ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for delivery rental biz  (Read 3644 times)

Josh Evangelista

Suggestions for delivery rental biz
« on: November 08, 2016, 01:22:31 AM »

Hi guys,

Now that I finally have set my main Danley rig for small to medium EDM and Live events, I want to start looking for a speaker brand that will supplement my delivery hire/rentals. Primarily considering JBL, QSC, and EV, or any trustworthy brand.

For a start, I want the following packages:

Basic PA for 100 people
Standard PA for 200-300 people
Large PA for 400-500

I currently own 4 SRX835s and 2 SRX828sp. I was thinking of purchasing another set of the SRX sub to supplement the 4 SRX for a Double-Double rig if there's a need, and also I can have 2 sets for a "Large PA" of 400-500 peeps.

Questions:

1. What speaker brand and woofer size?
1a How many sets should I start with each package?
2. Since I am considering delivery dry hires, at pack-up, do you usually pick it up the next day or my guy should pick it up after the event, i.e. 11pm or 12am?
3. How do you deal with banquet hall rentals and gear pick-up times?
4. What packages are popular? PA, Band, DJ, Business, Wedding, PressCon etc?
5. I am providing an iPhone/Ipad connection. Ideally what length of cable should I provide?
6. How do you pay your roadie (per delivery) or do you have a permanent employee (8 hours) and how much?
7. If its out of your defined delivery area, how do you calculate the travel fee?
8. Is rental prepaid or postpaid?
9. Credit card is required, how much deposit do you usually require in the event that a customer breaks your gear?
10. How much deposit do you ask to cover a blown driver or amp?
11. Can anyone point me to a rental contract that I can use?
12. Is it good (or bad) to post rental prices online?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 01:28:12 AM by Josh Evangelista »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Suggestions for delivery rental biz
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 01:32:58 AM »

Hi guys,

Now that I finally have set my main Danley rig for small to medium EDM and Live events, I want to start looking for a speaker brand that will supplement my delivery hire/rentals. Primarily considering JBL, QSC, and EV, or any trustworthy brand.

For a start, I want the following packages:

Basic PA for 100 people
Standard PA for 200-300 people
Large PA for 400-500

I currently own 4 SRX835s and 2 SRX828sp. I was thinking of purchasing another set of the SRX sub to supplement the 4 SRX for a Double-Double rig if there's a need, and also I can have 2 sets for a "Large PA" of 400-500 peeps.

Questions:

2. Since I am considering delivery dry hires, at pack-up, do you usually pick it up the next day or my guy should pick it up after the event, i.e. 11pm or 12am?
5. I am providing an iPhone/Ipad connection. Ideally what length of cable should I provide?
6. How do you pay your roadie (per delivery) or do you have a permanent employee (8 hours) and how much?
7. If its out of your defined delivery area, how do you calculate the travel fee?
9. Credit card is required, how much deposit do you usually require in the event that a customer breaks your gear?

Thank you.

Have you found people requesting dry, delivered rental of this level gear?  In 3 years now of working at this level I have only done a handful of these types of rentals.  Systems either go out with a tech or are rented to a tech who doesn't have their own system (and is already known and vetted by us).

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Josh Evangelista

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 01:43:05 AM »

Have you found people requesting dry, delivered rental of this level gear?  In 3 years now of working at this level I have only done a handful of these types of rentals.  Systems either go out with a tech or are rented to a tech who doesn't have their own system (and is already known and vetted by us).

I actually got 2 referrals last month. I had to turn one of them down because I don't have any gear to provide for the size of her event, while the other one was interested in the SRX cabs but this client was 60 miles away and on the last minute has opted to go and purchase his own gear at Guitar Center. Im sure if you offer this service then the potential to grow is there, just like any other business. Right?

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 01:45:09 AM »

I actually got 2 referrals last month. I had to turn one of them down because I don't have anything for hire, while the other one was interested in the SRX cabs but this client was 60 miles away and on the last minute has opted to go and purchase his own gear at Guitar Center. Im sure if you offer this service then the potential to grow is there, just like any other business. Right?

I am not married to any business model just trying to understand so I can help you. 

Do the potential customers have their own engineer?  Are these local acts that will be repeat customers or itinerant acts?

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Josh Evangelista

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 01:47:29 AM »

I am not married to any business model just trying to understand so I can help you. 

Do the potential customers have their own engineer?  Are these local acts that will be repeat customers or itinerant acts?

Thanks Scott. I was actually just looking at this business model but I do have the option of hiring an engineer or roadie. I also live in a community of 800 homes so I like the idea of providing this service by myself to my neighbors on weekends or weeknights. For residential or private party of 100 peeps outside of my community, is there a need for an engineer to be on site if you just need to plug an iPhone?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 01:49:41 AM by Josh Evangelista »

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 02:09:32 AM »

Thanks Scott. I was actually just looking at this business model but I do have the option of hiring an engineer or roadie. I also live in a community of 800 homes so I like the idea of providing this service by myself to my neighbors on weekends or weeknights. For residential or private party of 100 peeps outside of my community, is there a need for an engineer to be on site if you just need to plug an iPhone?

