Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

From another forum -- outdoor hot tub panel for temporary power for DJ

(1/2) > >>

Jonathan Johnson:
On a home improvement forum, I ran across this thread:

https://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?129059-Convert-a-dedicated-50-Amp-GFCI-Breaker-to-an-outlet-for-a-wedding!

--- Quote ---Hello, I have a dedicated 50 Amp GFCI Breaker for my hot tub outside. It's fantastic and everything I need for the hot tub.

The problem is, I am hosting a wedding for 150 people in my backyard, in August, and I need all the electrical power I can get. My thought is... the DJ uses a tremendous amount of power... and if I could switch this breaker over to usable power for my DJ (and some exterior lighting), this would greatly free up some of the other power in the home for additional items, such as the caterer, air conditioning, etc.

I would appreciate it if you would consider answering this practical question. It's a problem I'm sure other homeowners have been faced with, with seldom anyone actually taking on the task.

Thank you very much
Mark
--- End quote ---

My response is the one named "Fencepost". What do you guys say?

(The guy deserves kudos for actually trying to get proper power ahead of time!)

Mike Sokol:

--- Quote from: Jonathan Johnson on November 14, 2016, 12:43:50 PM ---On a home improvement forum, I ran across this thread:

https://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?129059-Convert-a-dedicated-50-Amp-GFCI-Breaker-to-an-outlet-for-a-wedding!

Basically, the homeowner is asking about temporarily converting a 50A GFCI hot tub panel to supply power for the DJ at a wedding.

My response is the one named "Fencepost". What do you guys say?

(The guy deserves kudos for actually trying to get proper power ahead of time!)

--- End quote ---

I would check to see if the hot tube was wired with 2-hots, a neutral and a ground. If so, then install an outside rated 14-50 RV pedestal (stove plug). Tell the DJ he needs to find and bring a stove-plug 50-amp distro.

The hot tub "should" already have a 50-amp GFCI breaker installed, so the electrician should swap it out for a non-GFCI breaker for this hookup. If there's no GFCI installed, then the electrician should (and is probably required to) bring this up to code when he reconnects the hot-tub power. To be really safe for the wedding they should provide a few contractor GFCI extension cords.

Jonathan Johnson:

--- Quote from: Mike Sokol on November 14, 2016, 12:59:00 PM ---The hot tub "should" already have a 50-amp GFCI breaker installed, so the electrician should swap it out for a non-GFCI breaker for this hookup. If there's no GFCI installed, then the electrician should (and is probably required to) bring this up to code when he reconnects the hot-tub power. To be really safe for the wedding they should provide a few contractor GFCI extension cords.

--- End quote ---

I edited my original post above to quote the post from the other forum. The present breaker is a 50A GFCI, which I advised may not be suitable due to cumulative losses, but GFCI is still needed (in distributed form).

Stephen Swaffer:
I agree with Mike-if a neutral is present.

One hesitation on my part is that "temporary" hookups tend to take shortcuts-stuff like boxes pigtailed out of without proper closure, etc.  (Especially by non-electricians that don't know the easy/inexpensive ways to do it right).  Something like that in the proximity of a hot tub is a really bad combination.

Dave Garoutte:

--- Quote from: Nathan Riddle on December 09, 2021, 02:39:14 PM ---Use your Real Name.

Make a new thread.

--- End quote ---
This sounds more like a home improvement issue than a PA power issue.  Therefore, basement.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version