ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Genie Lift Stage Roof?  (Read 15638 times)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Genie Lift Stage Roof?
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 12:20:59 am »

Well, just got back from playing the gig against my (our) better judgement...  Nothing collapsed, but I definitely won't be working on such a stage ever again.  I took some pictures of just how thrown-together the whole assembly was, which I'll share tomorrow.  I'm sure you all will get a good laugh out of them!  Really quite frightening that people get away with this!  The best part was when the stage owner gave permission over the phone for the band to raise the lifts by themselves!  Oh, and this whole thing was set up on sand, if things weren't sketchy enough already.  Of course when mentioning this concern to the group I get the usual "We do this all the time" response that always seems to irritate me.  Okay, rant over - going to bed!   

Roland Clarke

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 02:39:08 am »

Well, just got back from playing the gig against my (our) better judgement...  Nothing collapsed, but I definitely won't be working on such a stage ever again.  I took some pictures of just how thrown-together the whole assembly was, which I'll share tomorrow.  I'm sure you all will get a good laugh out of them!  Really quite frightening that people get away with this!  The best part was when the stage owner gave permission over the phone for the band to raise the lifts by themselves!  Oh, and this whole thing was set up on sand, if things weren't sketchy enough already.  Of course when mentioning this concern to the group I get the usual "We do this all the time" response that always seems to irritate me.  Okay, rant over - going to bed!

It's amazing this stuff still goes on, particularly when bearing in mind how many highly publicised stage failures have taken place in recent times.

In the UK it is reasonably expected that you will have a visit from a council health and safety inspector, particularly on publicly owned spaces.  Festivals here will be crawling with everyone, including environmental health and fire officers.  On some sites even using correctly designed or proprietary equipment is not enough, supply of engineers load calculations can also be required.

It was bought home to me after the Belgium stage collapse a while back, a friend of mine was having food in hospitality, backstage and due to be performing an hour when it happened.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 01:00:04 pm »

So as promised, here are a few pictures.  I'm sharing for amusement, but hopefully more people will learn to avoid stages like this!

The corners of the stage were rigged like this...  This is the upstage right corner:

This is the center stage span:

Zipties holding many of the trussing member together:

The whole thing...  It had a nice lean to it.  Of course there was a perfectly placed flag pole right in the front, and I'm taking no credit for any of the sound system.

All of that said, I located myself very far away from the whole deal!  I was even behind a tree, not that this would have done any good should things go south...

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 02:12:35 pm »

Im off to have a look at one of these next week, it's expensive and storing it's a pest but with all the legislation both as far as the structure strength etc and how it gets built, its about as practical as can be for "town square" scale events I'm hoping this one minimises our labour costs and  in doing so we can still be competitive price wise.
http://www.touartube.com/produits-touartube/podiums-et-tribunes-mobiles/podium-mobile

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2016, 04:51:42 pm »

So as promised, here are a few pictures.  I'm sharing for amusement, but hopefully more people will learn to avoid stages like this!

Zipties holding many of the trussing member together:

Wouldn't have caught me within 5 miles of that mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2016, 05:41:24 pm »

I also like how zipties are used to attach the lighting instuments to the truss.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2016, 05:45:47 pm »

Since nothing bad happened only means they will do it again.  :o

Scary
"At first you don't succeed, go back to the drawing board."

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2016, 05:53:12 pm »

I also like how zipties are used to attach the lighting instuments to the truss.

Yes, those were supplied and attached by the stage provider as well.  Since they can't provide a proper stage why should they have to provide proper clamps too?

Since nothing bad happened only means they will do it again.  :o

Scary

And that's the big take away from this, and the reason I shared this experience.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2016, 10:02:08 pm »

Im off to have a look at one of these next week, it's expensive and storing it's a pest but with all the legislation both as far as the structure strength etc and how it gets built, its about as practical as can be for "town square" scale events I'm hoping this one minimises our labour costs and  in doing so we can still be competitive price wise.
http://www.touartube.com/produits-touartube/podiums-et-tribunes-mobiles/podium-mobile

Congo jr. is a nice board lighting board. 

The amazing thing is it took a lot of labor to fuck that up that bad. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2016, 06:30:19 am »

Congo jr. is a nice board lighting board. 

The amazing thing is it took a lot of labor to fuck that up that bad.

Thanks Scott, I really like it.  It's actually the Congo Kid, as opposed to the Jr. which is just the programming section with the ability to add Fader Wings as desired.  There's also a difference in the number of total outputs, but the Kid is a great sub-10k console to have in my personal inventory and is a perfect fit for the types of events I usually play.  One of the high points is that it runs the Cobalt server (which is universal across the Cobalt family), so should I be in a situation where I need more horsepower than the Kid can provide I can rent a larger Cobalt desk and still feel right at home.

You're right about the labor too - it probably would have been cheaper and easier to do it right! 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2016, 06:30:19 am »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 24 queries.