ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QL side chain / key issue  (Read 4325 times)

John J Saunders

• John J Saunders
QL side chain / key issue
« on: August 24, 2014, 05:00:40 PM »

So I was doing a show last night and I ran across a strange issue with our QL1.

It was mostly music from three sources and 2 wireless mics.

Sources;
Wireless 1 - ch1
Wireless 2 - ch2
Music 1 - ch5 and 6
Music 2 - ch7 and 8
Music 3 - ch 9

I setup ducking on all the music channels keyed from mix 16.

Mix 16 was a post fader mix of ch 1 and 2 so that both mics would trigger the duck.

So music one worked just how you expect and the music would duck when one of the  mics was used. 

The problem was when I went to use music 2 and the volume was super low.

Checked the ducking and it's gr was down as if it was being triggered by the mix but nobody was talking. I disabled the ducking and it went back to normal. So while the show was going on I cued the key and there was nothing. Then tried to change the key to another mix and still it wouldn't release. So then while people were talking I messed with the ducking some more and it seemed to be responding to the active mix and I could listen to the key cue. And when they stopped talking the gr stayed on.

Thru all of this the music 1 key worked fine, so very weird. I don't know if it's a issue with the software or just my console. I will do some more troubleshooting tomorrow at the shop but just wanted to throw it out there and maybe some one has insight or suggestions. Or maybe I was just doing something wrong.

I looked in the ref manual and there is nothing about a limit to ducking channels or anything like that.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 05:02:41 PM by John J Saunders »
John Saunders

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: QL side chain / key issue
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 06:16:51 PM »

Checked the ducking and it's gr was down as if it was being triggered by the mix but nobody was talking. I disabled the ducking and it went back to normal. So while the show was going on I cued the key and there was nothing. Then tried to change the key to another mix and still it wouldn't release. So then while people were talking I messed with the ducking some more and it seemed to be responding to the active mix and I could listen to the key cue. And when they stopped talking the gr stayed on.

Thru all of this the music 1 key worked fine, so very weird. I don't know if it's a issue with the software or just my console. I will do some more troubleshooting tomorrow at the shop but just wanted to throw it out there and maybe some one has insight or suggestions. Or maybe I was just doing something wrong.

I would start with copying the ducker from chs 5&6 to the other channels and re-store the scene. I would also connect your computer with QL Editor so you get a different view of the settings. I have had them not match.

Mac

John J Saunders

• John J Saunders
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 06:35:13 PM »

I did try copying and pasting but will try it with the editor. I did have an ipad connected (but wasn't using it) so maybe that messed with things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John Saunders

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 03:34:54 PM »

Having the exact same problem. Was there ever a solution?
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 06:10:52 PM »

Quick addition.... Seems to be an issue when the channel is paired. You have to unpair and duck each channel separately.
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 06:10:52 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.