ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Powered Monitor Suggestions (<$600)  (Read 4866 times)

Richard Penrose

Re: Powered Monitor Suggestions (<$600)
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 08:01:02 AM »

I'm using Alto TS210's and FBT X-Lite 12a's as monitors at the moment. I've also got some FBT J12a's coming to try out.
I had both the EV ZLX12p's and FBT X-Lites here to compare and I much preferred the FBT's. I found the EV's sounded a little weird. The FBT's also go louder and deeper with greater clarity.
The Alto TS210's are fantastic value and a real step up from the older TS110a's but not as loud as the FBT's.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 08:20:09 AM »

I have limited experience with the M10, and extensive experience with the M12. If the M10 is loud enough for your needs, it's a nice, light-weight solution. The M12 is substantially louder, and has three handles instead of one (although the weight of the M10 makes this not as much of an issue as one might think).
I have also used the M10 for monitors and mains.
Sounds quite acceptable and reasonably priced.
Very light weight.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 10:18:24 AM »

I have been hammering the alto sxm 112a along side Itech powered SRX 712 for the last month. Nothing but praise from performers. Sometimes very loud stages with large horn sections. Clarity wins over spl with this nice little coax unit.  Very focused sound. Very impressed.

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 01:35:31 PM »

I have been hammering the alto sxm 112a along side Itech powered SRX 712 for the last month. Nothing but praise from performers. Sometimes very loud stages with large horn sections. Clarity wins over spl with this nice little coax unit.  Very focused sound. Very impressed.

Thanks everyone!  I wish I could listen to all the brands/models suggested, but availability in my area is slim.  I went with the Yamaha DXR10s.  If the DXRs impress, I'll add more.  Otherwise, I may get a pair of the Alto SXM112a as they get love here and I like the weight for a 12" powered monitor.  As usual, Mike Pyle is great to deal with.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 02:11:38 PM »

In previous threads the SXM112As have been noted for sounding great but not working on loud stages and that was the main reason I stayed away from them. Are you disputing that based your own experience?  Is there a caveat, like perhaps "works well when performer is glued in front of them" but maybe not so good when performers are moving around the stage a lot?   

FWIW - It is rare that anyone shares a wedge on my stages, so my use would be   1 performer=1 wedge.

Edit -For missing word.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 03:59:12 PM by Scott Olewiler »
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 02:50:51 PM »

This video was the first time I used the Alto. It was used as a drum wedge  on an insanely loud stage along with some SRX and k series wedges. Very happy campers.

https://youtu.be/CUZhH7N-LWQ?list=FLm956O27Txp0ppjL-VV1cJA

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2016, 08:36:54 AM »

The Alto's cut without sounding cutting.  You can just hear them.  Not much bottom and they're not going impress anyone at sound check.  But when things get going, they'll be impressed that they can hear their singing.

I'm kind of reminded of my old Polytone MiniBrute.  Where I played in Waikiki, touring bands would often come out after their concerts and sit in.  Their first response on hearing the sound of the guitar would be to switch to the bridge pickup so that it would "cut" through.  Then they'd step on the wah pedal to get more cut.  If you did that with a Super Reverb and listened from the back of the room all you'd hear would be an unintelligible screech.  I heard that in that room.  With the very flat Polytone, it sounded like a recording of someone switching to the bridge pickup and then stepping on a wah pedal.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2016, 08:36:54 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 24 queries.