ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Freespeak fiber antenna splitter latency  (Read 6077 times)

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
Freespeak fiber antenna splitter latency
« on: November 23, 2016, 08:49:03 AM »

On the Macys parade at 34th street we are using almost 40 Freespeak beltpacks.  20 on a 1.9GHz system and 20 on a 2.4GHz.  5 antennas for each line the street from mid block east to 6th avenue on a cat5 connected splitter.  The remaining 5 for each, are in the TV compound and up 6th avenue via a fiber connected splitter.

Initially with all antenna cable lengths at minimum, BP could roam from the stage on 34th street into the TV compound and up 6th ave.  However they could not go back...the BP stayed connected to the TV compound and the only way to get them back on the 34th st stage was to cycle power on the bp.

at first I adjusted the various antenna cable lengths as high as 300 M with no results.  I did notice that setting a fiber antenna at 1540 would evict it back to the stage.  I set all the fiber splitter antennas at 1000M and then they began to sync properly with the cat5 splitter.  The fiber conversion probably introduces a lot more latency than a cat5 cable would.

Notes from Clearcom:  We measured the sync/data latency in the lab and found no real difference between the new/old splitters and fiber/cat cabling just to isolate that from the equation.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 07:15:35 AM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Re: Freespeak fiber antenna splitter latency
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 10:30:14 AM »

Not really familiar with the Freespeak gear but this does make me curious about how the difference between copper and fiber translate to possible Dante issues.  Was the fiber conversion taking place in a dedicated Freespeak piece of hardware or some generic Ethernet switch with a fiber port?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 11:20:12 AM »

Not really familiar with the Freespeak gear but this does make me curious about how the difference between copper and fiber translate to possible Dante issues.  Was the fiber conversion taking place in a dedicated Freespeak piece of hardware or some generic Ethernet switch with a fiber port?

Freespeak antennas use a proprietary splitter. It is not RF over IP. It is still analog signals, just via light instead of EM signals, so latency can cause phase errors if not corrected for. Dante is digital, and the timing signal within Dante keeps everything in sync, so while overall latency can be greater, it does not impede the transmission.

Mac

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 02:55:37 PM »

(currently) Freespeak antennas use a proprietary splitter. It is not RF over IP. It is still analog signals, just via light instead of EM signals, so latency can cause phase errors if not corrected for. Dante is digital, and the timing signal within Dante keeps everything in sync, so while overall latency can be greater, it does not impede the transmission.

Mac

CC announced that FSII antennas will soon be IP Based and will operate on a normal network with other data like Dante.  This will eliminate the need for a special splitter.  Not sure if the antennas themselves will be fiber but switches could be fiber while distributing to the antennas.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Ross Goldman (2)

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 03:49:23 PM »

CC announced that FSII antennas will soon be IP Based and will operate on a normal network with other data like Dante.  This will eliminate the need for a special splitter.  Not sure if the antennas themselves will be fiber but switches could be fiber while distributing to the antennas.

Wow, that's great news. Is that a software update for existing transceivers, or new hardware?

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 03:27:44 AM »

Wow, that's great news. Is that a software update for existing transceivers, or new hardware?

Don't know yet.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 02:32:02 PM »

Best news i've heard all week.  I'll be watching for this....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 05:40:56 AM »

The latter, I believe.

I once did a gig with some loaner antennae from CC, and one of them had a POE jack...
Riedel Communications

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 09:28:29 AM »

Sorry for perpetuating a rumor.  This networkable antenna was hinted at at NAB/NYC by some salesman at CC and in reality, although it can be done, there is no plan currently to make the antennas IP networkable such that the antennas are all in sync.  There has always been notes in the manyal about extending an antenna over a network or fiber with certain limitations, namely that the remote antenna location is not a roaming connection and it is in another rv zone away from the other non networked antennas.

The fiber connection currently offered to the splitter has not only the ethernet E3 audio data but a 422 Sync pulse.  We have previously used 2 divverent media converters, 1 for E3 and 1 for 422 to extend the splitter.  Read more and see a video of the method on my  Freespeak page

« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 10:27:42 AM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 01:12:19 PM »

Sorry for perpetuating a rumor.  This networkable antenna was hinted at at NAB/NYC by some salesman at CC and in reality, although it can be done, there is no plan currently to make the antennas IP networkable such that the antennas are all in sync.  There has always been notes in the manyal about extending an antenna over a network or fiber with certain limitations, namely that the remote antenna location is not a roaming connection and it is in another rv zone away from the other non networked antennas.

The fiber connection currently offered to the splitter has not only the ethernet E3 audio data but a 422 Sync pulse.  We have previously used 2 divverent media converters, 1 for E3 and 1 for 422 to extend the splitter.  Read more and see a video of the method on my  Freespeak page

Well bummer, but thanks for the followup.

Just to make sure i fully understand this...  In this non networked scenario, a user could travel to the remote location and speak to folks in the local location,  but would need to 'resync' their beltpack to do so.  It would not just seamlessly move from one antenna to another?

And just to be really pedantic.  'resync' would mean a power cycle AND a change/reselection of BP Role?  Or just a power cycle?
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 01:12:19 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 25 queries.