ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Long distance (2500 ft) Wireless Audio Transmission  (Read 10574 times)

Luke Robinson

• audio gods
Long distance (2500 ft) Wireless Audio Transmission
« on: November 15, 2016, 11:36:12 AM »

We have a reoccurring gig each year that involves a parade of boats decorated for christmas on a river. This year we have been asked to transmit the audio from the announcer to both sides of the river. The second location is about 2500 ft from the first according to google maps.

We have clean line of sight and are elevated about 30-40 ft above the river on both sides.

Usually I use an IEM system for delay towers and the like but they seem to max out between 300 and 400 ft. I clearly need more power here.

Does anyone know of a solution for transmitting audio over this kind of distance cleanly?

Thanks,
Luke

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Long distance (2500 ft) Wireless Audio Transmission
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 11:42:24 AM »

We have a reoccurring gig each year that involves a parade of boats decorated for christmas on a river. This year we have been asked to transmit the audio from the announcer to both sides of the river. The second location is about 2500 ft from the first according to google maps.

We have clean line of sight and are elevated about 30-40 ft above the river on both sides.

Usually I use an IEM system for delay towers and the like but they seem to max out between 300 and 400 ft. I clearly need more power here.

Does anyone know of a solution for transmitting audio over this kind of distance cleanly?

Thanks,
Luke

We have used Lectrosonics IFB transmitter (250mW) and appropriate Lectro receiver.  We used helical antenna on the transmit side and LPDA (paddle) antenna on the receive end.  We rent a package from Bexel Broadcast in VA (formerly the Systems Wireless shop).  Flawless performance.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 12:38:52 PM »

Thanks,
Luke

That is within the spec for Xirium Pro, if you have the budget for it.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 12:41:59 PM »

That is within the spec for Xirium Pro, if you have the budget for it.

Too bad they have all been recalled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 12:48:28 PM »

Thanks,
Luke

Is price an object?  Neutrk Xirium Pro is purpose built for just this application and likely the king of the hill. Rated for up to 1/2 mile line of site transmission.  We have used this system all season (though not at this extreme distance) and it is stupid easy to set up, rock solid in performance and sounds like it's hard wired.

http://www.neutrik.us/en-us/news/xirium_pro
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 12:50:34 PM »

Too bad they have all been recalled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep.  Circuit boards delaminating.  They hope to have the problem solved and reshipping before end of year is what I hear.  It's a great system.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 02:56:57 PM »

We have used Lectrosonics IFB transmitter (250mW) and appropriate Lectro receiver.  We used helical antenna on the transmit side and LPDA (paddle) antenna on the receive end.  We rent a package from Bexel Broadcast in VA (formerly the Systems Wireless shop).  Flawless performance.

Any particular reason to use two different antennas?
wouldn't you want the polarization to match?

Jason

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 04:09:47 PM »

Any particular reason to use two different antennas?
wouldn't you want the polarization to match?

Jason

I had to go back and look at the invoice.  We had 2 systems, one with helical and the other with paddles.  I somehow put them together in my memory....  Damn this getting old thing is getting old.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Woodworth

• Intellasound Productions
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 04:18:16 PM »

Hey Luke,

You can reach these distances by using the technique called point to point with a Shure PSM900 unit as the transmitter, and a Shure UHF-R as the receiver. We use this all of the time for large scale events that we want a wireless solution. just Google "Shure point to point" and you will find a PDF that explains how to put the PSM900 into the PTP mode. Obviously the two units must be tuned to the same frequency, so they must be in the same freq. range. Helical on the 900 and high gain paddles on the UHF-R and you will be good to go.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Tim Woodworth
Intellasound Productions
Verona, WI

Luke Robinson

• audio gods
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 05:18:44 PM »

Hey Luke,

You can reach these distances by using the technique called point to point with a Shure PSM900 unit as the transmitter, and a Shure UHF-R as the receiver. We use this all of the time for large scale events that we want a wireless solution. just Google "Shure point to point" and you will find a PDF that explains how to put the PSM900 into the PTP mode. Obviously the two units must be tuned to the same frequency, so they must be in the same freq. range. Helical on the 900 and high gain paddles on the UHF-R and you will be good to go.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Sounds interesting, I am going to have to do some research, thanks for the tip that is gear that is redially available.

Does anyone know of a rental house in the Philadelphia area that may have the Lectrosonics gear. I was going to call tim's contact in VA and see if they would be willing to do a rental via UPS but if i can get it locally all the better.

Thanks to all for your help.

Luke

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 05:18:44 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.