ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Giving up a physical mixing surface..  (Read 12138 times)

John Chiara

Re: Giving up a physical mixing surface..
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 11:38:45 PM »

I can only comment based on my experiences as a performer watching various engineers using a tablet or similar. For a full band with limited time for set-up/soundcheck I always dread seeing a guy with a tablet, unless there is a full-sized console as well. If it is a band the guy is not familiar with (which is very common for me) I can pretty much count on a late start and a very poor mix for the first 2-4 tunes. Maybe it's just because the level of competency is very low in our area, but I know I would not want to try it.
Now, if you're using for your own band, makes perfect sense, once you get your basics dialed in and stored.
You may love it. Once size does not fit all.

I actually mixed almost exclusively on iPad for almost 2 years. Never have connection problems with my own system. Have recently been moving back to the console for most shows...in clubs where either I have installs or the house has an X32....and really like it. I am a very active mixer and love that I can do 3,4,5 things at once on the console surface...from riding FX sends to switching quickly between channels to compare gate/comp//EQ...etc.

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 11:53:21 PM »

Fantastic, thanks everyone for the replies and insights.
Now to find somebody local with stock at a good price :)
Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 01:27:38 AM »

I have done a few gigs managing the PA from the stage using an iPad hooked to my Expression board.  Most of them have been on drums.  It's doable.  Mount the iPad on a stand and you can mute channels and tweak levels a bit.  EQ or FX of multiple monitor sends are a bit more of an issue.  I dislike the amount of attention you have to pay to watching your hand on a virtual control while playing.  A tactile surface lets you glance at it long enough to grab the right knob and then pay attention to your playing while adjusting.  Most drummers can hold a beat with one hand (or guitar players can hold a chord) but to do that while watching a tiny fader is another thing.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 04:42:02 AM »

There really is a need for a light, cheap controller.  The X-Touch is close, but bulky and not really that well suited for live use.  Trouble is, I'm not sure it would fit that commercially into the product line, however much the punters would love it.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 05:13:35 AM »

Back in September, I did my first event with a Behringer XR16.  I had a hard wired laptop and separate mouse and an Android tablet.

I thought I would hate it, but I didn't.

It was a ten hour event with eight acts.  I did 95% of the mixing at the laptop at the side of the stage which was convenient for setting monitor levels. Despite having the tablet, I did the majority of the FOH mixing like I would with an analogue mixer at the side of the stage.  i.e. by going out into the audience then coming back to adjust.

I now want to get a touchscreen monitor and attach a Raspberry Pi to it to make a control surface.

Steve.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 05:17:34 AM by Steve M Smith »

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 08:29:27 AM »

Fantastic, thanks everyone for the replies and insights.
Now to find somebody local with stock at a good price :)

You won't find a better price than from Mike Pyle on here

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 11:05:51 AM »

I have been mixing on an IPad for a couple of years now. I connect to a Presonus 32. My son mixes monitors and I do FOH. The only down side is I do not have control over the channel gains...

A simple workaround is adding the rack mount 32 into our system and I mix on that and my son mixes on the table top. Since we already have mic splitters no added expense there.

Not the cheapest answer but it will work grate for us.

Bob Cap
Advanced Audio Inc.
Gilbert, MN

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2016, 12:46:58 PM »

Callan, I own several mixers including a full size X32 and the X32 Rack.  I use the Rack for EDM events and shows with a relatively low level of mixing interaction.  As was pointed out up-thread, having to look down to see what the finger is doing on a tablet is a significant distraction - I find myself trying to finesse the control movement.  This may be a deal-breaker for someone mixing while performing, depending on how much or how often one needs to make changes.

If you're not having to make lots of changes now with an analog mixer or "surfaced" digital mixer you'll probably be okay.

As Ivan often says, "it depends..."

Edit ps.  Debbie Dunkley mixes on a big Android "table" (it's too big to be a tablet, LOL).  It has the same resolution as a 7" or 10" tablet so the faders are longer and the controls just bigger in general.  If you search her posts you can find out what she's using or you can PM her for details.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 12:50:35 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Garris

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2016, 01:09:25 PM »

I have a 1608 - love it for mixing from stage. 

The Mackie software is far beyond any other wireless appp I've seen.  master Fader 4.5 simply kills the Soundcraft software. 

I would put my money on Mackie - and more or less I can't stand loud technologies... the 1608 has been a killer board for me.

Agree 100%. I've had mine for 3 years now, and I've done more shows than I did the past 10 years, and have made more money than any previous time in the hobby. While I do not like Mackie speakers, the DL32 is definitely on my list of future purchases.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2016, 02:36:24 PM »

We currently have nine consoles that can be controlled by iPads and two XR18s that have no control surface at all.  The only reason I was willing to buy the XRs was that a laptop could be hardwired to an external wifi router thru a switch port.  Wifi works fine right up to the moment that it doesn't.  I would strongly suggest alway having an online hardwired connection to a surfaceless mixer.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 08:34:34 PM by Riley Casey »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2016, 02:36:24 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.