ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Samsung to purchase Harmon  (Read 7197 times)

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
Re: Samsung to purchase Harmon
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 01:19:56 PM »

Automobile electronics is a growing business, cars are becoming more electronic every year (not just radios).

JR

PS: Big fish is eaten by a bigger fish.

According to Forbes, car technology is over 70% of Harman's value
http://www.forbes.com/sites/samabuelsamid/2016/11/14/samsung-acquires-a-big-slice-of-the-connected-vehicle-space-with-8-billion-acquisition-of-harman/#3c66e6685eff

Its amazing how small our pro-audio slice of the entertainment electronics pie really is!

-did Samsung already have any pro audio under its umbrella or is this it's way of getting into that market now too?
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 01:35:32 PM »

I thought they were hemorrhaging cash over the Galaxy Note 7 and exploding washing machine debacles.  Guess their pockets are even deeper than that...

Dave

according to sammobile.com they have $69 billion in cash reserves. The Note 7 will definitely hit them in the pocket book but it sounds like they are plenty deep to handle the hit.
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Lyle Williams

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 03:02:31 PM »

Visions of SRX's catching fire?  :-)

Tracy Garner

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 07:11:50 PM »

According to Forbes, car technology is over 70% of Harman's value
http://www.forbes.com/sites/samabuelsamid/2016/11/14/samsung-acquires-a-big-slice-of-the-connected-vehicle-space-with-8-billion-acquisition-of-harman/#3c66e6685eff

Its amazing how small our pro-audio slice of the entertainment electronics pie really is!

-did Samsung already have any pro audio under its umbrella or is this it's way of getting into that market now too?

There is a race to equip vehicles with software as a service and the ability to pay for things from inside the car without the use of a phone or other appliance. A couple Samsung competitors are already further along with their development and partnerships. This also includes the public transportation market.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 07:20:55 PM »

I heard once (have no idea if it is true or not-so don't shoot me) that Walmart makes in 1 day what our whole industry makes in a year.

It seems a little bit far to me-but maybe not so much

Walmart sells around 1.3 billion a day based on 365 days a year.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ryan McLeod

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2016, 08:14:51 PM »

I heard once (have no idea if it is true or not-so don't shoot me) that Walmart makes in 1 day what our whole industry makes in a year.

It seems a little bit far to me-but maybe not so much

Walmart sells around 1.3 billion a day based on 365 days a year.

Many years back at a Sennheiser Training Session, very nice & awesome presenter named Volker, mentioned that the worldwide Wireless Microphone market is 4% of the North American potato chip market... that's always stuck with me.

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2016, 08:52:19 PM »

I was going to buy Harmon but I could not find a lender that would give me a loan with payments for 75,000 years  :(
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2016, 01:46:37 AM »

I was going to buy Harmon but I could not find a lender that would give me a loan with payments for 75,000 years  :(

It just doesn't seem fair, Craig.  :o
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Roland Clarke

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2016, 05:38:34 AM »

Many years back at a Sennheiser Training Session, very nice & awesome presenter named Volker, mentioned that the worldwide Wireless Microphone market is 4% of the North American potato chip market... that's always stuck with me.

I know a reasonably well known industry designer and manufacturer that told me that the only reason that the audio industry was so high tech were the number of "nerdy" guys that just loved music and messing with gear/tech, most of whom could earn a shed load more by just working for tech giants in Silicon Valley.

Daniel Levi

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2016, 09:08:47 AM »

I suppose the high tec in pa equipment is also due to technology trickling down, technologies that improve telecoms (I.e. DSP processing) also help the audio industry.
But it can also happen both ways, behringer were forced to discontinue the x-uf card for the x32 because the chip could no longer be manufactured ASDA the chip manufacturer had switched to a smaller micron process. The discontinuation of components was also the reason why the DDX3216 was discontinued.

I still can see parts of the business being sold off, primarily the pro audio side as this is something that they would not only need to dedicate resources to it's an area where they have little to no experience.
Sent from my Lumia 625 using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2016, 09:08:47 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.