ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Loud Crack in PA  (Read 5093 times)

Ben Haines

Loud Crack in PA
« on: November 07, 2016, 09:12:11 am »

Hello - new to this site and thanks for reading this post.

We've been having issues with a soundsystem making a loud crack sound.  It almost sounds like lighting.  Here's the set up - x32 through analog snake to stage - dbx crossover to two crown amps plugged into the wall.  I've replaced the crossover, the amps, and tried plugging them in different locations but it still seems to be happening. 

Unfortunately, the outlets all share a breaker box with things like coffee makers, fridges, and AC units.  Could this be causing our issue within the box?  The sound seems to be happening even with amp volumes down.  Here's a video of the sound.  https://vimeo.com/186150776/f8b148a907

Any help is greatly appreciated!  Having an electrician out this week, but not sure they'll be of any help diagnosing. 

Thanks
Ben

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Loud Crack in PA
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 09:40:32 am »

Hello - new to this site and thanks for reading this post.

We've been having issues with a soundsystem making a loud crack sound.  It almost sounds like lighting.  Here's the set up - x32 through analog snake to stage - dbx crossover to two crown amps plugged into the wall.  I've replaced the crossover, the amps, and tried plugging them in different locations but it still seems to be happening. 

Unfortunately, the outlets all share a breaker box with things like coffee makers, fridges, and AC units.  Could this be causing our issue within the box?  The sound seems to be happening even with amp volumes down.  Here's a video of the sound.  https://vimeo.com/186150776/f8b148a907

Any help is greatly appreciated!  Having an electrician out this week, but not sure they'll be of any help diagnosing. 

Thanks
Ben
Hi Ben,

First of all, per the Rules of Participation here on the ProSoundWeb, your Display Name does need to reflect your Real, Full Name -- since you signed off "Ben," and "Ben" isn't part of your Display Name, it's not clear that this is the case, which means your post may get locked by a Moderator and we will be unable to assist you until it's brought into compliance. Would you mind popping back into your Profile and changing the Display Name as necessary?

As to your problem, WHEN is it happening? At random? Or specific intervals? In other words, are there any consistencies?

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Ben Haines

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 03:19:53 pm »

Hi Ben,

First of all, per the Rules of Participation here on the ProSoundWeb, your Display Name does need to reflect your Real, Full Name -- since you signed off "Ben," and "Ben" isn't part of your Display Name, it's not clear that this is the case, which means your post may get locked by a Moderator and we will be unable to assist you until it's brought into compliance. Would you mind popping back into your Profile and changing the Display Name as necessary?

As to your problem, WHEN is it happening? At random? Or specific intervals? In other words, are there any consistencies?

-Ray

It seems to be at random.  There's no specific interval and it seems that once it happens, it doesn't happen again - although once it happened twice within 10 minutes. 

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 04:27:35 pm »

Ben, that sounds a lot like a temporary loss of word clock.  There is a known issue when using the X32/M32 and the corresponding digital snake stage boxes (requires shielded CAT5e w/Ethercon connectors to fix) due to ESD.  I think it odd you'd have this problem without an S16 on the stage but who knows?

If this problem occurs in the monitor sends, recording feed or streaming output I believe you have a console issue.  Call the Music Group CARE facility in Las Vegas and talk to an X32/M32 support person.

Should this be only in the PA mains the problem is most likely downstream of the mixer and involves wiring and not amps or crossovers.  Has there been any construction or other work taking place where the system wiring is installed?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 04:29:46 pm by Tim McCulloch »
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Ben Haines

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 05:06:07 pm »

Ben, that sounds a lot like a temporary loss of word clock.  There is a known issue when using the X32/M32 and the corresponding digital snake stage boxes (requires shielded CAT5e w/Ethercon connectors to fix) due to ESD.  I think it odd you'd have this problem without an S16 on the stage but who knows?

If this problem occurs in the monitor sends, recording feed or streaming output I believe you have a console issue.  Call the Music Group CARE facility in Las Vegas and talk to an X32/M32 support person.

Should this be only in the PA mains the problem is most likely downstream of the mixer and involves wiring and not amps or crossovers.  Has there been any construction or other work taking place where the system wiring is installed?

From what I'm told - it happens in the monitors as well.  I did a lot of research into that issue with the x32 and had reached out to care, but dismissed most of what I found because we're using an analog snake.  We also have an Allen & Heath M1 monitoring system in place via the dante card in the x32.  Could that somehow be interfering with our outputs of the console?

There hasn't been any recent construction and this only started happening once we replaced old amps, with newer and more powerful ones. 

Thanks for the help!

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 05:21:33 pm »

It seems to be at random.  There's no specific interval and it seems that once it happens, it doesn't happen again - although once it happened twice within 10 minutes.

The only thing more frustrating than something that doesn't work when it should is something that does work when it shouldn't.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 07:36:49 pm »

The only thing more frustrating than something that doesn't work when it should is something that does work when it shouldn't.

I had something similar in a church once, but from your video I can't see if it's happening. When the preacher walked across the worship platform and touched the podium mic for the first time, there was a really loud pop like in your video. He could then touch the mic multiple times after that without a pop. However, if he walked away and walked back to the mic ti would pop again. Turns out they had installed new carpet that was really building up a static charge when the preacher shuffled his feet. So is anyone on stage feeling a static jolt during the "pop"? That would be a big clue.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 07:44:04 pm by Mike Sokol »
Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
www.NoShockZone.org

Caleb Dueck

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 07:42:02 pm »

I had something similar years ago.  It wasn't static electricity, our first guess, but a dying DSP.   Took a while to track down, until I noticed it happen with no signal leaving the mixer. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Ben Haines

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 07:43:44 pm »

I had something similar in a church once, but from your video I can't see if it's happening. When the preacher walked across the worship platform and touched the podium mic for the first time, there was a really loud pop like in your video. But he could touch the mic multiple times after that without a pop. But if he walked away and walked back to the mic ti would pop again. Turns out they had installed new carpet that was really building up a static charge when the preacher shuffled his feet. So is anyting on stage feeling a static jolt during the "pop"? That would be a big clue.

Ha yes I've read about that as well.  No one reports getting a shock and sometimes has happened with no one on stage even.  Stage is wooden though as well - no carpet here. 

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 08:16:33 pm »

How is your clock sync setup?

X32 should be slaved to 'card' unless the x32 is the prefered master in the dante network.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 08:16:33 pm »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 23 queries.