmetrical and it included this "exhibiting cylindrical symmetry"...so I guess only a cylindrical/spherical/hemispherical pattern would fit the definition.

Lee
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 07:53:58 PM by Lee Buckalew »
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 08:22:25 PM »

It seems like any CD horn would fit if the definition requires the device to be mirror imaged symmetrical along either axis. 
The HF Horn might fit the description, but a cabinet with a woofer added will not fit the description.

A coax or synergy type horn are the only ones that can fit the description.

Or a MTM type alignment (assuming BOTH woofers are driven equally) if you are only looking at ONE axis, not both.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2016, 08:30:46 PM »

The HF Horn might fit the description, but a cabinet with a woofer added will not fit the description.

A coax or synergy type horn are the only ones that can fit the description.

Based on my finding this additional definition for axisymmetrical, "exhibiting cylindrical symmetry", only a cylindrical/spherical/hemispherical pattern would fit the definition.  So coax or Dual Concentric with conical or hemispherical dispersion seem to be the only dispersion characteristics that fit the definition.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2016, 08:42:55 PM »

Based on my finding this additional definition for axisymmetrical, "exhibiting cylindrical symmetry", only a cylindrical/spherical/hemispherical pattern would fit the definition.  So coax or Dual Concentric with conical or hemispherical dispersion seem to be the only dispersion characteristics that fit the definition.

Lee
So I wonder what the OP speaker looks like behind the grill?

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

RaySoly

• Retired IATSE 56 MONTREAL
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2016, 10:54:22 AM »

So I wonder what the OP speaker looks like behind the grill?

this is what they look like from the outside, http://www.l-acoustics.com/products-112p-41.html

As Ivan asks, what does it look like inside?..and how does it behave at higher frequencies…?

Thanks for the useful info…….

Ray

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2016, 01:37:38 PM »

this is what they look like from the outside, http://www.l-acoustics.com/products-112p-41.html

I have used these speakes and they have coaxial high frequency horns that are conical so would fit the axi symetric definition.
In this image, the high frequency driver is coaxial but NOT conical so would , in my opinion, not fit the axi symaetric definition.

BTW...the L'Acoustics speakers you linked to sound excellent and do behave very well.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Jeff M Hague

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2020, 02:32:06 PM »

can anyone explain what is meant by "90degree axisymetric loudspeaker"

obviously it doesn,t mean its a perfect 90x90 for all frequencies.?!

thanks

ray

Curious after reading this post (yes I know its quite old). According to the manual the QSC K.2 speakers say they are axisymmetric but they are pretty standard horn over driver 2 way boxes.
The thread would indicate that only coax drivers could exhibit an axisymmetric pattern. Or am I reading things wrong?
Jeff

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2020, 02:32:06 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 23 queries.