ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Loud Crack in PA  (Read 7191 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Loud Crack in PA
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 08:42:25 PM »

Yea that gets your attention!!

You said it still will do it with the amp levels turned all the way down.

Has anyone ever noticed any level metering, clip indicators, ect on any of the equipment
when this happens.

On the board by chance have you noticed any channel peak with an extreme amount
of signal level when you hear the noise, I'm sure you see all the open mic channels pick it
but this would be a slammed peak on a channel.

As for the monitors, is it in the wedges and in the M1 ear monitor system, that could hard for them
to tell if it is actually in the monitor system or they could just be hearing the sound picked up
from the open mics and that being fed into the monitors.

Do you have any direct board out recordings made at the same time you heard noise, if so
what's does the recording sound like, if you don't make a stereo maybe try recording
one till you catch the noise on a recording.
Maybe for the sake of testing set a multi track recording system to hopefully
catch something on one of the input channels.

Do you have phantom power on any channel.

Does it do it with the board muted and or every channel and the mains turned down.

Try moving/wiggling every connector and cable starting on the stage, to the board, to the amps, don't forget the power cords.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 06:36:32 AM »

If these are "new" power outlets in an "old" room, be suspicious of the wiring. That's when the DIY volunteers and painters do wiring that's not correct or to code.  I would start with a ground impedance test on all the AC power outlets. Back in the day I played in a bar that had new power outlets installed across the back of the stage. Looked nice with grounded receptacles, but while all the grounds on the branch circuit were tied together, the EGC ground wires wires never bonded to anything, it was all floating together. So when a cash register on the same branch circuit would open, the drawer solenoid would dump a big voltage spike back into the floating ground wire and make a really loud pop in the PA system, just like the one you're experiencing. See if you can borrow an Amprobe INSP-3 or SureTest Analyzer and confirm that that ground impedance is less than 1 ohm. Or just measure it with a voltmeter to confirm it's withing a few volts of the Neutral line while under building load.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 01:06:11 PM »

There hasn't been any recent construction and this only started happening once we replaced old amps, with newer and more powerful ones. 

Loose wire any where in the power system to the amps?  Older amps with linear power supplies might be less susceptible to an intermittent power connection?  Anything from a wire nut in a box to a loose neutral connection-though probably localized to the power amp circuit(s).  Run a heavy extension cord to a different circuit to divide and conquer the problem.
Steve Swaffer

Ben Haines

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 10:07:31 AM »

How is your clock sync setup?

X32 should be slaved to 'card' unless the x32 is the prefered master in the dante network.

So I've looked into this and it was set to external - it's since been changed to internal, and all dante network equipment has been removed.  Is it possible that the x32 is having issues within itself? 

I've been saying all along that it's a power issue, but have had trouble convincing our team to look into hiring an electrician.  Any way it could be power in a building maybe 10 years old?

Ben Haines

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 10:10:22 AM »

Yea that gets your attention!!

You said it still will do it with the amp levels turned all the way down.

Has anyone ever noticed any level metering, clip indicators, ect on any of the equipment
when this happens.

On the board by chance have you noticed any channel peak with an extreme amount
of signal level when you hear the noise, I'm sure you see all the open mic channels pick it
but this would be a slammed peak on a channel.

As for the monitors, is it in the wedges and in the M1 ear monitor system, that could hard for them
to tell if it is actually in the monitor system or they could just be hearing the sound picked up
from the open mics and that being fed into the monitors.

Do you have any direct board out recordings made at the same time you heard noise, if so
what's does the recording sound like, if you don't make a stereo maybe try recording
one till you catch the noise on a recording.
Maybe for the sake of testing set a multi track recording system to hopefully
catch something on one of the input channels.

Do you have phantom power on any channel.

Does it do it with the board muted and or every channel and the mains turned down.

Try moving/wiggling every connector and cable starting on the stage, to the board, to the amps, don't forget the power cords.

I can say for sure that it's not a loose connection.  I've heard those and it is no where even close to this loud.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 10:10:22 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.