ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Access to old forums?  (Read 17927 times)

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: Access to old forums?
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 11:04:02 AM »

My feeling is to have a lot of information about the transition, scattered around 2 forums and many sub-forums. There are some false assumptions from that here and there.

An official statement, readable everywhere, would help.

Not herding new people to the new forums, without even notifying them about the wealth of searchable information in the old forums, would help.

I am aware of the fact that a transition is never easy, inside and outside. However, I can only comment on the outside situation, that feels like mentioned above.

PS: the captcha is a no-go, every post involves a little guesswork. Please lose it.

I believe Chad is looking at Captcha or similar at registration in order to avoid re-authentication each time one posts.

This site was not supposed to be revealed to the entire community, only to chosen testers, but it got unleashed anyway. In no way should this site be considered live, or in its final form.  This is still a test site.

The decision to make old content accessible is very recent.  Ultimately there will be a link or other method to access old content, but since the 'old content' is still live that method does not yet exist.

Thanks Christian...

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 11:13:47 AM »

Yeah I did, given that I posted here about two or three times a month (usually looking for support on a technical issue) I was not what you would call a major poster here. That being said, it wasn't that hard for PSW to show enough professionalism to send us PM's to advise of the upcoming change a few weeks in advance. I did check that regularly.

Very bad form PSW. At least you could have NOTIFIED US ACCOUNT HOLDERS FIRST!!!???

Anyways, I'm not sure how (or if it's even possible) to find old content (because that's what made this forum relevant to me anyways) but if they can't work that content into this "new and improved" forum they can pretty much count my random posts out from future content.

Somehow I'm reminded of all the great manufacturers that tried to improve their legacy products in the 80's only to watch the new stuff tank and their old stuff appreciate in value. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

My $.02.
Dusk

Go to your profile and use your full name to post on the SR forums.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Dave Stevens

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 02:27:58 PM »

Christian is talking about the captcha on the post thread.  Poor UI.  We are already logged in.

Let me say, this is a real embarassement, not only for the current owners but for me to have such a great resource treated in such a manner.  I don't know who is making the decisions but the lack of respect for the community is appalling.  While I know, perhaps better than anyone here, the effort and expense to keep this train on the track the number one rule of a strong community has been breached.  The community has lost confidence in the operators due to a lack of respect.

It's completely disrespectful to the community that no one other that the mods have come forward with a statement.  The fact that the idea of deep sixing the existing content was even stated in public shows me that the persons calling the shots at EH have no respect for the community or have any idea as the culture or educational value of the content.  This NEVER would have happened at Moving Parts Media, Universal Concept or Huge Universe. For fuck sake there isn't even an apology for the grief that's been caused.  Those companies had people in executive and managerial roles that understood the culture of the community with some having firsthand experience in the craft.

EH really stepped on their collective dicks in golf shoes.  The real test will be to see if they've fractured the community in a way that is not repairable.

Dave

Mack McLaughlin

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 08:28:43 AM »

It just makes me happy that the old content will at least be searchable.  What a treasure trove of information and it would have been a shame to see it have gone away.

That makes for a good morning for me.   Thanks Doug.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 08:28:43 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.