ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Useful Rider P.A. Specs  (Read 10659 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Useful Rider P.A. Specs
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2016, 05:21:12 am »

Not that they are similar to the op needs but, I have always found Bob Workman's riders for the Charlie Daniel's Band to be about the best riders I have run across.  Plus, he makes them easily available on the band's website.

Bobby is also one of those great guys to work with.  Everything he does is for a reason, whether that reason is musical, technical, logistical or practical and he makes it all look easy.  It sounds good and his boss is happy.  Every day at the office should be so good.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Dave Pluke

• BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2016, 07:46:52 pm »

I have always found Bob Workman's riders for the Charlie Daniel's Band to be about the best riders I have run across.

I agree the specs are clear and concise but, any idea what his beef with A+H and Soundcraft consoles might be?

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2016, 09:32:37 pm »

I agree the specs are clear and concise but, any idea what his beef with A+H and Soundcraft consoles might be?

Dave

Assuming that he is a sound guy of "a certain age" [just like me] he probably has pretty good reason to not want anything by A+H or Soundcraft.  Back in the day both of those companies were notorious for having power supplies die, among other issues.  If i were in his shoes, my requirements would almost certainly be the same.  And yes i'm aware that things at both those companies are quite a bit different these days.  But EVERY TIME i've had a dead console mid show with thousands of people staring at me like i'm an idiot, the desk has said Soundcraft on the meter bridge.  Those kinds of things have a way of sticking with you.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
bdmaudio@gmail.com

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Scott Mullane

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2016, 07:09:30 am »

Assuming that he is a sound guy of "a certain age" [just like me] he probably has pretty good reason to not want anything by A+H or Soundcraft.  Back in the day both of those companies were notorious for having power supplies die, among other issues.  If i were in his shoes, my requirements would almost certainly be the same.  And yes i'm aware that things at both those companies are quite a bit different these days.  But EVERY TIME i've had a dead console mid show with thousands of people staring at me like i'm an idiot, the desk has said Soundcraft on the meter bridge.  Those kinds of things have a way of sticking with you.

I have also seen my fair share of XL-4's with dead power supplies. Happened/s to the best of them.

Scott Mullane

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2016, 07:16:27 am »

I also think that being responsible with your communications and actions with regard to the venue while looking after your acts interests is key. I do mostly fly dates and am the one writing and sending the riders for various artists, but I also will phone/email as a part of my routine to advance the show. Being non bias to brands, but knowing through experience which equipment is below par is also something that wins favour with promoters. They are all tools at the end of the day and we all have our own favourites, but let's not kid ourselves and believe that there is one brand to rule them all. Thankfully I get my requests more often than not, but am usually happy with most equipment.

As Tim mentioned, the decision needs to be multifaceted and driven by many factors. Musical, technical, logistical, practical and not least financial. Sometimes a venue is not able to understand that bigger picture, but advancing the show often takes any assumed or ill conceived press away.

Rick Powell

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2016, 07:53:27 pm »

Charlie himself turned 80 this year. Not too many musicians his age doing 60 dates a year!

Jim King

• SSR Sound
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2016, 05:08:10 pm »

Would it be better if I kept the specs, but prefaced it with a more artistic description and the words "ideally, here's what we'd like"

To me, yes -- that would make it pretty easy to figure out what you want. I might drop the parts about "even coverage throughout the space". I mean -- as musicians we all want that. Many events don't, though. They want audience to be able to decide how much volume they can take, and sit accordingly. If its the type of event that really wants completely even converage with delay stacks, the sound provider and promotor already knows it.
Jim King
SSR Sound, Los Angeles CA
http://ssrrentals.com

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2016, 12:58:38 am »

So much food for thought here. I really appreciate it!

I have relatively little rock-and-roll experience; my audio background is theatre (where PAs are often designed instead of being provided, especially in the indy/found-space world I did a lot of teeth-cutting in) and vocal jazz/a cappella (where, around here, the group is expected to provide their own PA for all but the largest of shows). I'm sure a lot of the people reading this rider will be in the opposite situation (rock background, relatively little vocal a cappella experience), though, so this has been really eye-opening and I'm going to go back and reconsider the whole thing.

Just to add the conversation, Merlijn van Veen (one of the Mods over on the Audio Measurement and Testing forum) recently posted a blog post that seems appropriate for this topic: "Realistic Goals".

Thanks!

-Russ

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2016, 06:58:46 am »

So much food for thought here. I really appreciate it!

I have relatively little rock-and-roll experience; my audio background is theatre (where PAs are often designed instead of being provided, especially in the indy/found-space world I did a lot of teeth-cutting in) and vocal jazz/a cappella (where, around here, the group is expected to provide their own PA for all but the largest of shows). I'm sure a lot of the people reading this rider will be in the opposite situation (rock background, relatively little vocal a cappella experience), though, so this has been really eye-opening and I'm going to go back and reconsider the whole thing.

Just to add the conversation, Merlijn van Veen (one of the Mods over on the Audio Measurement and Testing forum) recently posted a blog post that seems appropriate for this topic: "Realistic Goals".

Thanks!

-Russ

I think it depends more on venue and performer clout than anything. I do a lot of retirement home venue work here in Florida and one of my venues is an 800 seat theatre with a decent system that has been deployed entirely wrong. You would not meet any of your measurement specs in there. It is not TERRIBLE, but not great either. Bottom line is, the first thing they do on every single rider ever is scratch out the "Main PA" section of the rider and write "venue provided system". That is just the deal. They have done probably 100 bands you've heard of over the last 9 years and several serious A-listers. Not once has anyone insisted on a different PA and certainly not one BE has done any measurement beyond a basic rta.

It's not a properly hung system, but it does get the job done. I would LOVE to bring in one of our systems, but no one is paying for that, and no one wants to see any more speakers in the way.

In other words, unless you have some serious clout and a promoter with deep pockets, expect the bare minimum in the sub 1000 seat venues.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2016, 06:58:46 am »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 23 queries.