Wow, a Danley rig in a town of 800.  I assumed with the gear you had you were providing for live events.

I only have 1 DJ client and he has only serves a single ethnic.  Honestly the SRX is a hell of a rig for playback from a phone.

You have JBL so maybe some PRX's or EON's for the 100 person segment, use the SRX for the rest and get a read.

The powered gear is damn near impossible to blow up without serious abuse.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Josh Evangelista

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 02:51:42 AM »

Wow, a Danley rig in a town of 800.  I assumed with the gear you had you were providing for live events.

I only have 1 DJ client and he has only serves a single ethnic.  Honestly the SRX is a hell of a rig for playback from a phone.

You have JBL so maybe some PRX's or EON's for the 100 person segment, use the SRX for the rest and get a read.

The powered gear is damn near impossible to blow up without serious abuse.

I meant a village of 800 homes, not a town hehe. I'm in Simi Valley, a Los Angeles suburb.

I've been reading a lot of threads here and people swear of making money from their delivery rental business. Living in a sleeper town, I think a 100 person gear for rent maybe promising.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 02:54:30 AM by Josh Evangelista »

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 02:55:33 AM »

I meant a village of 800 homes, not a town hehe. I'm in Simi Valley, a Los Angeles suburb.

I've been reading a lot of threads here and people swear of making money from their delivery rental business. Living in a sleeper town, I think a 100 person gear rig for rent maybe promising.

Indeed Simi is not rural.  Good luck to you.  Don't have anything more to add other than to try and leverage what you have before rushing out to "buy it and they will come"

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Josh Evangelista

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 04:14:13 AM »

Indeed Simi is not rural.  Good luck to you.  Don't have anything more to add other than to try and leverage what you have before rushing out to "buy it and they will come"

For sure. My Danley rig is going to be out on a few underground EDM shows in the Downtown LA area while the rental rig will be local. To add, you are correct that a 200 person rig will have to be manned by a tech or DJ. I don't think anyone who has an event expecting that much guests will go cheap, whether its a DJ, wedding, or corporate event. However, a band may use it without a need for a tech, given a band member or organizer knows how to operate gear.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 01:53:07 PM »

The easy money is in the throw and go rigs.  You can buy a pair of Eons, stands, and a mic for under a grand, and easily get $100-150 renting it out.  When you start getting bigger than that, your ROI starts to drop pretty quickly, as people renting higher end tend to be much more specific on what they are trying to rent.  Plus, A $10,000 rig isn't going to get you $1000-1500 as a dry rental too often.

If you're dry renting gear, you will have to spend time TESTING the gear that comes back to make sure it's not going to fail the next time it goes out.  The more complex the rig, the longer this might take.

Generally speaking, rental houses that make money on rentals do so because they have a large inventory of gear, and then also have a structured plan on moving said gear on a regular basis.  It's a lot of work for a moderate amount of money.

As far as your questions go:

Doesn't matter as long as the client rents and is happy.

Enough so that you can fill your clients needs, plus have spare inventory in the event of a failure.

This will vary depending on the venue. Some will allow gear to be there until the next day, others not. Scheduling staff to be there when gear needs to be removed will become a challenge, especially if you have multiple events that end at the same time.

Do what they ask. They have the final say.

That depends on your market that you target.  Personally, I like targeting customers that have money to spend.  Bands and DJs typically have none.  Weddings, sometimes. Business, usually have a realistic budget for business events, but not for entertainment events.

Long enough to get between the iPad and what you are connecting it to, plus a couple of feet. :)

This is market specific.  However, if you under pay, don't expect your gear to be taken care of, or them to show up reliably.  When we hire staff, we have a minimum 4 hour call, with extra pay for time after midnight.  If you are paying less than $20/hr for a part time roadie, I'd be impressed if they were reliable for you.

Depends on how much gear. Federal milage for a standard vehicle is 54 cents per mile, not including labor.  At minimum, I'd recommend $1 per mile, and calculate milage BOTH WAYS for all trips to cover vehicle plus labor.

ALWAYS prepaid.

9. Credit card is required, how much deposit do you usually require in the event that a customer breaks your gear? This is up to you. If you charge too much for a deposit, customers will balk.  Have a solid rental agreement first.

Design your rentals so this isn't an issue. Most powered gear is pretty tough to blow up. (this is really the same question as #9 anyway)

google.com

It depends on your market.  Usually rental prices you see posted are dry rental rates for each piece of gear.  When you are building a custom package for a customer, you can start with that and then discount as needed to make the package happen.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 01:53:07 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.