ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cordless mic for rock band  (Read 4613 times)

Jeffrey l jones

Cordless mic for rock band
« on: November 14, 2016, 09:49:56 PM »

Have never used any kind of cordless mic. I play in a loud classic rock band. We turn the monitors up. Right now we use EV 767 wired mic's . Monitors are Yamaha CM12V's powered by Crown XLS2500. Every member (4) has a monitor. The EV mic's are great not feeding back. I move around ALOT!
Wanted to move to wireless mic. Was looking at

Shure PGXD24/Beta58A Digital Wireless System with Beta 58A Mic

And

Electro-Voice RE2-N7 Wireless System with EV 767a Dynamic Element

Has anyone use either of these? Leaning toward EV because of success of the wired versions .
EditDeleteReport#1+ QuoteReply
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 10:03:36 PM by Jeffrey l jones »

Andrew Henderson

• Lab Lounge
    • http://www.getlostinsound.com
Re: Cordless mic for rock band
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 11:09:46 PM »

Do you have the ability to rent or borrow both versions before purchasing?

If you're really happy with what you have now, except for the freedom factor, I'd go with the EV. The 767a is a great mic. I haven't used their wireless units though; maybe some others can chime in on RF reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 11:56:08 PM »

Haven't used the EV, but I'd stay far away from the PGX for musical use. It's fine for some light duty speaking, but the sound quality will do nothing but disappoint. Limited headroom, moderate range, not something I'd recommend.
Brian Jojade

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 05:59:39 AM »

Have never used any kind of cordless mic. I play in a loud classic rock band. We turn the monitors up. Right now we use EV 767 wired mic's . Monitors are Yamaha CM12V's powered by Crown XLS2500. Every member (4) has a monitor. The EV mic's are great not feeding back. I move around ALOT!
Wanted to move to wireless mic. Was looking at

Shure PGXD24/Beta58A Digital Wireless System with Beta 58A Mic

And

Electro-Voice RE2-N7 Wireless System with EV 767a Dynamic Element

Has anyone use either of these? Leaning toward EV because of success of the wired versions .
EditDeleteReport#1+ QuoteReply
It is not wirelss or wired that determines feedback or not-but rather the element head-where it is positioned (in relation to the position of the speakers etc.

Remember.  Even the BEST MOST EXPENSIVE wireless mic you can buy is ALMOST as good as a $25 mic cable------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim Halligan

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 06:57:58 AM »

Remember.  Even the BEST MOST EXPENSIVE wireless mic you can buy is ALMOST as good as a $25 mic cable------

This!

Wireless does not necessarily equal "more pro."

Added bonus with cabled mics: not having to worry about available RF spectrum.

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 07:30:02 AM »

Saw this kind of statement a few years ago, and really hits home. 

A simple wire give you (theoretically) perfect delivery of whatever the mic picks up to the desk. You can spend several thousand dollars/pounds on the most top of the range wireless system you can get, and that will be just about as good as a $10 bit of copper.

So you have two things to look at. Firstly the mic itself (the Beta 58 part), is the mic suitable in terms of sound and feedback rejection for your sound, does it get you what you're looking for. This will be especially difficult if you've spent a long time dialling in the settings for your current mics, EQing feedback frequencies or learning how to set things up to avoid feedback with your loud monitors. A lot of this work may have to be done again moving to a different brand or model of mic.

Would you be able to borrow/try even a wired beta58?  just on that alone you may not like the sound or may not get enough gain before feedback for your liking and that may rule that mic out straight away.

On top of the actual sound of the mic, you then have the wireless link: quality of the delivery of the sound from the mic to the PA, or how much is lost compared to the wired version of the same mic.

And as others have suggested even if you like a Beta58, PGX wireless system isn't great quality and you may well be disappointed. While again it may be worth trying it, we normally spec Sennheiser and try and tell people that if people want something that will replace a wired mic and give a good level of sound in this situation, aim for at least Sennheiser ew100, preferably ew300.

While I've not used it personally, the GLXd range with a beta58 would be roughly equivalent in terms of price to the ew100, and I would assume would be a definite step up from PGX.

k
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 07:40:59 AM by Kevin McDonough »

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 02:16:31 PM »

PGX and PGXD
Are not the same thing.
 I have the PGXD With an sm86 capsule at have been very happy. It's indistinguishable between Wireless and wired.
The capsule has great feedback rejection.
As with all Wireless units
 You need to keep the receiver/ transmitter close as possible.
. I've had no dropouts. No problems. No noise. No anything. It's a good product.
Of course environment affects performance of all Wireless units
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 02:53:23 PM »

I have the PGXD With an sm86 capsule at have been very happy. It's indistinguishable between Wireless and wired.

Maybe to you it's indistinguishable.  But that's certainly not true.  The PGXD is a digital signal, and it's leaps and bounds better than the pile of crap PGX system.  However, there are definite shortcomings that you can run into with the system compared to a wired connection. The fact that it's a digital system means there is latency involved.  There's a gain adjustment that needs to be set on the mic. If you need the mic to be able to handle a huge dynamic range, such as from different users with different volumes, you need to adjust the mic. You can't simply adjust the trim at the board like you would with a wired mic.  There's no remote gain control available.

The other huge issue with the PGXD mic is that it runs in the 900mhz range.  While this is nice that it doesn't have to coexist alongside TV stations, it does have to coexist with other potential licensed devices that are far more unpredictable.  It's not likely that a new TV station will go up in the middle of your show.  However, since 900mhz is used for other temporary communication devices, it's possible that a broadcast can interfere with you without any warning at all.  For this reason alone, I generally recommend staying away from this system.
Brian Jojade

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 02:55:31 PM »

In my experience, it's been great. Your mileage may vary
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 05:55:26 PM »

If you like your EV 767 look at the EV RE3 wireless system, there a solid analog wireless system.

The EV RE3 handheld systems will take Shure wireless mic elements and you can get just the EV RE3 wireless mic element and put it on a Shure handheld wireless transmitter.

Just get the RE3-ND76 system if for nothing else the handheld mic transmitter is better built than the Shure stuff unit you get into their higher end models.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 05:55:26 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.