ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkville TX8 + TX9s still worthy?  (Read 6720 times)

Peter Hvedstrup

• Disco-Flex
Yorkville TX8 + TX9s still worthy?
« on: November 23, 2016, 05:43:00 AM »

Hi all

I have been offered 4 of each box (in good condition) + processors for peanuts. I'm considering taking the deal just to try somthing new for not a lot of cash.

I mostly play dj's at highschool partys for up to 1000 people and top 40 music.

I also have A Xilica DSP and powersoft amps to use with the settings provided by Yorkville so i wouldn't need to use the analog processors.

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
Re: Yorkville TX8 + TX9s still worthy?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 08:04:12 AM »

Hi all

I have been offered 4 of each box (in good condition) + processors for peanuts. I'm considering taking the deal just to try somthing new for not a lot of cash.

I also have A Xilica DSP and powersoft amps to use with the settings provided by Yorkville so i wouldn't need to use the analog processors.

Define "peanuts".

TX8 was the "Poor Man's KF850", and IIRC the weak point was the mid driver.  TX9 was an ok 2x18 sub, but required gobs of power to be happy (I mainly used PL6.0-II, but they were happier on a PL9.0).  You can start with a Smaart trace of the factory processor, but the limiter settings were rather conservative so you can probably improve things with the Xilica and some shop time.

At the end of the day, it's over #1600 of speakers that you still need big amplifiers to drive.  Does that fit your market and is it worth it to you?

Peter Hvedstrup

• Disco-Flex
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 08:23:30 AM »

Define "peanuts".

TX8 was the "Poor Man's KF850", and IIRC the weak point was the mid driver.  TX9 was an ok 2x18 sub, but required gobs of power to be happy (I mainly used PL6.0-II, but they were happier on a PL9.0).  You can start with a Smaart trace of the factory processor, but the limiter settings were rather conservative so you can probably improve things with the Xilica and some shop time.

At the end of the day, it's over #1600 of speakers that you still need big amplifiers to drive.  Does that fit your market and is it worth it to you?

I'm only in this business as a hobby and i like to try out new stuff some times. I have been using a Turbosound Floodlight system with TSW-718 subs for 5 years and have been very happy.

Settings for exactly the Xilica are available on the Yorkville homepage.

The Yorkville system would cost me about 3000 usd.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 09:43:56 AM »

The tops are decent. If you have 2 a side they would be ok for a longer, narrower room. I feel like the high end of the tops is fairly narrow. I don't know the specs offhand, but I've ised the system while on tour and it always seemed like the HF was a laser beam of sound right in front of the cab and off to the sides were muddy.

The subs were just kinda meh. They get loud but not very deep. And not very accurate either. They are just big old sledgehammers punding away randomly.

They whole system gets loud and would be good for a street gig in the rain where you don't want to put out your nice stuff.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 10:27:59 AM »

I have been using a Turbosound Floodlight system with TSW-718 subs for 5 years and have been very happy.

Then, why change?  Seems like the Yorkies would be a lateral move, at best.

Save your money for newer technology, when you need more than what your current Turbosound rig can accomplish.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 10:06:51 PM »

Hi all

I own a TX8/9S system and I am quite happy with them.  I use them as my long throw outdoor system for local civic events; town fireworks, festivals.
The TX8 processor EQ's things very well while providing compression for speaker protection.

If I were to DJ my rig I would double-up on the subs (two subs per one TX8) per side. 
They are heavy - especially the TX8's but I really like their sound...

Peter Hvedstrup

• Disco-Flex
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 03:07:40 AM »

Thanks for your replies.

I just might give the system a go, just for the fun of it.

Can anyone tell me how it's wired? Can't find anything online. Is it +1/-1 SUB, +2/-2 low mid, +3/-3 hi-mid and +4/-4 hi?

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 07:43:17 AM »

Thanks for your replies.

I just might give the system a go, just for the fun of it.

Can anyone tell me how it's wired? Can't find anything online. Is it +1/-1 SUB, +2/-2 low mid, +3/-3 hi-mid and +4/-4 hi?

You are correct. 
I use an NL8 cable from my amp rack to the TX8 cab.  Then I use an NL4 as a jumper from the TX8 to the TX9S.
If I am deploying two cabs per side of a stage, I like the fact that all I need is one one NL8 to the stack plus one short jumper.
(Less of a tripping hazard.)
Are you going to use the Yorkville processor?

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 07:56:42 AM »

Hi all

I just visited Yorkville's website and the TX series is no longer in production.  I think that the TX line started in 1995 or thereabouts.
They may have gone out of production this year. 

If you email Yorkville I am sure that they can send you the TX processor user manual in .pdf form.
If you are stuck, I can fax you a copy of my TX processor manual...

FWIW: Yorkville has a newer line http://www.vtcproaudio.com/  in which the http://www.vtcproaudio.com/ns9.html has the same specs a TX9S sub without the grill foam (which seems quite odd).  Same cab size, frequency range, etc.

Dave Guilford

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 08:49:06 PM »

Yorkville stuff is huge around my area (buffalo ny) since we are so close to Toronto (yorkville HQ). 

There are a couple of production companies and venues which use TX rig.  Rig is solid, more up to the operator from what I've seen.  I considered a TX rig since it's so easy to rent more when needed, but I ended up with srx725/728 rig instead because of the weight reduction primarily; but also the TX series all require bi-amp tops. 

Still, as long as I don't have to lift it - yorkville tx stuff is great value.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 08:49:06 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 24 queries.