ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Genie Lift Stage Roof?  (Read 15637 times)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Genie Lift Stage Roof?
« on: November 04, 2016, 05:37:53 pm »

Hi All,

So I got called in last minute to provide a lightshow tomorrow night for a small regional group.  Did a walkdown yesterday and the stage is one of those wonderful portable stages with a roof held up by Genie Lifts and ratchet straps.  Is such practice legit?  Of course it's outdoors with 25mph winds predicted.  Not being a rigger myself, I'm just curious how much common practice this is.  I've seen these stages collapse before during high winds, and I didn't think Genies were rated for strong lateral loading (such as from the wind blowing the roof canopy).  Not much I can do other than make sure my insurance is up to date or decline the job, but I'm just curious how nervous I should be with a fair amount of personal inventory in the immediate area...

Cailen Waddell

Re: Genie Lift Stage Roof?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 05:59:32 pm »

No it's not legit. Walk away.

It's conceivable they got an engineer to creat a stamped drawing with allowable wind loads but highly unlikely.  If there are wind speeds posted, with what weight hung from the roof?  Who is monitoring the wind speeds?  At what % of max winds do you shutdown and Evac?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 06:11:05 pm »

Depend on your proximity, you may want to run away. You can get a better idea of what does not work (and why) by reading the engineering report following the stage collapse at the Indiana State Fair. The 1,500 pages is a slog, but there is a good summary at the beginning. The Wikipedia article has links to the report, IIRC.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 07:07:21 pm »

No it's not legit. Walk away.

Contrary to what the Ventures say; Run, Don't Walk.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

John Fruits

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 07:17:25 pm »

In addition to your insurance, DO THEY have insurance?
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 08:12:43 pm »

Contrary to what the Ventures say; Run, Don't Walk.

That's exactly what I expected to hear, but I just wanted to be sure my concerns were founded before voicing the major concern. 

In addition to your insurance, DO THEY have insurance?

The mileage with this group varies.  I've worked with them a few times over the past couple of years.  Budget, insurance, logistics... all over the place.  I'm still trying to figure out who they hired to provide the stage and if that vendor has insurance, ideally while not sounding like a complete jerk.  On the bright side they still haven't signed my contract (12 hours from load-in), so I can still back out!   

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 11:09:33 pm »

Not much I can do other than make sure my insurance is up to date

Insurance doesn't help much if you're dead.

Genie lifts are NOT rated to hold roof systems.  25MPH winds have a LOT of force, and the chances of collapse are HUGE.  Stay far, far away from that sort of setup.

http://www.jimonlight.com/2013/08/12/another-structure-falls-stage-roof-made-from-genie-towers-collapses-in-north-carolina/
Brian Jojade

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 02:15:43 am »

No crank tower is rated for flying a roof system outdoors. Even if you use guy wires, you derate the lifting capacity of the tower by how much pressure you apply to the guy wires.
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 09:39:44 am »

No crank tower is rated for flying a roof system outdoors. Even if you use guy wires, you derate the lifting capacity of the tower by how much pressure you apply to the guy wires.

This - exactly.  So many people think the guy wires help - and they do but they derate the tower and without load cells on the wires there is no way to know how much you have detested the tower...

The labor savings in renting a small stageline sl100 usually far outweigh the increased costs when comparing to truss and towers and a biljax or similar stage - especially on uneven ground...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 01:47:18 pm »

The labor savings in renting a small stageline sl100 usually far outweigh the increased costs when comparing to truss and towers and a biljax or similar stage - especially on uneven ground...

This should be gospel.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 01:47:18 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 22 queries.