ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sudden issues in 600mhz band  (Read 1551 times)

E. Lee Dickinson

• Advanced Visual Production
Sudden issues in 600mhz band
« on: November 14, 2016, 03:13:07 pm »

I understand that the auction is still in progress and that at this point we're looking at at least another few years before we see any mandatory termination of 600mhz mics.

That said, in the last three weeks in Richmond, Virginia, my L5 band mics (644-662mhz - our out-the-door rental and small show inventory) have become virtually unusable. Shure now only lists 5 available channels in our area and even using those has been problematic. We've tried freqency scans (ignoring the recommended use channels from Shure) as well as manually setting from the website. In all cases, we've gotten continuous dropouts and RF hits across every receiver, even when operating in different channel groups. Same experience on multple gigs in different parts of town.

Practically speaking, it looks like we need to replace these immediately - probably headed to QLXD. But theoretically speaking, is there any reason we would have expected to lose the use of these kits virtually overnight?
E. Lee Dickinson
Advanced Visual Production, Inc
www.avp-ric.com

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
Re: Sudden issues in 600mhz band
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 04:25:03 pm »

I understand that the auction is still in progress and that at this point we're looking at at least another few years before we see any mandatory termination of 600mhz mics.

That said, in the last three weeks in Richmond, Virginia, my L5 band mics (644-662mhz - our out-the-door rental and small show inventory) have become virtually unusable. Shure now only lists 5 available channels in our area and even using those has been problematic. We've tried freqency scans (ignoring the recommended use channels from Shure) as well as manually setting from the website. In all cases, we've gotten continuous dropouts and RF hits across every receiver, even when operating in different channel groups. Same experience on multple gigs in different parts of town.

Practically speaking, it looks like we need to replace these immediately - probably headed to QLXD. But theoretically speaking, is there any reason we would have expected to lose the use of these kits virtually overnight?

These units' tuning bandwidth covers TV channels 43-45.  Richmond has a 112KW DTV station on 44 and a 15KW low-power DTV station on 45.  Several sources based on FCC data concur that TV 43 should be clear in the center of Richmond, including TVfool.com.  http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3ddfaf71aa7b3f2b  The FCC TV databases are notoriously inaccurate, though, so a scan with a decent spectrum analyzer may be in order.

PWS IAS shows 9 available frequencies available in TV 43 with its parameters set quite strict.  If they have been failing in a specific location, look to environmental factors like newly installed video equipment or failing metal-vapor lighting ballasts.

You'll certainly want to examine your antenna system, including any cables, for damage or failure.

E. Lee Dickinson

• Advanced Visual Production
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 06:22:01 pm »

Thanks, Jason -  I appreciate you looking over it. Channel 45 doesn't show up by default in Wireless Workbench, so I especially appreciate the TVfool link!
E. Lee Dickinson
Advanced Visual Production, Inc
www.avp-ric.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 06:22:01 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.